2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will need to ride the kawie first . 2 years in a row best s/t . I remember when we were chatting about the same thing about our fjrs . If the ride is right and had the cash kawasaki would be getting some yen . Wish i never sold my 1975 z1900 and come to think of it dont have any good pictures of any bike i owned .

Last edited by a moderator:
Alakso,

That's just do dang funny. So personal preference for feel of the bike (like also depending on what your own stature is) and how well the bike looks to a different (from you) prospective buyer (or doesn't) does not enter into it for you? Don't you get the part where different folks have different priorities, wants and aesthetics? Because of your own opinion you just have to get everybody else TO SEE THE ONLY TRUTH that the Kawa is the better bike?

I test rode a ST1300, a C14 (2009) and altogether 3 FJRs this last fall before I made up my mind. I know on paper the Conny could have won, but for me the FJR turned out to be the clear winner. I was unbelievably surprised when I got on the first FJR that it felt so perfectly right (FOR ME) and quite nimble, and I personally thought it absolutely stunningly beautiful. I didn't like the ST1300 as much both because of the looks and how heavy it felt (that means only in how it felt to ME), and that is despite knowing a couple of ST owners that love their bikes and swear by them. The Connie for me was clear 3rd, and that was purely of how much heavier then the FJR it felt (to ME!!!!) when I test rode it, and because I saw it standing right next to the FJR in the dealer show room. I for one just couldn't get to like the C-14 design very much, and I tried to like it, since I had a friend with me that DOES like the C-14 design and kept gushing on about how great the M/C mags think the C-14 is. I also didn't care for the dash in comparison to the FJR (again, thats ME).

In conclusion, I would not want to buy a bike without ABS again given the choice. Since all three possible choices (for me) have great brakes, it came down to what MY personal preference is. You buy your bike, it comes down to what YOUR personal preference is, thank you very much. There is no absolute truth about which bike is better, you can only truthfully say that the Connie has the longer list of high tech features right now and feels like the better bike TO YOU. I think all three bikes are great bikes if they fit your personal preference.

The fact that the FJR takes normal gas and has a longer valve maintenance interval is nice but did not enter into MY decision making process. I have a friend with a new Beemer, and the dealer maintenance cost I see him having in comparison DID enter and ruled BMW out FOR ME. The BMW is still a great bike and very good looking, I just wouldn't buy it myself.

Enough of that now, my new to me FJR will finally arrive at my house tomorrow night. Yahooo.

Well said curppelt. The bike that works for you is the right bike for you.

I love my Duc S4RS but most people would not. Love my FJR about 50,000 miles worth. They both do great things for my soul!

+1 - I thought that was well stated.

Everybody has their own needs, desires, and requirements.

Thank gawd for that!! 'Cause I don't want anyone to think I have the same ones as BJ!! ;)

Thank gawd for that!! 'Cause I don't want anyone to think I have the same ones as BJ!! ;)
Eye thot yew wuz triplettes seartedly et birth (Fred, Barry en Howie).

:rofl:

"We thot yew wuz a toad..." says Delmar about Pete in O Brother Where Art Thou... :)

Eye wood bee prowd two kall Phred and Beery meye zygote-mates!

I had uh madmike skrapped off'n my heel lest weeek by thuh peido...pido...podia....phoot dokter.

Some of the rabid defense here for the aging FJR sounds very much like what old Connie owners were saying when the then new FJR was blowing away all the motomags.

Though I think any FJR looks better than any Connie, the new Connie still deserves a close look come replacement time. Yamaha upping the bar was good for Kaw, now they return the favor. Consumers win again !

By the time I'll need to shop, Yamaha, as well as Kaw and others will have updated dogs in the match. Meantime, I'm willing to swallow my pride and admit there may be alternatives available right now.

I don't think the defense has been all that rabid. I'd say it can be summarized this way:

Some folks see the new Connie with all the electronic-al wizardry and equate that to a better mousetrap.

Other folks are unimpressed with the high technology and prefer a solid bike that performs quite well without all the complexity (and potential for extended down-time).

That's about the crux of the biscuit. FWIW I'd say they are just different shades of the same color. Hard to get all that worked up over their differences.

That's about the crux of the biscuit. FWIW I'd say they are just different shades of the same color. Hard to get all that worked up over their differences.
Yup!

