2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's also fun to flip between the early and final sketch to see differences. It's interesting they toyed with going to a single exhaust. The mirror positions moved slightly between the sketches and I see the final sketch is a bit off in that the front marker lights ended up making it from the earlier sketch.
Here's a bonus for all you that would get tired of flipping between images. An animated .gif that flips automatically between the two!

2013fjr.gif

The write up indicates to me that Yamaha will continue to favor the sport aspect of sport touring which is fine by me!
By me as well Gary.

THANKS for sharing that find. :clapping:

It's nice to know some of the thinking behind the product...even if much of it may just be marketing.

2013fjr.gif

I note that Yamaha failed to adopt the front turn signals seen in the "final sketch" version.

I admit that, in real world conditions, the GenIII front turn signals are quite lame in broad daylight, compared to previous models. :(

Seriously, you can barely tell they are lit when viewing the bike 90-degrees from the side.

They are quasi-decent at night, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
The final sketch on the turnsignals were still Gen2-ish. they went with a more modern LED look, but if as you say they are not bright enough this could be on the early list of enhancements or farkles new owners look into.

I admit that, in real world conditions, the GenIII front turn signals are quite lame in broad daylight, compared to previous models. :(
I would be more concerned as to how they project to oncoming traffic...how do they fare straight on from the front?
They are decent enough in the front during broad daylight, still not on par with previous Gens, however.

At night, they are more than sufficient from the front.

I would be more concerned as to how they project to oncoming traffic...how do they fare straight on from the front?
They are decent enough in the front during broad daylight, still not on par with previous Gens, however.

But they are more aerodynamic! Good for .2mph on the top speed! Which your POS Gen III will need to keep up with the awesome Gen Is! :lol:

.... still not on par with previous Gens, however.

See, this is how I've always felt about LED indicators. But everybody wants magic LEDs instead of bulbs.

LEDs are directionally radiant. They shine "that way" and not "that other way" with a sharp off-axis drop in visibility. Nor do they behave well with reflectors and lenses. Since they don't shine backwards, a reflector to collect otherwise "wasted" light that a bulb would put out would serve no purpose.

Which is why the rear is still plain ol' light bulbs. I'd like the guy in the adjacent lane to see my brake lights and turn signals, as well as the guy behind me.

So with the sketches showing a red FJR, how many years before Yamaha actually makes it an available color, in the U.S.?

Here's a clue:

Zager and Evans
Thanks a Million RadioHowie, you fecking Arsehole! My arthritis in my left elbow is killing me today and I was thinking it really sucks being old, then you have to go and mention Zager and Evans.

I then went to my garage, I have 2525 on 8-track; in Mono!

20080825_zager-evans-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a clue:

Zager and Evans
Thanks a Million RadioHowie, you fecking Arsehole! My arthritis in my left elbow is killing me today and I was thinking it really sucks being old, then you have to go and mention Zager and Evans.

Damn Don, You ARE old! :lol:

Here's a clue:

Zager and Evans

Damn Don, You ARE old! :lol:
Stop reminding me Vic, everytime I go out to eat or to a M/C event with SkooterG he makes me use my damned Senior Discounts for his meals or admissions!

Stop reminding me Vic, everytime I go out to eat or to a M/C event with SkooterG he makes me use my damned Senior Discounts for his meals or admissions!
I'm avoiding all the AARP stuff in the mail like poison. Not ready for that yet! :lol:
Big mistake.

They'll never let you into a Florida buffet line without your AARP card.

The final sketch on the turnsignals were still Gen2-ish. they went with a more modern LED look, but if as you say they are not bright enough this could be on the early list of enhancements or farkles new owners look into.
I'm gonna look into mounting hyperlite turns on the front. I have a set mounted on the rear of my current bike. Super easy to install and they are really bright.

Here's something "new" that I found in the Technical Specifications link from the Euro Yamaha link previously shown in post #835:

"Clutch Type: multiple-disc coil spring"

Not sure if this is a mistake or if there actually are coil springs in the clutch now. As anyone who has done any clutch maintenance on an FJR already knows, there were no coil springs in the prior FJRs.

Fred, I've never seen a clutch without coil springs. They're used in the driven gear to dampen the torque when the clutch is first engaged, assuming these are the springs Yamaha is referring to.

Latest posts