2012 SE Ohio Ramble - May 11-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SLK50 (Slower group this time, please)
Robert,

Thanks for the headsup. Based on last year and my own experiences after a getoff, I had already counted on that.

All the groups will be having fun at their own pace. This is gonna be an incredibly fun ride! :yahoo:

BTW, even if you are a mile behind the rider in front of you, at 60mph, that is only a one minute wait at the rest break.

So...even if people are in the same group...please don't think that I intend for you to go the exact same pace...because I don't. All I expect is for people to guard against the "group riding disease" of thinking you need to "keep up" with those around you. That is the last thing I expect you to do. I expect you to wave faster riders around you. The disease is real, I have to guard against it every time I ride with others, especially those I don't know.

I expect to wait for others at stops, as I expect them to wait for me at stops.

BTW, Ohio is doing some construction in some areas...so we will do some minor rerouting and tweaking of the gps files in the next week or so...so those revised files will be coming out soon.

Also, I will be posting groups ahead of time and as soon as all the riders have chimed in as to what days they are riding, I will put those together and post them. I am trying to keep the groups small, 3 to 4 riders in a group.

NOW....BACK TO POSTING WHAT DAYS YOU WILL BE RIDING WITH THE GROUP...

Last edited by a moderator:
Of those that are coming:

Who is riding the loop on Saturday?

griff

wheatonFJR

extrememarine

UselessPickles

PhilJet09

Ray

Gray Ray

Bockelrider and wife

El Toro Joe

John d

John d's friend Brian

Who is riding the loop on Sunday?

griff

wheatonFJR

extrememarine ( at least first half before heading north for home)

UselessPickles ( at least first half before heading north for home)

PhilJet09 (1st half)

Ray (till I head north later in day)

Gray Ray

Bockelrider and wife for first half before heading north.

John d

John d's friend Brian

...add yourself to the rider list above.

This will assist me in planning...Thanks.

griff

wheatonFJR

extrememarine

UselessPickles

PhilJet09

Ray

Gray Ray

Bockelrider and wife(slow is good for us)

El Toro Joe

John d

John d's friend Brian

griff

wheatonFJR

PhilJet09 (1st half)

Gray Ray

John d

John d's friend Brian

griff

wheatonFJR

extrememarine

UselessPickles

PhilJet09

Ray

Gray Ray

El Toro Joe

John d

John d's friend Brian

drc32-0

griff

wheatonFJR

PhilJet09 (1st half)

Gray Ray

John d

John d's friend Brian

drc32-0

griff

wheatonFJR

extrememarine

UselessPickles

PhilJet09

Ray

Gray Ray

El Toro Joe

John d

John d's friend Brian

drc32-0

DesignFlaw06

naskie18

griff

wheatonFJR

PhilJet09 (1st half)

Gray Ray

John d

John d's friend Brian

drc32-0

DesignFlaw06

naskie18 (Until he heads back home)

How did I get removed? Are we not welcomed? Make one small joke about Mother's Day and I get the boot. Sensitive bunch around here, I tell ya!

For this years' ride I got inoculated for "group riding disease".

I don't expect any relapses.
Each year we must sacrifice one bike and rider to the corner gods in SE Ohio.... I took care of that last month so we should be safe for the ramble!

Assume 2 key groups - big dogs and porch. put me in with big dogs rather than sitting on porch :)

Well, I did not scout last week due to weather concerns...instead took the little lady down to Hooterville to show her some good roads.

This weekend I was planning to meet Denny to scout...but the weather is looking sucky and work is clamoring for me to work some longer hours lately...so it looks like no advance scouting on roads I haven't been on before. Therefore, I will be a tad slow on some sections on Saturday and Sunday...more than usual even.

Denny/drc32-0...give me a call or PM me your phone number so we can get the route rerouted around construction. I need to do this asap so I can get gps files to those that want them.

The first weekend in May is my oldest's graduation from college so I will be otherwise occupied that weekend.

So the last thing you will see from me is a post regarding gps files...and the always reminder to ride safely. Can't stress that enough.

I will try to get turn sheets made for those that don't have gps thingies.