As I've said repeatedly, there are no BAD sport touring bikes.

AFAIK there are no "major" issues with the C-14, but since I'm not in the market I haven't paid major attention to them. It certainly has more "high tech" features than my FJR. Once the economy reaches a state that Yamaha will or can spend the money to update the FJR, it will/should also become more "on par" with the Kawi.

Some of us remember when the FJR was the new kid on the block. All of the current ST's can far out perform my personal abilities. If I were shopping today, nobody knows what I might buy. For now, the FJR suits and fits me and the FJR websites and owners are some of the best on the planet.

Others should buy the bike that fits them....issues-be-damned! I wouldn't think the maintenance schedules are going to affect most owners. I suspect most don't put the high mileage on their bikes that some of us do. For the percentage of owners who WILL accumulate higher mileage on, they alone will have to add that into their maintenance budget.

It isn't worth getting steamed about. I made the right decision for ME and there is no new bike that has caused ME to change MY mind. Of course, if my FJR continues to be the ownership success it has been, I may never replace it. ;)

Ack ! No, not rabid at all. Meant to search and insert a sarcastic smiley of sometype but hit add without reviewing. :derisive:

All the things that made this a great bike are still there and still as great as ever. Just pointing out the narrowing gap and lack of recent innovation that other manufacturers haven't missed.

Ack ! No, not rabid at all. Meant to search and insert a sarcastic smiley of sometype but hit add without reviewing. :derisive: All the things that made this a great bike are still there and still as great as ever. Just pointing out the narrowing gap and lack of recent innovation that other manufacturers haven't missed.
I agree Yammie will need to upgrade soon as the C14 is getting a lot of attention lately both in the mags and with the riding public. We know they have the ability to compete. Perhaps they consider the market/profit margins to small to invest R/D funds. I never could figure the one color paint choice in the US market.

I agree Yammie will need to upgrade soon as the C14 is getting a lot of attention lately both in the mags and with the riding public. We know they have the ability to compete. Perhaps they consider the market/profit margins to small to invest R/D funds. I never could figure the one color paint choice in the US market.
Possibly because, as a percentage, the FJR is "small potatoes" in Yamaha/Star U.S. sales. I wonder how much that would change if one were to factor in the sales lost to the C-14 because of its new technology? :dntknw:

I would still select the FJR for my own use, that does not mean I will run down its compeditors to justify my own choice.

The Concours 14 is a well egineered bike, has a slight edge in performance and has developed a dedicated following.

I test rode a ST1300, a C14 (2009) and altogether 3 FJRs this last fall before I made up my mind. I know on paper the Conny could have won, but for me the FJR turned out to be the clear winner. I was unbelievably surprised when I got on the first FJR that it felt so perfectly right (FOR ME) and quite nimble, and I personally thought it absolutely stunningly beautiful.
That about sums it up for me.

The ergonomics of the Concours 14 just don't suit me, and while this is highly subjective, the appearance doesn'y do much for me either. These are very personal things that others will not agree with.

However, I prefer the FJR in these catagories and I am not about to give it up for a very slight disadvantage in preformance that I likely won't use, anyway. I can't be alone in this line of thinking, people are still buying BMW R1200R's and Honda ST1300's and these do not match the FJR's performance, let alone the Concours; and people are still buying and enjoying them.

In the July issue of England's Visor Down magazine (formerly TWO), they did a 'group test' of Big Tourers: BMW R1200RT, Kawi C-14 Concours, and Honda VFR1200F.

Here's some of what they said:

• R1200RT: Most comfortable, weavy at speed, slightly boring but very capable.
  • Concours C-14: Very roomy, engine is really fit, poor linked brakes.
  • VFR1200F: best handling bike here, engine pulls like a truck, blurs the margin between sports bike and tourer.
After reading the comparisons, I came away with thinking that if Yamaha were, indeed, thinking of a Gen III FJR (?) -- they may be looking at a Honda VFR competitor? It appears Kawasaki's C-14 might've now eclipsed the FJR in terms of power and luxury accessories/equipment? Visor Down said: if you want to ride big highways (Interstates, etc.), get the Kawi or the BMW. If you want to enjoy twisty roads (sport touring), get the Honda.Seems?, a Gen III would do well targeting the new VFR...? :unsure:

One option that one one is thinking about or at least not talking about is that Yamaha may be considering canceling the FJR line altogether.

hate to be the bearer of bad news.

