2012 SE Ohio Ramble - May 11-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheating would involve trailering to Caldwell with a fresh set of Pilot Powers spooned on.

How about I run a zero map in the PC-V and only use the front brakes for stop signs?

Just a thought - Of the riders attending, what flavor communication (if any) are they running? I will have GMRS / FRS bike to bike. Maybe this will help Mark pair up lead / sweep teams.
I've got a couple of empty soup cans and a shit-wad of string...

:blink:

Other 'n that, just hand signals.

:fuck:

Just a thought - Of the riders attending, what flavor communication (if any) are they running? I will have GMRS / FRS bike to bike. Maybe this will help Mark pair up lead / sweep teams.
I've got GMRS/FRS also.

Uselesspickles is going to hate you for that. Looks like Sunday might be a long day...
If one of Barry's sheep has an unfortunate accident, maybe I can fill in for her and earn some extra money during the next Tech Day to help pay for an extra night in the hotel.

It is looking like one of my non-FJR riding co-workers (he rides a Buell) is interested in coming down as well.

You'll like him - he's a nerd.

Hey Guy's,

Had a chance yesterday to do some "RECON" in SE Ohio for you'se. Weather was unusually warm for March, 72 and sunny.

I'd almost forgotten how many blind "Over the Tops " there are down there. [Just a little heads up] for those who've never been down here before. NOTE: As long as your not the leader you'll do just fine. That is as long as the leader doesn't blow the corner just past the blind top! and everybody follows suit that is.

Road conditions were as to be expected for early March dusty and gravelly, I didn't see if the Northern part of the "Triple Nickel" was in the route selection, but if it is the portions South of Ringold was pretty good.

800 was great

78 same

26 [Which has become my favorite road down there] was perfect, smooth, fast, traffic free!

536 is getting rough but hey what trip to SE Ohio would be the same without runnin the Tail of the Dragon Ohio style!

Unfortunately with the clocks still on winter time it gets dark early and that was about all I had time for at "Breakneck Speeds"

Unfortunately for me my wife's and youngest daughter's birthday are that weekend, I'm sure you'se guy's can figure out my plans, yep! House full of friends.

Guy's have a great time without me, and keep the rubber side down!!!!!!

And don't let my brother drink up all the Beer, his doctor say's his liver is on [as well as him] there last legs!!!

Dastardly Dave Moto-Series #65

Well Denny/drc32-0 is a local that has helped me as always to try and put together some good roads for all who come ride this thing called "The Ramble." I was shown a few roads by others, but Denny has been the primary recommender of roads in this area...so thank him for all the good roads you guys will ride in May...buy him a beer or sumpin, you cheapskates! :)

The finalized routes are booked and I have gpx files to send out to those that want them. I have some jpeg files from MS S&T of the routes...they are included below.

As a recap, remember that we are doing two days of Ramble this year. Saturday will be east of the Interstate, and Sunday will be west of the Interstate over to the Hocking Hills area.

Saturday - East Route, 300 miles (plus/minus)

2012RambleEastLoop300miles.jpg

East route - beginning and end of route

2012RambleEastLoopsouthwestportion.jpg

East Route - middle portion of route

2012RambleEastLoopnortheastportion.jpg

Sunday - West Route to Hocking Hills, 360 miles (plus/minus)

2012RambleWestLoop360miles.jpg

West route - beginning and end of route

2012RambleWestLoopbegin-endportion.jpg

West Route - Hocking Hills area

2012RambleWestLoopHockingHillsportion.jpg

West Route - Athens/555 portion

2012RambleWestLoopAthens-555portion.jpg

Sooooooo....as you can see, there's enough riding to keep everybody happy for a little while. All I ask for the small bit of work to organize this is :

1. Everybody ride in such a way to keep the rubber side down
  2. Be respectful of the riders around you and give them plenty of space
  3. Be respectful of the people in the area that we come in contact with, whether at the motel or while passing during the ride
  4. Have fun during the ride and after the ride in the parking lot swapping stories of the awesome curves
  5. Buy me a good beer.
I will hopefully be able to make up some turn by turn directions by May...I won't be making maps...but will highlight your map if you bring it to me the night before the ride.

I will have a rider's meeting the night before the ride to go over the the route, and talk about stops along the route, and firm up the rider groups.

Really looking forward to this ride...updating the first post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

Thanks for all the work - what would be your adult beverage of choice?

You are really making it hard for me to head home Sunday morning...

Wayne

Hey Guy's,

Looks like a lot of roads I've never run on the west side of 77, If I wouldn't lose my happy home I'd break away even if it's just for one of the 2 days. My brother has a room so I suppose I could sleep on a cot if push comes to shove. I'll keep you guy's posted [as if anybody cares] as the weekend gets closer.

While I'm typing a couple of us went down to Jennings GP in Fla. a couple of weekends ago, if anybody wants to do a "TrackDay" at a really nice track I'd recommend Jennings any day! Man 70deg. today can you believe it in March in Cleveland, Thank God for Global warming!!

I'm going out side in a little bit and burn a couple of old tires, you guy's understand I want to do my small part in the whole "Global Warming" thing. Keep the shiny parts shiny!!!

Dastardly Dave

Thanks for all the work - what would be your adult beverage of choice?
I doubt if the local beer store has Goose Island, or Blue Moon, or that ilk, but I typically am not too choosy...nothing that says "Lite", "Light", or BUD on it. If you have a favorite, just get it and bring me one.

You are really making it hard for me to head home Sunday morning...
That's the whole point Wayne. Don't. Although Saturday is chock full of curves, Sunday has some that you will not want to miss. The Ohio riders know what I'm talking about. :yahoo:

There's even some new great roads on this Ramble that Denny hadn't ridden until scouting for this 2012 Ramble...and he's a local! :clapping:

• Buy me a good beer.
What's your definition of "good?"
Well....I REALLY like Tall Timber Ale from my visit to Nakusp, BC...but what I like and other's like will be different. I've stated some preferences a couple posts above...but it has been rare for me to refuse a beer from a friend...even if it does say "Lite", or "Light", or BUD on the label.

Edit: One last thing that I ask from the participants...please...if you must return to work after the Ramble with a grin pasted onto your face...PLEASE tell them about the great time you had SLAYING THE DRAGON! Tell them about all your exploits down there.... :clapping: :clapping:

:lol: