2015 Windshield Auto Retract

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sahara81

Reaction score
So, new 2015 A model....of course Gen III's have the windshield auto retract disabled. Is there a way to re-enable it?

I had a 2006 and liked the auto retract....I'm wondering if there is a hidden menu somewhere that allows me to activate it.

Has anyone attempted this before on Gen III's?

Thanks!

No way. There aren't even the limit switches, the motor is stalled at the end of travel.

Engine not running, voltage measured after ammeter so includes voltage drop within the ammeter, and is the voltage available for the load.

(Click on image for larger view)

Ignition only, 11.8V, 3.9A

Windscreen moving, 11.9V, 6.33A

Windscreen at end-stop, 9.9V, 15.6A

So the windscreen motor current goes up from about 3.5A to something like 12A at the end-stop.

I fear Yamaha have taken a retrograde step here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also like the auto retract feature,but unfortunately this @$%^&$#@ thing stop working in my Gen1...
sadsmiley.gif

I like the NOT auto retract as well. When washing my 08, I always had to leave the key on to keep the windshield up.

Since the Gen I and II's had the auto retract enabled, but someone---maybe on this forum?---wisely figured out how to disable it.

My thinking was that the reverse was true with the Gen III's---I can't prove it's there, but I've got to think it exists in a hidden menu somewhere. I have a VW GTI and if you have something called a Vagcom, you can plug into the cars electronics and access items to turn them off or on. Maybe something exists like that for a Gen III?

Or maybe its just accessed through a series of button pushes on the console.... has anyone tried anything like that?

...hey Rain.....sure that seems like a GREAT idea----NOT!!!! Love the Gen II's, I had a 2006, but respectfully, I'll stick with 2015 Gen III for now---of course, I'll let you know if I change my mind!!!!

Mcatrophy----that is some good investigative work there....but consider, when the key is turned off, isn't there a small lag before all the power/electronics are turned off? The "goodbye" screen....would that not be enough time to let the motor cycle the windshield to retract---it does go faster than the Gen II's.....

Can't explain it since I disabled the auto retract on my '06 & '09, but I find the lack of it on the '15 kind of irritating at times. Maybe it's the whole menu thing but regardless, not interested in going backward so have to live with it!

Dunno...
dntknw.gif

--G

Those that disabled the auto-retract are dorks. "OMG, I have to push a button with my thumb after I turn my bike off. What am I going to do?" Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Thank God there's not a kick start!

If the auto retract was so popular, I think Yamaha would have continued it on the Genlll. During the time I have been on this Forum I recall more asking how to disable it than those touting its virtues. I hated the auto retract and disabled it in a NY minute on my Genll's. I do not think there is a way of activating something that does not exist on the Genlll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those that disabled the auto-retract are dorks. "OMG, I have to push a button with my thumb after I turn my bike off. What am I going to do?" Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Thank God there's not a kick start!
WTF are you talking about? As usual, you aren't making any goddamned sense!

Fuck the auto-retract. Auto-retract is for pussies!

Do you pussies cry because you have to downshift and then up shift again every time you stop and then take off? I'm surprised any of you made more than one ride. For God's sake, you have to put the key in and TURN it....THEN you have to hit the start button EVERY time. Then you have to put it in fist, then second, third and 4th...That's got to be WAY worse than moving an ELECTRIC windshield every now and then, with ONLY your thumb.

The insignificant shit people will bitch about.

Do you pussies cry because you have to downshift and then up shift again every time you stop and then take off? I'm surprised any of you made more than one ride. For God's sake, you have to put the key in and TURN it....THEN you have to hit the start button EVERY time. Then you have to put it in fist, then second, third and 4th...That's got to be WAY worse than moving an ELECTRIC windshield every now and then, with ONLY your thumb.
The insignificant shit people will bitch about.
Take your meds, 'k? Not all are as tough as you....
flirt.gif

The only thing I hate more than having to do something I don't

like is having to do it...again. And again. And again. And again.

Maybe that's one of the 'significant mechanical changes' planned for the '16? As for never hearing anyone touting the virtues of a feature, why would they? People only comment on good things if it's been changed. That's why advertisers are pushing for after-service reviews via text or e-mail, If they don't ask for a good review, all anyone will find online are mostly bad reviews and a few extremely good reviews. I very rarley put my windscreen up, so an auto-retract really wouldn't effect me at all.

An option in the menus would be great, but as McAtrophy said, it would require end-stop switches or a timer activated by turning the engine off to keep the motors from burning out either way. I don't see that either would be hard to do, but I also don't see Yamaha going out of their way to do it without a massive flood of requests from us.