2014, 2015, or 2016?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakyFastFreddie

Reaction score
Harley = SOLD SOLD SOLD!

Now I'm looking for an FJR. I've seen a few leftover 14's at unbelievable prices. I've also come upon some 15's that are discounted. I got to admit I'm just now getting back on this site so I'm not up to speed yet. Any reason not to buy a 14? I do happen to like the Red, but honestly, I've not seen a color that doesn't look good on an FJR.

Another thought is that the 16 will be announced in a couple of months correct? Should I wait? Any hints out there on the 16 color? Love my 06 Cobalt Blue. That's probably why I like the bright red. Don't know if it matters, but I'm doing a cash deal so feel like I can bargain and shop. I'm not opposed to slightly used, but do prefer the newest gen.

Thoughts?

2016 will be in Galaxy Blue.

biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If we start a discussion of the color for 2016 this thread will end up in NEPRT, and rightfully so.

I do not expect any substantial differences between the '14,'15, or '16 other than color. Pick the color that you like and be happy. You cannot go wrong with any of them. If the '16 comes out and you don't like it you can probably find an older version somewhere and do a Fly and Ride. As long as you take pics and do a Ride Report, we are all good.

Silver. FJRs were born Silver and were always meant to be Silver.

But the main thing is...how much of a hurry are you in? Do you want ES? Do you like the 2005 Gay Purply Blue?

No matter, you've got 145 ponies slightly below and ahead of your body and a suspension to match.

The real question...are you up to the task?

If not, HDs and Scooters are thataway....

Yep, don't want this to be a color guessing/argument thread. I'd like an ES but it's not a showstopper. I'm finding the A model's are having the biggest discounts but the ES model is not far behind.

Trust me, I'm up to the task. The Harley was a nice bike for two up riding and just cruising down the road. I liked it, but didn't love it. I loved my 06' FJR that I had for 4 years and regretted selling it from the day it left my house. That said and done, I'm ready to get back into the game. I'm older and slower but at least my forum name is FAST!

My 06 was the first year of that generation and had some issues come up. Just wondering about the 14 in the same way. I'm not reading anything as of yet though. If there's anyone that went from an A bike to the electronic suspension model, I'd be interested in hearing if you think it was worth the extra bucks. I don't see myself adjusting the suspension much living in the flat lands of Illinois.

Thanks again!

13 is the first year for the Gen III, it had a cruise control issue that was fixed in 14.
biggrin.png
After that they've been awesome. I'd have one if I could.

I'm thinking of having a sign made for the back of my "Gay Purply Blue" '05

"This bike is in front of you, and it's paid for"

That should cover it :D

ps ... OP ... You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Call D&H, and tell them you want a '16 (it'll be blue). Then you can tell everyone how great the '16 is, and make everyone jealous.

I'm gonna wait on the gen IV so I can tell everybody how lousy the gen III is.
tonguesmiley.gif

There was a difference .... the cruise control upper limit .... or am I as clueless as my kids tell me?

In 50+ years of riding over ten motorcycles several hundred thousand miles all over the western half of the US, Canada and Japan, my 2014 A model is the most perfect motorcycle I've ever ridden or owned. I have just shy of 18,000 miles with zero issues and many smiles. I leave for a four day ride into the Sierras in a couple of days and cannot wait.

It simply does not get any better than this.

Dan

My 2008 Black Beauty has just around 112,000 kms. I have had "No Issues"! I haven't tightened my steering head, I'm still using my original brake pads? I have had a couple of mishaps, my fault! I do oil and filter at 5000kms and tires, Michelin 2,3 or 4 at around 17,000kms? I upgraded the suspension at around 70,000kms to RaceTech front and rear. A good add-on but expensive. All recalls have been done but none of the reasons for doing so ever occurred? I'm 65 yrs old. I like to ride fast if possible? This bike has met all my requirements since trashing my Super Blackbird. I loved that bike but got silly one day and it nearly cost me big time? I hope to be buried with this puppy if I'm lucky!

So surprised that this one ended up in NEPRT...

I can see how the "issues" with the '06 might make you a bit nervous about the Gen3, I had those same problems with Dad's '07. You can rest assured that ALL of the Gen 3 bikes are better than the early Gen 2s. Every single complaint I ever had about the '07 was addressed with the Gen3.

I love Dad's '07 FJR but I would rather push my '15 than ride the '07. There is that much difference.

Regarding suspension, I think the "A" model rides softer and smoother but the "ES" is a bit more sporty. I rode hppants' brand new '14 A while he rode my '15 ES and his bike definitely had a smoother ride. I feel like the ES has a bit more ground clearance as well. I will also add that we put a Gen 3 rear shock on Dad's Gen 2 and it made a huge difference. A smoother, more controlled ride.

As you have already been told, "You cannot go wrong with a Gen 3 FJR".

There was a difference .... the cruise control upper limit .... or am I as clueless as my kids tell me?
Covered.

13 is the first year for the Gen III, it had a cruise control issue that was fixed in 14.
biggrin.png
After that they've been awesome. I'd have one if I could.
I can see how the "issues" with the '06 might make you a bit nervous about the Gen3, I had those same problems with Dad's '07. You can rest assured that ALL of the Gen 3 bikes are better than the early Gen 2s. Every single complaint I ever had about the '07 was addressed with the Gen3.
Technically a lot of those issues were fixed in the years after 2007 you know. However, even further refined in 2013 of course.

If I had the money to put down now, it'd be on a 2014. I like the red, and you can pick them up new or barely used for less than the 2015 because it isn't the "Latest and greatest." Then take that money you saved and put it into farkles, tires and gas.

2013's were the first of the 3rd Gens. Only differences were the lower (80 mph) max speed of the cruise control (fixable by replacing with a 2014/15A ECU) and that there was no ES model that year. If you were going to buy an A model anyway, and like the unique color of the 2013, that would make the most economic sense. You could either live with the cruise limit or round up an ECU and have the same limit as the later model years

2014's and 2015's are identical except for the color. If color is no object you will likely find either one for about the same price

Nobody knows if the 2016 will or won't have any improvements. Don't listen to anyone who says that they know Nobody knows what color they will be either (if that matters at all, to you). That info doesn't come out until the fall.

Should you wait? Sure, the prior model year bike prices always go down when the "new" ones are released. So if you are intent on buying a 2014 or 2015, waiting for the 2016's to be announced will net you a slightly lower price. And if you wait for the 2017's to be announced it will be even better. When the 2018's are announced they will be practically giving away the old 2013's and 2014's.

I'd just wait until 2020, then you can spend the money on a Jazzy Select Elite, because you'll be too old for an FJR by then. But, think of all the money you'll have saved by not going places on your FJR all those years.
wink.png