2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me Too! I like it but, I'll wait a few years for it to get road tested. Not gonna jump yet until the AE version shows up on our shores. :)
Keep on dreaming. With how poorly they sold here, we'll see a model year that brings us two color options before we see another AE in the USA.
Bite your Tongue Gixxer, it'll sell so well across the pond that, they'll have no choice but to sell some here. The AE didn't sell a lot here but, they sold enough to matter. :p I'll Buy One!! :clapping:
Your only hope is that they sell so terribly across the pond that the inventory stacks up that they figure...what the heck, toss the Americans a bone.
I'm a Glass Half Full Type of Guy. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I like all the updates, and i like the fact that they didn't make everything new.

It looks like it has the same rear end and seat, same bars and mirrors, same bags which is fine by me. I can see lots of folks hanging on to their favorite gen II seats, top cases and mounts, bar risers, throttlemeister, etc.

I want THIS one:

2013-Yamaha-FJR1300A-EU-Midnight-Black-Studio-001.jpg

I like the looks...but while all you rich freaks buy new bikes, I'll be out slummin' in my '04 in Missouri and Arkansas not caring at all whether there's any freakin' LEDs on the front or back of my bike. Just trying to see how much horsepower I can get out of this bike while riding past Billy Joe and Bobby Sue in their pickup. :yahoo:
I saw them on the way home from the 2nd SFO! Had pulled into a scenic lookout and, as I was mounting up to head out, that rusted old pickup pulled in, Billy Joe hopped out (no shirt, cut offs, no shoes) followed by a VERY pregnant Bobby Sue (again, no shoes, cut offs, and a tube top). Classy! I was "this close" to thinking about moving for the roads...

For those of you who have went the next step and checked on pricing, what are you seeing for a "less than MSRP" price?

Here's another thread started if you'd like to post your findings there:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=148577

I'd like to see the U.S. spec "Stone Gray" in person, from the pictures I'm not sure what to think.

Anyone know when the bikes will actually be in dealer showrooms?

Not sure why Yamaha can't go with more than one color choice per year in the States?! They should send them over in a basecoat for less $$ and the buyer can go have it painted the color of choice.

I think the AS will sell well in any area due to the fact that they have added more than just electronic shifting. Its too bad the new electronic front/rear suspension is not an option for the A

Here is a snipit from Yamaha's brochure:

Upside down front forks

The latest FJR1300AS is equipped with newly designed upside-down frontforks which form an integral part of the new electronically adjustablesuspension package. Together with the rear shock, the advanced new forks canbe electronically adjusted to suit different load and riding conditions, allowingthe rider to fine tune the system in seconds.

2013-Yamaha-FJR1300AS-EU-Midnight-Black-Studio-001.jpg

FJR%20front%20suspension.JPG

Some of you "guys" (using that term lightly) are pretty darn queer, being more concerned about the color than the new features.

I like the stone gray from a pragmatic standpoint. I've had it on cars in the past and it is a highly functional color (doesn't show dirt, so less need to wash and polish).

I can see this bike selling pretty well if the Fly by wire works as advertised.

The extra tech on the AE/AS might be used as a carrot to help sell off a warehouse full of AE engines. You could expect the new tech on the A models once the excess inventory is sold. It seems plausible.

Just trying to come up with a reason to hold off... I love my 2008 but the new 2013 features are excellent and tempting. Not liking the color and the A not having the new suspension are the only things that I can come up with to justify holding off until next year. :unsure:

The fooking thing has enough torque it only needs 3 speeds. one to start with, one for town and one for the road. I don't understand all the crying about 6 speeds. First and high are going to be the same no matter how many you stack in between.
This.

Exactly this.

Just a thought, reading through all this.....

Isn't it a bit surprising to anyone that SkooterG hasn't chimed in yet on the new Gen III?

Oh, BTW, yes...it IS a Gen III. The Gen II is dead (finally)...Long Live The Gen III! :lol:
RadioHowie: My illegitimate bastard Son SkooterG had a rough time last weekend in Gerlach, Nevada; the IBA/IBR Movers and Shakers determined it was GreggieM's turn in the barrel!

They rode him hard and put him away wet, I'll have to use ten bucks worth of quarters at the coin car wash to get him cleaned up again! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

ScooterG.jpg

I will be hanging onto my 09 because money doesn't grow on trees... but even if I did have the cash, I would want an A model but the fact that it doesn't have the electronic suspension is kind of a turn off (why have it only on the AE/AS ?). Kinda glad to see the 1300cc remain (means that Yamaha have trust in their design). I have to admit, initially I was disappointed to see a 5 speed, but really, it works fine and ultimately it gets the job done. So, will sales hurt because folks will turn away from the 5 speed ? I figure if the rest of the bike sells itself, the tranny won't make a big difference.

I wish money did grow on trees... I am loving the overall look of this 2013.

I love what they've done with the 2013 but I really wish they offered some color. I know it may be because I'm a girl and I like pretty colors, but I think that the color options are not bright enough for my taste. I feel they match the color of pavement too closely and I don't want to blend in with the pavement.

Also, I don't understand why they wouldn't upgrade the suspension as others have said with the AE model.

I'm just trying to stop myself from buying one too. I really kinda want a new one regardless of all said above. Hmmmmmm.....ponder.....

Getting rid of those bulky spark plug wires atop the engine is a nice improvement. Don't know if four of the small coils atop the plugs are lighter than the two big coils and large wires?

Maybe the spark plugs will last a bit longer now since they'll only be firing half as often as before -- no wasted sparks.

Also the throttle grip will likely be easier to turn with its weaker rheostat spring. Although there appears to be a mechanical linkage for forcing the throttle closed if the servo goes wild.

....the electronic suspension is kind of a turn off (why have it only on the AE/AS ?)....
I think it's because the AE is a feature that will grow on everyone with time. They are forcing the Purest.... Who say: No! No! That's Stinky Poopy!! :stink:

Customers that want the Electronic Suspension will be forced to go for it and realize what they've been missing! I didn't want the AE version but, I wanted the Cerulean Blue Silver color. The AE just turned out to be the Most Excellent Feature EVER!!! They All will come Around. It'll change your Life! :superman:

I think the AS will sell well in any area due to the fact that they have added more than just electronic shifting. Its too bad the new electronic front/rear suspension is not an option for the A
Not sure why Yamaha does this but I bet in a year or two you'll see it on the A model. IIRC, didn't the heated grips only come standard on the AE model for 06-07 or some such? I mean, what made the AE so special that the A guys didn't need heated grips?

As I just picked up my 07 last March and am enjoying racking up the miles on it, I've got a little while before I'll be in the market for a replacement anyway. I've got to add one or two bikes to the stable anyway before I think about replacing this bike. :D

I guess I'm not following something. Everybody demanded modernization, hi-tech stuff. Now they're whining because the taillights aren't LED. (Just an example, not picking on anybody in particular.)..........
It's a powersport rule of thumb I'm going by.. and I've got over 50 toyz purchased since the early 80's (don't really wanna think about it tho :( ...no wonder I'm freeqn broke! ikes!

If the Mfgr. takes time to update and modernize aesthetics chances are under the hood will follow suite. New technology on top = new technology underneath (hopefully). It's a guideline and since not a lot of techie stuff was "put out there" on this machine so that's where I started nit-picking... And all the new bikes are going LED, so why not this one I'm thinkn?. Not sure how this could possibly be argued but hey, this is a forum :D I do really like the advancements I've seen, maybe (like some) I'm just a bit disappointing it wasn't more.

I will give them credit on the new dash (aesthetics) but not sure I'm a fan yet, the cruise was a must in my eyes so no props for that one but trac control was a nice addition. The front suspension for me would be one of the most desired, but so far I hear it's only on the AS models in Europe? Now that's more crazy than the old lighting technology on a brand new bike! :p

-Speed out!

I like all the updates, and i like the fact that they didn't make everything new.

It looks like it has the same rear end and seat, same bars and mirrors, same bags which is fine by me. I can see lots of folks hanging on to their favorite gen II seats, top cases and mounts, bar risers, throttlemeister, etc.

FJR1300A includes a two-position adjustable rider seat, low for shorter riders or nearly 1-inch higher for a more spacious feel for taller riders, plus handlebars that can be adjusted to one of three different positions. The result is a superb, custom-fit ride.

Also, no need for a throttlemeister.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelfeatures/180/0/features.aspx

FJR1300A includes a two-position adjustable rider seat, low for shorter riders or nearly 1-inch higher for a more spacious feel for taller riders, plus handlebars that can be adjusted to one of three different positions. The result is a superb, custom-fit ride.
That's not new.

Latest posts