2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a major upgrade consists of adding traction control, variable linked brakes and heated grips standard and it results in an increase in the admission price, then I'm happy as hell that Yamaha hasn't messed with the FJR any more than they did in '06. I mean look at all the neat "features" they introduced with that little upgrade: ECU programing screwed up for altitudes, melting ignition switches and corroding ground spiders that leave you stranded and best of all they added availability of YCCS, which when it fails none of the dealers or reps seem capable of fixing.

At this point, I don't think I would get rid of my FJR just to go buy a C-14. Having had it for a couple of years, I really love my bike and have had no problems with it. However; if I was a new shopper comparing bikes as I was just prior to the C-14 debuting, I donno which way I would go. They have added some cool new options and I really do like the fins in the faring.

The smaller gas tank is about the only thing that I see as a drawback. Unlike Scooter, I kinda don't worry too much about the maintenance schedule if I really want something so that would probably not be considered. I do like the included 36month included warranty that can have another 36 months added.

As said before, it really looks like Yamaha had better step up and start doing their part to meet the wants and needs of current owners and new buyers. It does them no good to have all of us riding our FJRs around if we won't ever buy a new one because they just haven't tempted us into it. If Yamaha made some major changes, I might pick a new one up, but if not, there is no reason.

I'm not dumping the FJR for the Kawi, but it would be interesting to have a high powered bike with traction control. That would allow you to get the most out of the engine and drive-train without loosing rear traction. That would be a great advantage for drag racers. Of course, practicing throttle control goes a long way for all riders.

I have a 05 fjr no problems at all . After going over the kawie if i was going for new kawasaki would get my cash . YAMAHA is just not doing the right thing by there loyal cash givin fans

Yesiree, that C14 is a real nice bike, handsome, powerful and modern. But it hasn't got a couple of things I really like about my '05 Feej.

First, is range and fuel type. Six and a half gallons of regular, at 45-50 mpg, will take me more than 250 miles between stops, and the Yamaha engine is working at a lower compression ratio with no computer tricks to alter the fuel mapping and no fancy variable valve timing. Time will tell how Kawasaki well those mapping tweaks work, and how well the timing "variator" lasts. I will watch with interest.

Next is an adjustable suspension to customize the ride. How expensive could that have been to add on from the start? The FJR has always had one, and manual setting is just ok by me. [That is, I don't need no BMW 'lectronic adjusters.]

I would like to have little hooks for my tank bag.

You new Connie riders have my respect, though, if for no other reason than to put a bee in Mama Yama's bonnet. Hope to see you out there.

WBill

Hmm... good reviews on the concours... I suppose I will have to check it out. I love the blue but disregarding the color the FJR is a helluva lot prettier IMHO. I wont be buying till spring so I have time to think on it.

Good on Kawasaki, a pity Yamaha didn't do a much needed upgrade on the FJR.
Pretty much the same after 9 years, not good for a flagship model.
Kawasaki did that for almost 20 years before re-designing the Concours.

I have a 2008 C14 bought in September and a 2008 FJR bought in November. The C14 is For Sale ($8800) because I like the FJR better, mainly because of the adjustable seat, Heat issues, Fuel economy and the refinement of the FJR. The FJR also rides, feels and gives me the GRIN factor like my ZRX does .

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Before my FJR, I had a 03 Concours. I loved the bike! I looked at the ST1300,FJR and C14 and ended up with the FJR. For me, the ST was too much tour, the C-14 had some drawbacks in range and styling etc. (Those fins on the bags! ugh!) It looks like Kawasaki made some significant improvements for 2010. (any range specs with the "Econo" mode??)

I absolutley love my FJR, however, if I was in the market now, the C-14 would be getting a very close look. K1300GT too much $$$. I have 07 FJR, nicely Farkled and $$ left over for two dirt bikes for my son and I to ride for the cost of a BMW.

Reading the 09 ST shootout (link posted elsewhere on this forum) helped me reaffirm my decision on the feejer... I still have plenty of time to waffle but the key items that they mentioned were the feel of the bike at all speeds. They basically said the connie felt much heavier and more cumbersome than the feejer and didnt perform as well in the curves and twisties. The connie they reviewed was an 09 but they also said they examined a 10 prior to releasing the review. They like the beemer over the feejer but no way am I spending the dough for a beemer. I'll still test drive the connie I guess but I think I will have a hard time getting over the styling!

