2014 BMW R1200RT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpdrv

Reaction score
Looks like they are revamping this guy as well....

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_1307_2014_bmw_r1200rt_spied/

It was a foregone conclusion that BMW’s all-new, “precision liquid-cooled” boxer engine that debuted in this year’s R1200GS would soon spread like a puddle of spilled ethylene glycol to cover the rest of BMW’s flat-twin lineup. Recent spy shots captured in the south of France reveal that BMW’s R1200RT touring bike will be the next model to receive the water-boxer upgrade. A trio of heavily disguised test mules undergoing final validation testing reveals that the next RT incorporates the same mechanical upgrades as the GS model, plus styling and comfort features that appear inspired by the K1600GT—including an even larger fairing and the optional “adaptive” Xenon headlight array that “sees into corners.”

The boxer engine in the new RT will likely be nearly identical to the 1170cc version in the GS, using air cooling bolstered with limited liquid cooling (said to provide 35 percent of total cooling capacity) to target known hot spots. Improved engine temperature management allowed engineers to rotate the cylinder heads on this new motor forward 90 degrees, relocating the intakes above the cylinder heads rather than behind, to increase leg room. Performance should be analogous to the GS, which produces a claimed 125 horsepower and 91 lb.-ft. torque, with some slight variation likely due to the different exhaust arrangement.

Viewed from the front, the resemblance to the K1600s is clear. Expect wind and weather pro
The new RT will benefit from the same drivetrain updates as the latest GS, too, including the new, integrated six-speed gearbox and a wet, multi-plate slipper clutch replacing the old Oilhead’s automotive-style, single-plate dry clutch. Also visible is the new EVO Paralever rear suspension with its beefed-up shaft final drive relocated from the right to the left side of the bike.

Even disguised in zebra-print decals to obscure fine details, we can see a clear familial resemblance to the K1600 in that massive front fairing, starting with the triple headlight array. Large air ducts beneath those headlights presumably guide cool air over small, side-mounted radiators required by the new cooling system, just like the GS. Not visible in the images, but almost certainly incorporated into this redesign, should be BMW’s latest E-gas ride-by-wire throttle control, enabling switchable ride modes and electronic cruise control. Also expect BMW’s Automatic Stability Control (ASC, or traction control), as well as its new Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) that lets riders easily reconfigure the ride characteristics for different conditions and loads, as well as actively and automatically adjusts damping on the fly. Antilock brakes will be standard, monitoring what look now to be radial-mounted brake calipers.

Bottom-exit exhausts and upward-facing air intakes give away the new, liquid-cooled boxer. Left-side swingarm and right-side exhaust suggest the updated driveline, too.
Excepting a minor revision for the 2010 model year that saw a slight increase in torque output and only subtle styling and cockpit revisions, the RT has been changed little since its introduction in 2005—making this next update long overdue. Just like BMW did with its revamped GS, this new RT looks up to date but undeniably familiar—just what the German maker needs to do in order to attract new buyers without alienating the RT-faithful. The new RT will offer sport-touring buyers Boxer character without sacrificing power or comfort.

Curious if they have decided with moving the swing arm to the other side whether or not they will upgrade the reliability of what everyone considers a complete and udder failure of the driveshaft that BMW states is NOT a problem, and they will not stand behind...

I'm truly surprised that there wasn't a class action lawsuit on that - unless I missed it..

That BMW final drive failure is old news, blown out of proportion and solved years ago. It affected something like 1% or less of the bikes.

The new GS is totally bad ass. I have gone to see one, and despite being handed the keys, declined a test ride. My buddies that have ridden them warn that if I test ride one, I'll end up leaving my FJR at the dealer. Maybe I'll go Saturday just for the Hell of it.

BMW has stepped up the game, which is nice to see.

Cool to know, didn't know that they had really fixed the issue....

Never really been sold on the hype of BMW, and with owning a auto service repair facility in the heart of a high end neighborhood with all different makes and models of $100k cars - its hard to look past the high maintenance of what BMW delivers... I like they way the cars drive but I'd have a really hard time buying one for myself. It seems they cater to the elite and the treatment that goes along with the price tag doesn't always match....

Looks like they are offering up a pretty nice updated package.... I'd be interested in trying one out - or the revisions of the 1600.... hard for me to walk past what the new FJR brings to the plate, but I'm getting close to an update on my almost 10yr old machine... But RED certainly doesn't work for me, so I got another year to sift through the offerings....

Last edited by a moderator:
The new GS is totally bad ass. I have gone to see one, and despite being handed the keys, declined a test ride. My buddies that have ridden them warn that if I test ride one, I'll end up leaving my FJR at the dealer. Maybe I'll go Saturday just for the Hell of it.BMW has stepped up the game, which is nice to see.
I agree with this statement. I took a test ride and now have a deposit on a 2014 GS Adventure.

Curious if they have decided with moving the swing arm to the other side whether or not they will upgrade the reliability of what everyone considers a complete and udder failure of the driveshaft that BMW states is NOT a problem, and they will not stand behind...
Didn't know an udder was available on the RT.....and that they were failing. Milk leak? That would be utterly ridiculous!

