2014 FJR1300 Cruise Control. ......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got an email from an FJR riding buddy and he reminded me of grounding issues that the FJR had. When I had my 06 I chased down all those multiple ground devices on my bike and made sure they were reliable grounds (the guy who thought those up had to be a complete electrical moron). Apparently in subsequent years there were recalls concerning them????? Don't know, but it sure sounds like a possibility for my issues.

Oh, yes. My battery connections were and are just fine. I did find the CC fuse was not fully seated.

The Ground Spider Issue has been resolved. The chance that a Gen 3 with 2K miles would have that issue is very, very slim.
I did a search on this and like all searches one can miss something. The part that I seem to be missing is "how was it resolved" and was it truly resolved. My experience with major bike manufacturers over almost 50 years of bike buying, riding and fixing has led me to be less than trusting. I believe that your logic is correct that it "should" be resolved on a Gen III; however, it was present on 06,07,08 and 09 enough for it to be a viable recall in each of those years. Despite the recall, Yamaha continued to make and sell the bike in each of those years without an assembly line fix. Maybe they did something on 10,11,and 12, I don't know or maybe the dealers knew enough about the issue to do a fix without it being reported to continue the recall. All I know for sure is the sudden death of lighting is right out of the spider ground's play book. To write off the spider ground or some similar grounding issue is IMO just a little premature. Thanks for providing your information.

The Ground Spider Issue has been resolved. The chance that a Gen 3 with 2K miles would have that issue is very, very slim.
I'm not sure the issue was "resolved". Yamaha certainly still use the same type of connection in the loom, I showed ten that I'd found here.

Many are not grounds, but would still be subject to the same corrosion as the Gen II spiders if they are made the same. One at least appears to be carrying most of the ignition current (20A fused ignition circuit), so still likely to overheat if corrosion did set in.

But, I agree most unlikely to show any symptoms within a year or so, and OldButNotDead's symptoms sound more like an intermittent than a high resistance somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
After today's ride, I'm 99.999% sure the problem with the CC was CC fuse not seated properly. Not one event all day with CC that was not totally as advertised. Unless I get another "lights out" I'm just going to look at is bad karma moment.

Just as a leftover from the days when I could screw in a light bulb, my electrical intuition says that spider grounds are OK as long as you are working with "power" issues and your QC is such that you are absolutely sure you are making good connections. Lights, heated this or that, etc should work with the spider grounds just fine. When you start adding electronics into the picture, the term ground loop starts creeping in.