2015 Big Money Rally - Jan 1 thru May 23

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is so tempting!
smile.png
And

I've been grounded till this is over.
sad.png
Well, maybe you can tag along with a BMR friend upon occasion and get a little taste of it... there'll always be next year! B)

Dang!That took a lot of work to put together. Is there an entry fee?

It looks like fun!

(head spinning trying to put together various point gathering day rides...)
Yes... registration fee is $69.69. :lol: It is a ton of fun... even though it's nationwide, you can easily hunt bonii in your own backyard. I did the majority of my hunting right here in NorCal and was able to finish with no problem. So I had a couple of firsts with last year's BMR... I finished my first rally aaannnnnddddd....

I visited my first whorehouse... actually six of them in one day! :D

[img=[URL="https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10330433_10152415133870325_599979127125096374_n.jpg?oh=093a911dbfa7d695e8e92ffaee36085f&oe=550635AB%5D"]https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10330433_10152415133870325_599979127125096374_n.jpg?oh=093a911dbfa7d695e8e92ffaee36085f&oe=550635AB][/URL]
OK if I just follow you Tyler? Can't ride, or walk for that matter...but still able to enjoy your rally posts.

Downloaded the .pdf file. Looks like fun. With the amount of time and energy I've wasted spent these past few years photo tagging on ADVriders tag-o-ramas, this looks like it would be right up my alley. My biggest concern would be the 2 to 3 month head start I'd be spotting everyone until I can get the bike out of my garage.
sad.png

Still, for only $70 I might jump in.

Dang!

That took a lot of work to put together. Is there an entry fee?

It looks like fun!

(head spinning trying to put together various point gathering day rides...)
Yes... registration fee is $69.69.
laugh.png
It is a ton of fun... even though it's nationwide, you can easily hunt bonii in your own backyard. I did the majority of my hunting right here in NorCal and was able to finish with no problem. So I had a couple of firsts with last year's BMR... I finished my first rally aaannnnnddddd....

I visited my first whorehouse... actually six of them in one day!
biggrin.png

[img=[URL="https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10330433_10152415133870325_599979127125096374_n.jpg?oh=093a911dbfa7d695e8e92ffaee36085f&oe=550635AB%5D"]https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10330433_10152415133870325_599979127125096374_n.jpg?oh=093a911dbfa7d695e8e92ffaee36085f&oe=550635AB][/URL]
OK if I just follow you Tyler? Can't ride, or walk for that matter...but still able to enjoy your rally posts.
Sure Joe... I'll take you with me in spirit until you're back on your feet. :wub:

Downloaded the .pdf file. Looks like fun. With the amount of time and energy I've wasted spent these past few years photo tagging on ADVriders tag-o-ramas, this looks like it would be right up my alley. My biggest concern would be the 2 to 3 month head start I'd be spotting everyone until I can get the bike out of my garage.
sad.png

Still, for only $70 I might jump in.
Go for it, Fred... lots of other folks in the same boat and they were able to still finish easily... plus imagine how much fun you'll have playing catch up! B)

Ok Tyler, after reading about the BMR and your post I am in. I have never done a rally,but this looks like a lot of fun.
Awesome! I think you'll have a great time... can't remember where in NorCal you are but I'm meeting a couple of folks that I talked into joining in the fun for lunch this Friday in Sunnyvale to chat about the rally, etc... if you're around there, let me know and I'll send ya more details. If not, feel free to ask me any questions either here or via PM or send me an email addy. B)

I have been reading up at the web site and the pdf files linked to there, but still have a question. What are the teams all about? I don't see that explained anywhere. I know I could post this on the blog, but have not registered there yet. Been trying to get a full understanding of the thing before I jump in with both feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been reading up at the web site and the pdf files linked to there, but still have a question. What are the teams all about? I don't see that explained anywhere. I know I could post this on the blog, but have not registered there yet. Been trying to get a full understanding of the thing before I jump in with both feet.
Riders are randomly assigned to teams so you'll be scoring points as an individual and then also toward your team's total points. So you'll be competing both individually and team-wise as well. :)

Teams is something new in the mix this year. You have the point whores that are always going to 'win', so the team is a group effort to level out that part of the game.

Either you like the idea of 'grand tour/scavenger' or you don't there's really nothing to think about.

Question: do you ride a bike every weekend? if you actually look at where you go, is it all pretty much the same locations, even though you are having fun?

When I set up a few states for this shindig, the idea was to get all over the state.... What I find to be a hoot is when the other folks set up another theme (Tyler) and they stick them in my backyard :) I can score a bunch cuz I live in a dinky town in a recreation area with great roads :)

Thanks for the explanations. I did not see anything explaining that and didn't know if I needed to solicit membership in a team. Being assigned one is perfect.

Guess I'll go ahead in and sign up today. I've already got all of the Fricken Places - Pt. I and Word Matches for the northeastern states converted to GPX and POI files. Now it's just a matter of connecting the dots.

By the way, how many do you need to get to qualify as a "points whore"?
unsure.png

By the way, how many do you need to get to qualify as a "points whore"?
unsure.png
While there's no "official" scale I'm aware of....the organizer, RenoJohn, did ask a number of riders from the first year to stand up at the banquet that had 300 or more points. I was one and thought it was because of the excellent model in which we demonstrated familiarity with so many of the bonuses offered.

He said...and I'm paraphrasing, "You ONLY needed 144 points to finish. You couldn't follow the simple directions? You're all point whores! Sit down!"

Giggling ensued and precedent set....its a title worn with sheepish pride and I think you can look at scoring for this year and see some folks that may qualify.

BMR has gotten me riding earlier in the season and love it!

I seem to recall the 'LEO encounter' bonus also got recognition at that banquet..... just sayin ;) I seemed to have been at the hooligan table, but I'm *much* better now ;)

OK, I'm registered.

And I just found that the BMR website already has excel files of the bonus locations, so all the conversions that I did so far from pdf files were not needed. Doh!
weirdsmiley.gif

In.

Rookie on oh so many levels .... but ready to ride.

Will be placing special emphasis on the MV category. I'm in the wrong corner of the continent for ferry riding, however. And thanks to "BMR participant (and point whore) Bruce Vanderzyde" for the video and a glimpse of his nice 2014 FJR.

RED TEAM RULES!