One option that one one is thinking about or at least not talking about is that Yamaha may be considering canceling the FJR line altogether.
hate to be the bearer of bad news.

Is that all?

How about this....my new ride....drum roll please....

IMG_1359.jpg

I have had it a week and put 1500 miles on it...and it is impressive. :yahoo: My roommate rode it today, said it was the best bike he had ever ridden, and I might as well sell my FJRs because there isn't any reason to keep them. I'm not sure I agree with that assessment but the second GEN C14 does seem to make the second GEN FJR seem a bit dated.

I have had it a week and put 1500 miles on it...and it is impressive. :yahoo: My roommate rode it today, said it was the best bike he had ever ridden, and I might as well sell my FJRs because there isn't any reason to keep them. I'm not sure I agree with that assessment but the second GEN C14 does seem to make the second GEN FJR seem a bit dated.
The new 2010 C14 feels "tighter" than my 08, I really don't what is different since the drive train, frame, and suspension are the same, but it definitely feels upgraded. The engine and transmission have always been super smooth but I just discovered a couple of months ago that if you put a load on the suspension, about 275 pounds (from stock configuration), it has a ride like a ST1300.

I thought that my 08 FJR was a better touring bike than my 08 C14 because it had more plush suspension, better fuel economy, and great heat management. I was wrong about the suspension, the C14 has always had the plush suspension, I just didn't realize it needed to be loaded (I went the other direction taking 35 pounds off by replacing the 20 pound muffler and riding without the bags). I don't think the C14 will ever get as good of fuel economy as the FJR with its open loop FI system but the dual mapping with an economy mode does work and the gas mileage difference between the C14 and FJR is probably going to be less than 5 percent. I think Kawasaki has also re-mapped the standard mode for more power because it sure seems to have more roll on acceleration. The C14's heat management still is not quite as good as the FJR's but it is a huge improvement over my 08. At 90 degrees, heat from the engine is barely noticeable, it used to be extremely annoying.

I'm not sure I like the new linked braking system but I will reserve judgment until I have to make my first panic stop. I love the switch on the handlebar that lets me look at 6 different functions on the dash and its sure nice to have a lockable storage box. I wish they had also put a storage box on the right side since there is even more space under the fairing for some kind of storage but that can be a winter project. The saddlebags are huge, each holding 50-75 percent more than the FJRs. Yamaha needs to dump its double walled bags and give us some real packing space. I have only used the hand warmers once and they are a nice touch.

I still think the FJR is a great motorcycle but the brief time I have spent on the new C14 has given me a new perspective. I don't think the FJR needs a bigger engine, what it has is almost a perfect blend of power, fuel economy, reliability, and ease of maintenance...but it does need to be smoother. If Kawasaki can make super smooth inline fours, then Yamaha should also be able to do it. The FJR's suspension needs to be upgraded, one ride on the C14 will show you why (and the ride will get even better with PR2s). Finally, the FJR needs to have more luggage capacity, FJR owners should not have to install huge trunks just to be able to pack enough for a weekend trip.

I really like almost everything with my 08 black FJR. I do wish it had a wee bit more fuel range and a guage that was more accurate though. I really like what I read about the 2010 C14 with one BIG exception: 5.8 gallon fuel tank. Sheesh even with the econo mode on the 2010, I doubt very much it will get one much past 200-220 mi. on a tank. I also have a 2004 ST1300A which is long in the tooth (6 years and 91,000 mi.) compared to the two others mentioned. But dang it, that sucker can get me almost 300 mi. on a tank of fuel, and it has a little bit more room for ergonomics than the FJR. Yes, there are some things I don't like about it, but for a long distance mile eater, it is very hard to beat.

I'll be waiting to see what Honda comes out with for a new ST based on the new 1200 engine in the Viffer, but if the price is where I guess it will be -- near the R1200RT (based on Honda's recent history of pricing), I'd be hard pressed whether to get a newer low mileage ST1300 in a year or so or a C14 to go along with my FJR (assuming I get rid of the present ST1300 in future).

doctorj