Before my FJR I had 12 HD's and one BMW R800, but wanted more performance, better suspension and brakes, and less weight. So I traded in my '08 HD FatBob last Spring for an '08 leftover Yamaha FJR1300. WOW, what a blast that bike was. Fast, decent brakes and suspension. Bought the FJR on May 22 and put 11.5K on it over the Summer. Even won the mileage contest at the dealership where I bought it. But I only used my hardbags 10% of the time and really wanted more performance, along with better suspension and brakes. I also wanted less weight which meant I had to get away from drive shaft bikes. I really liked the '09 Kawi C-14 and wanted to check out the new '10 C-14 and Honda 1200 Interceptor, but both are heavy due in part to their driveshafts. So after test riding an '09 C-14, ZX-14, BMW 1300GT and K1300S, and finally an '09 Busa I decided on the Busa. I hated the BMW front ends and I know that BMW is having major issues with driveshaft failures, not to mention Dealer access, so the Beemers were out. The ZX-14 was nice but it had 1200 miles on it and had never been serviced and looked like it had been beat on, plus they wanted to much for a used '09 ZX-14 so that bike was out. Like I said I loved the '09 C-14 and was especially excited about the new Gen II '10 C-14 but again it has a driveshaft so that was out. That left the Busa which I test rode twice and loved. I got a killer trade-in on my FJR and got a discount on my '09 Busa so I bought the Busa. As for my Busa, I love how smooth the motor is, love the buttery smooth trans (doesn't tug at all when I put it in 1st!), love the way I sit in the Busa and not on top like my FJR. Man, I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

More on my '09 C-14 test ride: When I drove my FJR down to Heli-Modified to return my FJR riser I had an opportunity to have a long talk with Heli-Modified owner Mr. Harry Eddy (he's an Engineer and M/C Tech) about my FJR (he has put many, many miles on an FJR) and his C-14 after which time he set me up with an '09 C-14 test ride at a Kawi dealer. The '09 C-14 that I test rode after riding 200 miles round trip down to Heli-modified in Cornish, ME and back up to a Kawi dealer in Oakland, ME was an eye-opener!!! One of the things I HATED about my FJR was the trans which shifted like a truck. And this was before and after I serviced my FJR's clutch! Heck, I had a '63 panhead that shifted better! Back to my C-14 test ride. My butt was a little sore from doing 200 miles on my FJR but when I sat on the C-14 my butt wasn't bothering me at all. So chalk one up to the C-14 being much more comfortable! The C-14 shifted like butter and also has a 6-speed! Chalk another one up to the C-14. IMHO the C-14's engine (ZX-14 engine) is far superior to the FJR's and there are so many more hi-performance parts available for the C-14's engine, including stroker cranks, big bore kits, cams, etc. etc.. Another thing I hated about my FJR was how rough it ran and the buzz at 4K rpm (I expected a smoother engine from my FJR with it being Japanese). The C-14's engine was so smooth which is in part because of it's design and also from having a coil for each cyl. and not firing on the exhaust stroke like my FJR. Plus the EFI mapping off idle on my FJR was horrible with the EFI on the C-14 being flawless. Chalk another one up for the C-14. I also liked the inverted forks on the C-14 better than the FJR's conventional forks which are old tech. The C-14's driveshaft was also tighter as my FJR had a very loose ring and pinion. The C-14 also had radial mounted brakes. Chalk a few more up to the C-14. My FJR did have a larger fuel talk but after 200 miles I'm ready for a break anyways. So no advantage for the FJR there. And Kawi has repositioned the glove box so the only advantage the FJR had is now gone. In a couple of years or so I may get another ST and will take a good look at what's available then including (hopefully?) the next Gen FJR but as of right now the '09 C-14 has the FJR beat in every catagory, not to mention how much father ahead the '10 C-14 is!!! The FJR is a good, old school, basic ST but for the price I think a person would be crazy to buy an FJR instead of the '09 C-14, or especially the next Gen '10 C-14. YMMV.

Wow. Interesting observations and opinions there Alakso. But I feel compelled to add just a little counterpoint to your gushing account of how wonderful the 2009 Concours is.

One of the things I HATED about my FJR was the trans which shifted like a truck. And this was before and after I serviced my FJR's clutch! Heck, I had a '63 panhead that shifted better!
Not sure if yours was screwed up, but the only "klunking" that happens on a normal FJR is while standing still and shifting from neutral into 1st. In that circumstance, yes they all make a little ker-chunk. However, when underway they should shift nearly effortlessly. If yours did not there was something wrong with it (even after the clutch service). Some 2nd gen owners have had problems where their clutches would not disengage fully if the lever is adjusted too close to the bar. Maybe yours was?

My butt was a little sore from doing 200 miles on my FJR but when I sat on the C-14 my butt wasn't bothering me at all. So chalk one up to the C-14 being much more comfortable!
I have to ask here, did you ride the Kawi for 200 miles too? The reason I ask is, if one was to ride on any bike for a couple hundred miles and get a sore ass, they could then get onto any other bike and it would feel much better, at least for a while. This is more because the pressure points of one seat are bound to be different, not necessarily because one is better or worse than the other.

Of course, if one is really interested in long distance seat comfort, there is not a stock seat in the world that compares remotely with a custom seat from Russell (or Rocky Mayer), so to me the stock seat comfort is of no significant importance. The day a bike comes with something like onbe of the customs will be a breakthrough difference.

The C-14 shifted like butter and also has a 6-speed! Chalk another one up to the C-14.
My FJR also shifts like butter, except for the N - 1st thing previously mentioned, and it doesn't need a 6th gear. The top gears are very close in ratio, so the extra gear on a six speed is wedged somewhere in between the others (spaced closer). What this means is you will have to shift more often and end up with the same top gear. So I'm not getting the big advantage here. If having a sixth gear is important to you somehow then I guess you'd like it being on the bike. Just not sure what it does for you on a fairly wide torque engined bike though.

IMHO the C-14's engine (ZX-14 engine) is far superior to the FJR's and there are so many more hi-performance parts available for the C-14's engine, including stroker cranks, big bore kits, cams, etc. etc.
I find it amusing that someone that wouldn't consider replacing the stock seat would think of doing a full engine hop-up and replace the cams and crankshaft. :unsure: To me, I'd rather have the bike that already makes the power that I need and adjust for ergos.

The C-14's engine was so smooth which is in part because of it's design and also from having a coil for each cyl. and not firing on the exhaust stroke like my FJR.
You are confused. Firing a wasted spark at the end of the exhaust stroke does not effect the engine vibration in the least. The Connie engine may have less vibration, but it certainly isn't due to the ignition or number of coils. That''s just wrong.

My FJR did have a larger fuel talk but after 200 miles I'm ready for a break anyways. So no advantage for the FJR there.
Maybe again related to the seat non-upgrade? Mileage range is a very real advantage for the FJR. especially in areas of limited fuel availability.

Also, not roasting yourself in the summer is, although that is reportedly fixed in 2010 (but not the bike you are talking about). OTOH, my '05 is supposed to be wicked hot, but it doesn't bother me.

So in summary, it sounds like the Concourse was a better fit for you personally. And like any things that are in the least bit subjective, there is no accounting for personal tastes. Likes and dislikes, etc.

But I still do not see that bike as having some sort of a clear-cut, undeniable advantage over the other bikes in the class including the FJR. I think the fact that you didn't buy one says as much as anything about your post test ride analysis. I mean, if it had really been that great wouldn't you have bought one?

I like the new C14 a lot. That being said, theirs a couple of points Alakso conveniently left out. Premium fuel only. Out of major centers - like say, when your touring, is difficult to get. Just because your ready for a break @ 200mi doesn't obliviate the security in having an extra gallon of gas.

Maintainance - This is well documented on the C14. Plugs and Valves are a bitch (mind you, the FJR is no prom queen imo in this respect) with a much greater service interval.

Technology - the very thing that makes this bike so sweet is also its downfall. Electric shit fails. How many cars have you ever had where everything still works 5 years down the road? The variable valve timing via hydralics. I've had two NEW Kawi's. I like them a lot. Both of them, on the very first oil change I got out a *HUGE* amount of filings, brass bits, bits of plastic etc. I imagine the oil passageways to control that VVT are pretty small...

Regardless, the new C14 gives me a bone, much more so than the new VFR (especially since Honda Canada released the prices.. $19G's Canadian, and it doesn't even come with bags!).