Ramble is but only a couple of weeks away.

As a reminder, I like Fat Tire, Blue Moon, and the like...Miller High Life will do in a pinch. :) ...and don't bring a bunch. I only drink a max of about two beers after a days ride.

Happy Riding! :clapping:

griff

wheatonFJR

extrememarine

UselessPickles

PhilJet09

Ray

Gray Ray

El Toro Joe

John d

John d's friend Brian

drc32-0

DesignFlaw06

naskie18

Abercrombie FJR

griff

wheatonFJR

PhilJet09 (1st half)

Gray Ray

John d

John d's friend Brian

drc32-0

DesignFlaw06

naskie18 (Until he heads back home)

Abercrombie FJR

How did I get removed? Are we not welcomed? Make one small joke about Mother's Day and I get the boot. Sensitive bunch around here, I tell ya!

...speaking of county roads,a small section of Washington county road 42(Stanleysville Rd)

IMG_2076.jpg
Just looking at that road makes a flat lander like me wonder what I'm getting my self into. The only corners we have In ND are section line intersections.

...speaking of county roads,a small section of Washington county road 42(Stanleysville Rd)

IMG_2076.jpg
Just looking at that road makes a flat lander like me wonder what I'm getting my self into. The only corners we have In ND are section line intersections.

From a fellow flatlander, I aims to tell you that you are in for a bunch of fun. :yahoo:

Just take it slow and at a pace that YOU are comfortable with. There is no need to crash or hurt yourself and wreck your bike just to try to keep up with those around you ever. You will have plenty of fun at whatever pace you are riding.

I tend to put newbies not used to this area in a "less fast" group...so you can all build up to speed at whatever pace you feel comfortable with.

I know that I will be starting out slowly and taking it easy until I get my SE Ohio "sea legs".

I will be posting up some preliminary group parings as soon as everybody has responded to the Sat/Sun attendance post...

IMG_2076.jpg

From a fellow flatlander, I aims to tell you that you are in for a bunch of fun. :yahoo:

Just take it slow and at a pace that YOU are comfortable with. There is no need to crash or hurt yourself and wreck your bike just to try to keep up with those around you ever. You will have plenty of fun at whatever pace you are riding.

I tend to put newbies not used to this area in a "less fast" group...so you can all build up to speed at whatever pace you feel comfortable with.

I know that I will be starting out slowly and taking it easy until I get my SE Ohio "sea legs".

I will be posting up some preliminary group parings as soon as everybody has responded to the Sat/Sun attendance post...

Sounds great! My PR3's have no chicken strips and my sacrificial foot rest bolts are well worn so I'm not affraid to corner hard but I will be riding smart being out there by myself 1000 miles from home. I joke about the poor riding in ND but we do have some great curvey roads and good scenery just across the river in Minnesota lake country.

I've really begun to practice what I preach as an MSF RiderCoach the last few years. I've reduced my trail braking into blind or unknown corners and love to power through the corners when I have determined the road is clear. I've finally figured out it saves on the wide eyed, white knuckled, anal clenching right before the appex.

I've really begun to practice what I preach as an MSF RiderCoach the last few years. I've reduced my trail braking into blind or unknown corners and love to power through the corners when I have determined the road is clear. I've finally figured out it saves on the wide eyed, white knuckled, anal clenching right before the appex.
I really appreciate your post here. Several of us are active racers, track day riders, and instructors. We all seem to have much more reservation on the road than before we started racing. At the track we know where the road goes up ahead, no cars, and if there is a issue (hopefully) a corner worker is waving a flag telling us something is in the way ahead. on the road I go into a turn a little slower assuming there is gravel or a car crowding my lane. I go deeper into corner before turning in, if road is clear then I can turn sharp and use the gas to the determine how wide I want to make my exit. Going deep and turing sharp is what we are taught in race school and the best motorcycle rideing books state the same thing. You get good visablity into the turn, you turn once and then control your exit via acceleration. If done properly it is virtually impossible to run wide into a corner. And you get to experience the awesome torque of the FJR as you wail out :yahoo: