2012 SE Ohio Ramble - May 11-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Room is booked! Nick is hoping to squeeze another day of vacation, otherwise he'll leave on Sunday night. I'm staying til Monday regardless.

Tim - Things are taking shape now - there may be a couple us departing Friday. UselessPickles and I are coordinating departure time now. We're both near Detroit. I am hoping to hit the road by 1 or so, and stopping at the Ironpony.com store in Columbus. Maybe you could catch us around there, or we'll see you in Caldwell.

Wayne

My departure from Holland will be depending on when Nick can get out of work. The idea is to meet with him just past Toledo. Worst case, he should be able to leave by 3, which means Toledo by 4. Not sure how that fits in to your timetable. Pretty sure I'm going to go back on Monday by Cleveland to stop at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame with or without Nick. Anyone else is welcome to come with.

That's great. The routes are getting tweaked as I fit lunch and gas stops in...and adjust to "get more good roads" in the route.

We may or may not venture into WV in the east loop...I'm still looking at that. There is so much on this side of the river...I hate to miss any of it. :yahoo:

This ride is sounding good to me.

So I'm working out the details with the wife for me make the trip out and join in on the fun.

The timing for work is bad for me but shouldn't be a problem,

since the policy is "if you don't work you don't get paid".

For me it would be along trip but I'd like to do both days.

I'll keep you posted and make reservations as soon as possible.

Peter

Hope you can make it Peter. I guarantee a curve or two is to be had. :)

We're about the same distance away...but you got me beat...just a little farther. So far, you would be the long distance award winner (which is a hearty handshake and a hurrah).

Last edited by a moderator:
Routes are looking pretty good so far, Mark.

Unfortunately my spring is booked up with work and kid stuff.

Have a fun and safe ride!

Routes are looking pretty good so far, Mark.

Unfortunately my spring is booked up with work and kid stuff.

Have a fun and safe ride!
Sorry you can't make it this year Bryan...still tweaking Denny's great suggestions on the routes. They will be chock full of curves both days...

Just a thought - Of the riders attending, what flavor communication (if any) are they running? I will have GMRS / FRS bike to bike. Maybe this will help Mark pair up lead / sweep teams.

I'm not sure how many people will have comms, I usually haven't seen much...but good question Wayne. I have a SENA headset.

I think the Ohio riders communicate by (cigar)smoke signals...

EDIT: I usually communicate to people riding my ass by waving them around me...and seeing how long it takes them to get lost.

btw: The final routes have been worked on a lot this week...gonna be two OUTSTANDING days of riding. I feel sorry for anybody that's gonna miss any of it.

The final routes won't look too much like the initial routes...man there is a lot of good stuff out there! :yahoo: I made the command decision to not cross the river into WV. I am staying this side of the Ohio and wringing every squirrelly looking road into the route.

Uselesspickles is going to hate you for that. Looks like Sunday might be a long day...
UselessPickles needs to get his mind right and stay for refreshments and imbibements after the Sunday ride...set a spell...take the load off...rent a room and leave early in the am. I repeat...you do not want to miss Sunday's ride.

That's right Lukey boy! ;)

I'm not sure how many people will have comms, I usually haven't seen much...but good question Wayne. I have a SENA headset.

I think the Ohio riders communicate by (cigar)smoke signals...

EDIT: I usually communicate to people riding my ass by waving them around me...and seeing how long it takes them to get lost.

Nick and I both have the J&M CB. I do have a ChaseCam bullet camera to record some of the rides that I plan to bring along as well. That way we can get some video of the ride and some shots of the riders as well.

BTW, I have gas stops at approximately 175 miles max which is easy for an FJR, even at gas guzzling rates. Those with other brands will need to take note. Let me know if this is an issue. If it is, maybe your riding buddy can stop with you at the gas stop and you can catch up to the gang afterwards. Or take a gas stop while the FJR riders are taking a rest break. The morning breaks are 2 hours max apart...a lunch break for an hour...and afternoon breaks 1 to 1 1/2 hours max.

These amount of stops/breaks have generally been sufficient on past Rambles. Again, each riding group can make it's "own rules" as far as breaks and stops are concerned. Mine are just the suggested ones.

Nick and I both have the J&M CB. I do have a ChaseCam bullet camera to record some of the rides that I plan to bring along as well. That way we can get some video of the ride and some shots of the riders as well.
I've also acquired a video camera, though I haven't tested it yet, nor have I figured out where/how to mount it, but I've got some time for that, I suppose.

BTW, I have gas stops at approximately 175 miles max which is easy for an FJR, even at gas guzzling rates. Those with other brands will need to take note. Let me know if this is an issue.
That'll be fine for me as well. The Sprint doesn't have quite the range of the FJR, but I can still get 200 miles between fill-ups without an issue.

BTW, I have gas stops at approximately 175 miles max which is easy for an FJR,
oh, great. I'm going to need to carry a couple of these:

64004700.jpg