2010 with hot feet, 2006 didn't have an issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those wings are the poorest execution of engineering pieces of shit ever made. They don't really work, and when they are open, the bike looks like ass from the rider's position.

Don't believe that they dont work?? Just ask people which position does what. The way I read the manual, they get opened for cold weather to protect the legs. Others think they get opened for hot weather to disperse heat. Open or closed, I have never felt a difference.

I'll never open them again and ride around like an idiot with fairings that look half completed.

In the summer I feel a little heat on my left leg right above my boot. Does not bother me much because I know it is hot outside.

Now here I thought the heat issues were fixed on the Gen 2s...now I guess I'll just upgrade to another Gen 1 when my present Gen 1 is done.

You don't have the side wings kicked to the cold weather position do you?
That position is "wings out" correct?
"Out" is neither a "hot" nor a "cold" weather position.

The "wings", when out, deflect more of the ambient air away from the rider.

If the weather is very hot, you may be better off with them out, as you probably are when the weather is very cold.

At reasonable temperatures, you probably want them in.

When the bike is stationary, they do nothing.

If the weather is very hot, you may be better off with them out, as you probably are when the weather is very cold.

Now that's a bunch of hot air. :rolleyes:

My 10 runs hotter than my 06 did.

10 also shows a bar + higher than my 06 did on the temp gage.

I was going to check to see if Yama Mama was using the same temp thermostat in both years but never got around to it.

Now here I thought the heat issues were fixed on the Gen 2s...now I guess I'll just upgrade to another Gen 1 when my present Gen 1 is done.
Gen I gets heat all around your "lap", Gen II only gets it down by your feet.
Mine doesn't. At least, not any more heat than one should expect from a 1298cc liquid cooled in-line 4 cylinder engine. I can feel more heat off the pavement then off the bike.

To top it off, when its really cold outside I have actively looked for warm spots for my feet and haven't found one yet.

Again...Hmmmmmm!

My 06 had foam pieces down below the oil filter and I think there was one on the right side also. They are part of the heat management system. It might be that the tech (trainee) that assembled you bike thought that they were shipping packing and removed them. They look a little like they are just stuffed in there. If they are missing go back to the dealer and have them fix it. There was never any severe heat problems with my 06.

The only heat I feel on my 10 is at my shins, I can deal with it. All that engine heat has to go somewhere. Never tried the wing thing because they look terrible when deployed. Is it possible that the 10's are running a little leaner?

The only heat I feel on my 10 is at my shins, I can deal with it. All that engine heat has to go somewhere. Never tried the wing thing because they look terrible when deployed. Is it possible that the 10's are running a little leaner?
I don't see how these things could run any leaner. :blink:

GP

I don't see how these things could run any leaner. :blink:

GP
Yea, and I used to joke about catalytic converters on weedeaters too. The good old EPA. :D

Thanks everybody, at least I'm not the only one experiencing this. The catalytic converters are right in front of the pegs, i'm wondering if they could be the cause?

I have proofed out the wing thing. Same 18 mile run back to back. First closed, then I opened them and I did feel more heat on my shin/knee area. I have kept them open as I ride year round and it was 48 on the temp gauge yesterday afternoon.

Wyn Pro please help! Four 1/8" thick brushed aluminum plates with either a peg or hole for those lock screws to go in them. That area is indented and would accept 1/8" easy. They can just be big enough to cover the two rivets that hold the hole in place. It is really butt ugly and could use your expertise for those of us who want the heat in colder climates. I would think very easy to turn out since you are set up and skilled in metal working. Please consider this if you would.

Wings out push air past your knees and allows more heat to your body. I will run mine out in winter and would love to cover the holes if it can be done.

My 2009 at slow speeds in 40C heat was unbearable. Bought high boots to save the calves and put short heat sheilds on the pipe under my feet. No problems with stock, and now modified, exhaust! :yahoo:

I sold my 2004 (bought used in 2005) because they cooked my private parts, literally. I got nauseous after one summer ride and that was that.

I bought a new 2007 and the difference is enormous. There is some heat that I can feel on my left foot in the summer when I don't use my Tourtech Solutions (calf height boots). In the spring and fall, I just don't notice it. I now have 42,000 miles on my FRJ and I am in love with it.

I did a 13 day ride in Colorado, Utah and Arizona this summer, in sustained temps as high as 97, and never once did I have any problems with heat on my feet. I do have Motorcycle Larry's Highway pegs and they are a part of the equation.

Slardy

Last edited by a moderator: