2014 FJR1300 Cruise Control. ......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just one more comment relative to 6sp trans. I'm not suggesting Yamaha add another gear for the sake of shifting one more time. I see many advantages to adding a 6th gear overdrive. The bike has adequate power to reduce the RPM's at cruising speeds which will yield better gas mileage. For those who cannot understand my point, if I am cruising at 80MPH in 5th gear now I am at roughly 4000RPM. I want to be doing that same speed at 3500RPM. Unless I have a very short passing window, I never down shift at highway speed when over taking vehicles. I would not mind dropping down a gear in trade for better mileage. Hopefully enough said about a simple wish.

Just one more comment relative to 6sp trans. I'm not suggesting Yamaha add another gear for the sake of shifting one more time. I see many advantages to adding a 6th gear overdrive. The bike has adequate power to reduce the RPM's at cruising speeds which will yield better gas mileage. For those who cannot understand my point, if I am cruising at 80MPH in 5th gear now I am at roughly 4000RPM. I want to be doing that same speed at 3500RPM. Unless I have a very short passing window, I never down shift at highway speed when over taking vehicles. I would not mind dropping down a gear in trade for better mileage. Hopefully enough said about a simple wish.
Unfortunately for you, manufacturers are almost forced into a highish-revving top gear by journalist testers who measure "top gear roll-on".

Just one more comment relative to 6sp trans. I'm not suggesting Yamaha add another gear for the sake of shifting one more time. I see many advantages to adding a 6th gear overdrive. The bike has adequate power to reduce the RPM's at cruising speeds which will yield better gas mileage. For those who cannot understand my point, if I am cruising at 80MPH in 5th gear now I am at roughly 4000RPM. I want to be doing that same speed at 3500RPM.
If you think that turning 3500 RPMs at 80 MPH will give better gas mileage...why not gear it higher so you are only turning 2500 RPMs at 80MPH? The C14 does turn 3500 RPMs at an actual 80 MPH but it does not get better mileage in overdrive than it gets in 5th gear unless you are running downhill or have a tail wind. The engine has plenty of power to pull the ultra high geared overdrive and it feels slightly smoother in overdrive but 5th gear gives better overall gas mileage and it is geared slightly lower than the FJR's 5th gear.

IIRC 5th is already and overdrive. Right?
i don't think there is a definition for overdrive in a motorcycle. The term originated from cars when the drive shaft coming out of the transmission was turning less rpms than the motor's crankshaft and was/is pretty meaningless because it did not represent the overall gear reduction. For anyone interested in overall 5th gear reduction ratios, its 4.03:1 in a GEN1 and 3.92:1 in a GEN2. The C14 in comparison is 4.09:1 in 5th gear and 3:40:1 in 6th....which is too tall and would be a lot more useful and probably give better fuel economy if it was about 3.70:1. I think the 5 speed FJR has better gear ratios to choose from than the 6 speed C14 (which I mostly use as a 5 speed).

Last edited by a moderator:
Having just come back from a blast all the way across Nevada (N-S), then back up I-15 from Las Vegas to Idaho... a few thoughts.

My audiovox CC will set at any speed. Just to see what it was like, I set it at 110 mph for a while. It kind of reminded me of trying to see how far you dare to ride with your eyes closed. That right hand wants to instinctively grab the bar to (1) hang on tight and (2) control the throttle. Granted, the bike is drama free, but you're time to distance if anything happens starts to get a little scary.

Now, coming back on I-15-- most of Utah is now 80mph. Traffic is 85-95 for looonnnnggg stretches. A CC that would engage up to 95 or so may be nice in some circumstances. It's still not a great speed to be totally relaxed though. That was about the only place I've ridden where I could see being pissed about an 80 or so limit on the cc....

And....this motor don't need no 6th gear....the motor/combo tranny is perfect in this bike.

I am on the 5 gears OK group also. I also have a ZX-14 and a CBR 1000 and those bikes have not had 6th gear engaged in a couple of years.

According to the 2014 Owners Manual, Top set speed for Cruise is 100mph

Clipboard01_zps18580d1b.jpg

The 100MPH limit on the CC is great news. Both because it's better and because it shows that Yamaha is listening.

Yamaha HAS to have a way to flash the '13 bike ECU's to do this. I'll happily pay a few hundred dollars to get that fix.
Why do you say that? They haven't ever flashed the ECU's of any previous model before that I've ever heard of. In fact, they REPLACED computers on the '06/07 Altitude issue. You would think if they had the ability to flash computers--they would have done it then.

I suppose its technically possible the Gen 3 computers are different, however I'll bet against it. I vaguely remember a discussion years past that the computers are not flashable as well.

And what would the petition say? "I knew when I bought my '13 that the cruise limit was 80 mph, but now that you are selling a '14 with a higher limit I want you to replace my computer for free....or I'll hold my breath!" ;)

Maybe you should go price a '12 and '13 computer from an online source. If cost-effective--I would think a '14 computer would run the same price and possibly replace the '13 computer. As a Gen 3 owner you might want to do this legwork....I think the forum would be thankful.

Yamaha HAS to have a way to flash the '13 bike ECU's to do this. I'll happily pay a few hundred dollars to get that fix.
Why do you say that? They haven't ever flashed the ECU's of any previous model before that I've ever heard of. In fact, they REPLACED computers on the '06/07 Altitude issue. You would think if they had the ability to flash computers--they would have done it then.

I suppose its technically possible the Gen 3 computers are different, however I'll bet against it. I vaguely remember a discussion years past that the computers are not flashable as well.

And what would the petition say? "I knew when I bought my '13 that the cruise limit was 80 mph, but now that you are selling a '14 with a higher limit I want you to replace my computer for free....or I'll hold my breath!"
wink.png

Maybe you should go price a '12 and '13 computer from an online source. If cost-effective--I would think a '14 computer would run the same price and possibly replace the '13 computer. As a Gen 3 owner you might want to do this legwork....I think the forum would be thankful.
I'm thinking that explaining to Yamaha that this "one year deficiency" has done considerable damage to the resale value of 2013 models (at least west of the Rockies) might fall upon a sympathetic ear.

And what would the petition say? "I knew when I bought my '13 that the cruise limit was 80 mph, but now that you are selling a '14 with a higher limit I want you to replace my computer for free....or I'll hold my breath!"
wink.png

I'm thinking that explaining to Yamaha that this "one year deficiency" has done considerable damage to the resale value of 2013 models (at least west of the Rockies) might fall upon a sympathetic ear.
I'm thinking you're gonna turn blue when you hold your breath. Yamaha is like any other corporation. They are making money and not trying to be a charity. They only did costly recalls after being forced. You (we) could try, but I donno that they would care. Hell, what if I tell them the resale value of my '07 is now lower because the 14's have cruise control and electronic suspension, so I want my '07 updated to have it also? I think I would get told to suck it. I think asking for a '13 CC update would net the same result.

NOW...if they could, I bet they might be willing to do it for a price. But it still stands...Can they update them, or does it require a swap?

We need a petition.
Sorry...yer stuck holding the bars at 100mph. <ha-ha>

All the cool kids get to sit on the passenger seat at 100mph sipping a beer and reading playboy, letting the cruise do all the work while yer getting passed in the slow lane doing 80! :D