2012 Adacks Ride 6-16-12

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, a couple other guys and I are going to be doing this ride in mid-May. Scranton to Johnstown via rt 30 + 30A Day 1 and Day 4. We're planning to break the Adacks part of the ride into 2 days (the other guys ride Harleys!), looking to stay Day 2 somewhere between Lake Placid and Ticonderoga for that middle night. Probably add a detour over to Lake George on Day 3, ending up back in Johnstown at the Super 8 that night.

Just wondered if any of you locals or guys that are familiar with this area had any suggestions for things to see or interesting places to stop along the way (food, entertainment, sightsee...whatever). Thanks!

BTW - I didn't mean to hijack the thread, and if this should be a separate thread just let me know. I just thought it fit in best here.

(Finally) had a nice weekend day here in CNY so I took a 200+miler yesterday up along Lk. Ontario to get my butt ready for the 300+ run come June.

Stock seat 'butt' wasn't too bad :) Lots of freeqn butterfly's in pairs, must be mating season.

Can't wait for the Mountain-ess scenery!

Please put me down as a strong maybe. And, if anyone is riding through Utica that morning (Thruway, etc) on the way to Johnstown let me know and maybe we can hook up OTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please put me down as a strong maybe. And, if anyone is riding through Utica that morning (Thruway, etc) on the way to Johnstown let me know and maybe we can hook up OTW.
You've been added as maybe.

see ya there.
Thanks. As I was thinking on this today a couple questions came to mind. I have always been very much a solo rider and my only exposure to group rides have been more parade-like Ride for Kids and a local memorial ride (short distances and no pace to speak of) so what should I expect? I am an average rider and have become fairly sedate the past couple years and wouldn't want to be a drag on the group should I be the 'slow guy'. I actually welcome the opportunity to learn for other, more experienced riders in the group as well.

Not to worry. We will have a few groups, one being a 2up group so you should be fine. Also each group leader will be checking for all in group at each turn.

We will be hitting some fun roads and some of us :rolleyes: will be cranking it up on them, but do NOT do anything you're not comfy with. We will be at the end of the road waiting. I'd rather wait for someone than see anyone get hurt, so ride your own ride.

All I ask is if you're last to rest stop then take care of gassing and restroom asap so as to not hold up departure. It's not that I don't want to visit, and I'm not strict at all. It's just so we get back before too late.

Art

Be coming thru Utica on TWay but it wouldn't be till late in the afternoon. I'm booked at Super8 and I don't think checkin is untill later afternoon anyway so I'm not in that big of hurry I guess.

I did the Fri & Sat nites, figured a few brews during the nites before and after the ride would be relaxing and the BS'n is part of the gig too.

And... don't b "nervous" on the fast or aggressive riding. I actually like both but I may be in the chill-down (2-up) group this time as I may want to take in all the scenery as I haven't been on this exact planned route before :) ...so I may be riding staggered w you!

Hope 2 C U there!

You can put me down as a strong maybe as well. I'm excited about meeting some of you who have given me excellent advice on farkles, etc. for my FJR. The Daks are an excellent place to ride.

Thanks,

Jeff in Pittsburgh

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been a fun thread to follow... I was born and raised in Johnstown NY...... I still go there 2-3 times a year to see my Dad and ski or bicycle ride. I have cycled most of this route.bicycle journal Daks

this IS a great route.... unfortunately I live in FL now... and will by cycling in France when your ride goes off.

Enjoy
rolleyes.gif

I'm definitely in. I made my reservations at the Holiday Inn for the 15th and 16th thanks to Priority Club Points I've earned. :) It looks like about a 500 mile ride to Johnstown from my home so it will be a nice long days ride up to NY for me. I'm trying to get of friend of mine interested in meeting me up there and stay for the Saturday (or Sunday) ride. If I get him to confirm, I'll make sure to let you all know. After racing to get up there on Friday, I plan on riding with the more moderate speed group and enjoy the scenery. I've been on many group rides and am really not a fan of the slow parade type riding, but I'm sure I won't want to be hyper aggressive either. If I'm asked to lead a group, I will certainly volunteer. My GPS will have the route loaded. Many thanks to Road Runner for putting this little gathering together. It is much appreciated.

In September of 2004 I started a rally in New Holland, PA (which is actually 5 hours from my home) for what was at the time a Honda Silver Wing (600cc Scooter) get together. It has turned into a bi-annual (Spring and Fall) rally which has been responsible for many friendships. Although I attend fairly regularly with my FJR and Honda SW, I'm not part of the leadership anymore as the event is just too far away for me to manage. The rally in now called the Mid-Atlantic Scooter Rally (MASR) and is well attended especially for the Spring event. In the last few years Can-Am Spyders and riders of the quieter touring bikes have been added. You can view the website for the rally at Mid Atlantic Scooter Rally

I look forward to seeing all of you there. Ride safely and enjoy the ride.

Well, as of right now I will not be able to attend. An opportunity for work came up on Saturday that I felt obligated to take. Now, should this be moved to the Sunday rain date I will most likely be back on board. It was a tough decision because this looks like a great ride and on roads I have been on before. Enjoy all and hopefully see you next time.

Well, as of right now I will not be able to attend. An opportunity for work came up on Saturday that I felt obligated to take. Now, should this be moved to the Sunday rain date I will most likely be back on board. It was a tough decision because this looks like a great ride and on roads I have been on before. Enjoy all and hopefully see you next time.
I'm actually the opposite of you "nervous",

Sat. ride is the only chance for me b/c Sun (AM) has 2 be the ride home, I got a JetSki date with one of my hotties for that Sunday ;) and the hotter the better cuz less clothes is a good thing, she's so crazy and fun, man... I will have to back out if the ride falls to Sunday.

think u can understand my reasoning...

kj_wend_beach.jpg

It is hard to predict the weather this time of year. I will chime in and say that if the ride is postponed to Sunday then Thingfish and I will not attend. We are heading to NAFO and must be rolling west by Sunday AM.

Sat. ride is the only chance for me b/c Sun (AM) has 2 be the ride home, I got a JetSki date with one of my hotties for that Sunday ;) and the hotter the better cuz less clothes is a good thing, she's so crazy and fun, man... I will have to back out if the ride falls to Sunday.

kj_wend_beach.jpg
Hey Top_Speed1, if Saturdays canceled I could always go and help unload those jet skis for you :rolleyes:

It is hard to predict the weather this time of year. I will chime in and say that if the ride is postponed to Sunday then Thingfish and I will not attend. We are heading to NAFO and must be rolling west by Sunday AM.
+1

In the northeast, you really can't gauge actual weather by the forecasts this time of year. Unless it is a giant system covering the region, almost every nice day will have forecasts for a sizable possibility of afternoon showers. Most days it never materializes or they are very brief is they do.

kj_wend_beach.jpg
Hey Top_Speed1, if Saturdays canceled I could always go and help unload those jet skis for you :rolleyes:
You come from that far away u would have to stay for a ride! ...she has g/f's too! ...so you may really get a ride ;)

Pencil me in as probable, two up, only available for Saturday's ride. Looking forward to a ride west of the Hudson river!

Latest posts