(Just a little fun with words, I guess)

That BMW final drive failure is old news, blown out of proportion and solved years ago. It affected something like 1% or less of the bikes.
The new GS is totally bad ass. I have gone to see one, and despite being handed the keys, declined a test ride. My buddies that have ridden them warn that if I test ride one, I'll end up leaving my FJR at the dealer. Maybe I'll go Saturday just for the Hell of it.

Your buddy gave you a good tip..

Do NOT hop on one for a test drive. I did and it cost me money, my FJR still came home with me however.

Do NOT hop on one for a test drive. I did and it cost me money, my FJR still came home with me however.
I know a secret, a super top secret! I can't reveal it to anyone, not even Bust's Boyfriend HotRodZilla. (Oh well, KJ Top_Speed 1 has a brand new BMW K1600 Sport!) Note: Kevin is also on https://www.k1600forum.com

k1600gt-2011-1g.jpg

I know a secret, a super top secret! I can't reveal it to anyone, not even Bust's Boyfriend HotRodZilla. (Oh well, KJ Top_Speed 1 has a brand new BMW K1600 Sport!) Note: Kevin is also on https://www.k1600forum.com

k1600gt-2011-1g.jpg
Hey Don,

How is your K1600 holding up? Are you still happy with it? They are definitely a beautiful machine.

k1600gt-2011-1g.jpg
Hey Don,

How is your K1600 holding up? Are you still happy with it? They are definitely a beautiful machine.
I love my K1600 scubatech, over 20K now and all is well. Did have a new water pump installed before I left for CFR 2012, they have a new part # for that. Very happy with my K16 and I'll probably pass on with 'Gisele' still in my garage, but I am also enjoying my 2013 FJR 'Naomie' equally as well! Two great sport touring motos! My passengers, Son Seth and Girlfriend Donna, much prefer the comfort of the K16! Columbus Day 2013 Ride with Seth:

DSCF0379.jpg

k1600gt-2011-1g.jpg
Mr. Don-JUAN Stan-LEE... I use to like you ?
angel.gif

WTF, now I'm going to have to stuff a gas soaked rag into your mouth and light it! Secrets with you are now proven more easily kept with that Busta character than w you!

PS. I did test drive the '13 Feej extensively/beforehand, not enough to sway me BUT if the new '14 ES had the AE option? that could of been another story. Keeping my FJR by the bye.

Thanks again Big Mouth, hope nobody reads this crap! :)
fool.gif
sleep.png

And ya might as well get the right model while your screwing my secret weapon surprise all up...

IMG_0784.JPG

And ya might as well get the right model while your screwing my secret weapon surprise all up...
IMG_0784.JPG
That's bad ass and I'm jealous. Honestly, if I had my options of Beemers to take home, top of the list would be an 800GS, followed by a K1300S.

A-N-D KJ, NEVER forget this: Three friends can keep a secret...If two are dead!

Thanks again Big Mouth, hope nobody reads this crap!
smile.png
fool.gif
sleep.png
...too late!

IMG_0784.JPG
Congrats on the new Beemer KJ...if only money grew on trees and I could get over the maintenance costs!

--G
Actually Gorgeous George, so far the maintenance costs on my FJR and my K16 are right about the same. Since both bikes are still under factory warranties, the selling dealerships are doing the required services. Yamaha calls for a service every 4K miles, Chandler Motorsports does that for $250; BMW calls for a service every 6K miles, Victory BMW does that for $300. The K1600 does require its valves checked at 18K miles and this costs $600 with no valves needing to be adjusted, it would have been more if valves required adjusting. The FJR does not need its valves checked until 26,500 miles, I'll let you know what that costs (unless I do it myself since it will be out of warranty on 12/7/13). You are right on regarding the purchase price: $28,500 OTD for the K16 and $14.9 OTD for FJR. "if only money grew on trees" go to your old Grandpa Niehart for El Dinero ese, Dave B. is loaded!

So I don't get shunned by my Jap-bike (and there simply is no other bike!) crowd, I will proudly ride my FJR to their Rally's. I also don't plan on doing anymore BMW Rally's, did one last year and it was fecking 'dry' ...well at least compared to my buds here!

Ride wat ya got has always been my motto.

-KJ

PS

Sorry for Don hijacking this thread to what I thought was 'our lil secret'... lesson learned!
wink.png

FORUM RULE 69

SO BACK TO THE OP DISCUSSION

BMW R1200RT

PSSorry for Don hijacking this thread to what I thought was 'our lil secret'... lesson learned!
wink.png

FORUM RULE 69

SO BACK TO THE OP DISCUSSION

BMW R1200RT
Ok.....but I think the discussion of BMW maintenance costs is a lot more interesting......

I have read (from several that have taken test rides) that the wethead is very buzzy at higher rpms. Anyone here than can confirm how smooth (or not smooth) the new engine actually is?

Latest posts