2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think all of the improvements are positive, I like some more than others. The 6 speed tranny is just to do away with the distraction to a prospective buyer, those of us that know it doesn't matter, already bought one.

I want several color options per year! It's not hard, just mix and match worldwide!

Well, I'm gonna call it a Gen 4 because Gen 3.5 is just too many syllables and I'm a lazy bastid.
punk.gif

Maybe with the new 6th gear it'll do 180...Then again, maybe not. Sort of disappointed. Way to cave to a bunch of dipshits that have no idea what they're talking about and who don't own FJRs. My only hope is that it shifts better than my '07 and multiple shifts aren't required for every change of speed. Anyone want to bet the RPM difference at any highway speed in 6th on a 3.5 is very close to the GenIIs and IIIs?

The lights are cool, the dash is nice, and the color isn't bad. After my ride yesterday, I still don't know that I want to spring for a brand new one based on these upgrades. I may wait until they work the bugs out of the new stuff. Besides, we need a new Expedition, a new truck, and I wanna sell this house, so a new FJR may be a few years, minimum, away.

I wonder if new LED lights can be transferred to `13,`14,`15 models. That's something what I would do it will work - I like them. No need for 6-gear for me and other changes are not important for me.

Looking to pictures on EU web side they are again showing big 50 l trunk. I wanted that one with my `13 version but they did not release it due to rear frame breakage issues (have got that info from local Yamaha dealer). So most probably with new tail plastic fairing design and LED lights Yamaha changed also frame structure to sustain load from bigger trunk - let's see...

A new 2016 ES model in my garage is dependent on when my 2006 EA model gives up and buys the farm. Seeing the new updates will make it really hard to wait now.

The 6 speed should bring in some more buyers from the 6-speed C14 crowd. There has been enough non-fjr owner worry and magazine reviews complaining about the "only 5 speed" and it has certainly scared some people off. Personally I feel the 5 speed is spot on, but will still be interested to hear what the real world opinion is of the new 6.

To me the way to get larger market share is to bump the engine cc some. Do I think it needs it? No. But I own one (have owned 3). But if I'm on a bmw1600 or Kawi 1400, I'm probably not excited about going down in cc's and horsepower.

I don't like it.

Because I like it.

Ever since I got my '14, I look at every other bike and ask (in my head, of course..... usually) "What does that bike do better than mine?" I have yet to come across a bike that compares, for the money.

And now this.

Well, hey there, inferiority complex... it's been a while....

The 6 speed should bring in some more buyers from the 6-speed C14 crowd. There has been enough non-fjr owner worry and magazine reviews complaining about the "only 5 speed" and it has certainly scared some people off. Personally I feel the 5 speed is spot on, but will still be interested to hear what the real world opinion is of the new 6.
To me the way to get larger market share is to bump the engine cc some. Do I think it needs it? No. But I own one (have owned 3). But if I'm on a bmw1600 or Kawi 1400, I'm probably not excited about going down in cc's and horsepower.
When I bought my K1600GTL, I missed my FJR. I think when you do the back of the envelope calculation, the FJR has a higher power to weight ratio by a small amount. But the FJR is a lot lighter than the K16GTL. And it is better balanced, at least for me.

The Kawasaki C14 strikes me as sort of a "tweener." I was considering one up until yesterday. Now I am back firmly on the Yamaha track.

As for the 6 speed vs. 5 speed controversy, I have to admit I really like 6 speeds. The 5 speed is OK. Heck, 50 years ago we were pretty amazed at having 4 speeds, and 5 seemed to be a big upgrade.

Once you get used to the extra gear, you miss it when it's not there on the next bike.

I've had quite a long range of 5 speed bikes in recent years, including couple of BMW Supermoto, a couple of modern Bonnevilles, four FJRs, and three Rocket III Tourings. I've never been impeded by only having 5 gears on any of them.... But I still like 6. It's definitely more "sporty." If Yamaha left the FJR at 5 speeds, it would always "lose" in the comparos against bikes with 6.

You might think it's stupid to let the motorcycle press dictate the terms and specifications for a bike ... but that's the way it is.

I have to admit that the only two things that would have gotten me even more excited about the new FJR would have been if it had been given another 20 hp (without hurting the broad torque band) and a YCC-S option for those of us who have occasional problems with left foot and/or left hand.

Getting old is not for sissies.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ES LED's will require inputs from a new ECU, so I'd be very skeptical any retrofits to other models are feasible. The rear subframe will need help I'm sure.

You know, on this speeds issue, there's nothing to stop you from double up shifting to skip the gears you think are unnecessary. I'd suggest just using 2, 4 and 6 (back to the really olde tyme days).
pinch.gif

Not sure why it is so important to people what "generation" we call it. Why not just use the model years and options (A vs AE vs ES)? Then you know everything that you need to know about the bike including the paint color.
wink.png
As has been stated, there are changes in almost every model year that make them worth differentiating.

As to the new 2016, if I were in the market to buy a new FJR, I'm not sure that the 6 speed transmission, or the fancy LED lighting would get me to write a bigger check for one vs. a leftover 2014 or 2015 ES at a lower price.

Personally, I think that the added gear is going to be a negative, as the gear ratios of the old 5 speed are perfect already. Moving those gears closer together means when you shift the engine rpm will drop less. On the 5 speed the rpm drop is ~ 1k per shift. How much less would anyone want it to drop and why? The one really nice thing about the new transmission is that they modified the gear dogs, so hopefully no more popping second gear transmissions? I guess only time and experience will tell, as that trait is not limited to Yamaha 5 speeds.

The slipper clutch and assist is probably something worth having, but I bet it will be retrofittable to the earlier bikes, possibly all the way back to the earliest first Gens.

The basic LED lights (2016 A models) may also be easily retrofittable to 2013 or later bikes with the same plastics, but I'm not sure what that gets you beyond added bling factor. Comparisons with the halogen headlights will be interesting. The adaptive cornering headlights (ES only) seem gimmicky to me, and not something I can imagine wanting all that much. Maybe if I rode in the dark more often I would feel differently. I'll bet folks will still put a set of aux lights on their bikes.

I like the color (and that it is a color) but I love the color of the bike I have now.

Only the ES model gets the directional head lights.

Yamaha video says that the heated grips provide FOUR levels of warmth, as opposed to the current 3
  • Standard Heated GripsThe FJR1300A includes heated grips straight from factory, adjustable through the multi-function instrumentation, with four settings (three settings plus off) of available heat for cooler conditions and foul weather.
I suppose technically it's 4 settings, but seems a rather cheap use of symantics.
Thanks for pointing this out - I stand corrected and I totally agree, that is a chicken shit marketing ploy. FWIW - why not just add 14 bytes of programming language to the ECU and allow the rider to have 10 settings (9 plus OFF)?

Different subject:

How does Yammie define "analog"? Old motorcycles used cable operated tachometers, which in my book were true "analog" gages - the movement operates by some kind of mechanical means, in this case a cable that was tied to the engine movement. Even my Gen I tach was "digital", which took feedback from an electronic sensor (presumably the ignition pickup) and converted that voltage to some kind of rpm display. I would assume my 2014A works the same way. And so would the 2016?

...that is a chicken shit marketing ploy. FWIW - why not just add 14 bytes of programming language to the ECU and allow the rider to have 10 settings (9 plus OFF)?

Different subject:

How does Yammie define "analog"? ...
My Oxford heated grip controller has 4 heat settings, I feel that 5 would have been better, allowing finer control. Dunno if 3 settings will provide enough resolution without changing settings to 'average' the temp over time.

[guess] Digital: the information is displayed as numbers Analog: The display is not numbers, such as moving needle, blocks (gas) or perhaps incrementing lights from green to red -- regardless of how the information was sourced and processed, the information being conveyed is indicators on a scale. Mechanical: ......... [/guess] This isn't the final answer to all situations in the world, but it does cover what Yamaha is doing with the FJR.

Heated grips-on my '14 it has 3 settings, but you can set those 3 at personal levels from 1 to 10, not sure why having 4 on the '16 is better than the 3 on previous models. As mentioned, marketing.

I either have it off, or medium or high.

Can't wait to see the replacement cost for those LED headlamps on the ES with the leaning feature.

Don't be a hater of the 6 speed...or of the superior 2016...it's just a better version of the Gen 3.
grin.gif
This sounds like a man defending his prized possession !!!

Looking forward to you getting it, you've been chompin at the bit for quite some time...

Good things come to those who wait.....

...Can't wait to see the replacement cost for those LED headlamps on the ES with the leaning feature.
If the engineers did a proper job of heat sinking the LEDs they should outlive the bike. Heck, they may outlive the bike owner. The numbers I've seen show a minimum of 30,000 hours; a halogen is rated around 3,000 - 4,000 hours in ideal non-automotive use.

My biggest concern with buying the '16 would be losing the comfort upgrades I've made to my '07. It's damn near like a Goldwing. Laam seats, MCL highway pegs, Cal-Sci windshield, MV riser plate (with risers added to it). Any one know which, if any, farkles will remain interchangable?

The slipper clutch and assist is probably something worth having, but I bet it will be retrofittable to the earlier bikes, possibly all the way back to the earliest first Gens.
The basic LED lights (2016 A models) may also be easily retrofittable to 2013 or later bikes with the same plastics, but I'm not sure what that gets you beyond added bling factor. Comparisons with the halogen headlights will be interesting. The adaptive cornering headlights (ES only) seem gimmicky to me, and not something I can imagine wanting all that much. Maybe if I rode in the dark more often I would feel differently. I'll bet folks will still put a set of aux lights on their bikes.
I can't wait for the Fred W retrofit thread next year!
no.gif

Good post Fred, but it simply points out how deep the 2016 changes really are. I would bet the slipper clutch cannot be retrofitted, and the LED lights are integrated into a "redesigned cowling" so I would bet heavily against that one too.

Perhaps the end of the "Clutch Soak" as we knew it.