2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the extra add-ons, when are we (and Mama Yama) going to address the ongoing weight gain??? (My '03 listed out about 80 lbs less than my '13)
They figured weights differently in 2003 than later on. I've noted this in the matrix over the years. Oranges and nectarines....so, it's not as pronounced as you suggest....although to be sure...the FJR has still grown heavier as time has gone.

However, it would appear they are addressing the ongoing weight gain. As as stated earlier in this thread (and in my updated matrix)...the 2016 is lighter than 2015. By a small amount..... I believe that's the first time in FJR history that it has gotten lighter.

Regardless, your notion about a Wing or LT is hyperbole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not once have I felt the need for a 6th gear. I've loved every mile on my FJR after a year + and 15k miles and while I don't "need" a new bike I have been looking at a genIII for my next ride. Without a doubt my next bike will be another FJR. Color isn't that important to me but I do really like the blue on this bike. It will be interesting to hear how the newly designed clutch/trans perform and how durable they are. I have mostly lurked here reading everything on the forum for the past year. Most likely I will look for an incredible deal on a 15ES. I prefer the Grey over the Red. Just my opinion. In a few years after the verdict is in maybe a genIII... well, I just won't go there. Glad they are still making these incredible machines. Nice to be able to get an education here from all of you who are a wealth on knowledge on all things FJR.

TPM actually saved my bacon once.

I had TPM on several BMWs, including the K16.

One day I hopped on I-40 and had accelerated to 80 mph, boxed in by trucks, when I noted that the TPM was giving me a warning of a rapid drop in pressure on the front tire.

I was within half a mile of an exit when I noticed this, and I took the exit. By the time I was at the bottom of the exit ramp, the steering was heavy. By the time I'd gotten into a nearby parking lot where I could address the problem, the front tire was flat.

If I'd not had notice via the TPM, I would have found out about it the hard way, caught up between trucks.

I wish the 2016 had TPM, and I'm also one of the guys who would like self cancelling turn signals. In 2016 there's no reason not to have these two features on a flagship Sport Touring bike.

Still, I'm on the list to get one of the 2016 ES bikes as soon as they're available.

After shifting into my imaginary 6th gear about a go-zillion times, I've figured out that-

1. I'm usually not looking at the speedo, and-

2. I'm moving much more quickly than it seems

The FJR continues to deal out Deceptive Speed, thanks to that Top Fuel Locomotive of an engine. My opinion only, but after an hour or more in the saddle, engine speed seems largely irrelevant. 6 close-ratio gears will be fine for really shit hot riders in the twisties, but I'm pretty OK with the 5 in my '04. My VTR 1000 has 6 for those days when I think I'm fast....

Hadn't thought much about TPM but agree and it ought to come with the ABS. Anyway I recently bought a new Zumo390 and there's an optional TPM system for around $140. that works with this GPS. Pretty cool.

Six gears?! Big deal!

I wanted nine trip meters, two gas tanks, a trio of horns, and, and.... and a rear brake on the front!

But I think the 2016 is pretty cool anyway.

From the description - "Designed for use with individual momentary-type turn signal switches mounted on left and right bars; will not work on models with left and right turn signal switch built into one unit that requires push to cancel"

So, looks like for certain Beemers only...... HOWEVER, Kisan has one, which I am using. It requires slight modification of the turn signal switch to make it momentary. You add either the supplied springs or foam pieces on either side of the switch, so it returns to neutral. This acts as a momentary switch for the latching circuitry, and to cancel, just push it again in the same direction. Flash patterns are selectable by dip switches on the module that replaces the OEM flasher, 10, 20 or 30 flashes.

There are added features for turn signals to act as running lights and all lights to flash with brake application........

For sure this is a next version gen 4.

New lighting system

New transmission

Air bag integration system.with the dedicated FJR1300 Dainese D-Air Street system

You are SO right!!!! Six speeds is SO much better than five. So why stop there? If 6 is better than 5, than 7 will be better than 6! Or even 8!!!! Surely 8 speeds would be the best! Or maybe even 9??????
Well, my car has a 7 gear transmission....
But, since it's an automatic, you don't shift them. My last and current company cars have unlimited gears automatically (CVT). The little four banger engine hardly changes rpm as you increase speed. That is technology I would never want to see applied to motorcycles.

Well, each to their own, but there's a reason a TPM system is available on most ST bikes and if Yamaha is trying to play catch up they should have addressed that IMHO. If I'm riding along and something feels a little squirrelly with the handling I like to be able to punch up the TPM and confirm that I'm not getting a flat and it's probably just the road surface--just good for peace of mind. Also, if you pick up a nail it's nice to get a warning so you can pull over and check things out before it goes flat and causes a dangerous handling condition. And like I said, how much could that cost to incorporate into the instrumentation? This is way more important than self-cancelling turn signals.
I would like to see it also. You'd think by 2016 they would have it.

I'd much rather see a warning light in the straight than feel it in the next corner.
I too think that TPMS would be a valuable feature on a bike. Luckily there are several aftermarket ways to get it. It's real hard to but a 6th gear on for your old FJR on eBay.
wink.png

With all the extra add-ons, when are we (and Mama Yama) going to address the ongoing weight gain??? (My '03 listed out about 80 lbs less than my '13)

... However, it would appear they are addressing the ongoing weight gain. As as stated earlier in this thread (and in my updated matrix)...the 2016 is lighter than 2015. By a small amount..... I believe that's the first time in FJR history that it has gotten lighter.
Your matrix shows that the "A" model FJR (only one being produced in those two years) got lighter between 2nd Gen (2012) and 3rd Gen (2013) by 7 whole pounds.

Then, if you got an ES in 2014 you gain those 7 lbs back.

Well, my car has a 7 gear transmission....
But, since it's an automatic, you don't shift them. My last and current company cars have unlimited gears automatically (CVT). The little four banger engine hardly changes rpm as you increase speed. That is technology I would never want to see applied to motorcycles.
Ahh, but I often do shift gears semi-manually, my shifter is setup to allow me to manually shift sequentially motorcycle like, bang the stick up to up shift and bang it down to down shift, it acts like a manual transmission sans a clutch. It's made to allow the engine to be shifted for track use and pops the 'clutch' appropriately for the type driving being done.

Now, that CVT transmission, I've driven some of those there things. If they ever put one on a motorcycle I can guarantee that there will never be one in my garage. It's a wierd experience.

It concerns me that the first two gears in the '16 are taller, my Gen I is already good for 100 kph, err, 62 mph and can reach that in ~3.0 seconds. A taller gear will allow more speed but slower acceleration -- boo, hiss. My Gen I will also pull redline in 5th gear but I'm positive that the '16 will be wind resistance/drag limited in 6th. Since the new FJR's 5th gear is shorter you should be able to briskly pull redline but it will have a lower top speed than my Gen I in 5th, and pull less hard in 6th before it peters out and hits the drag/wind resistance limited top speed.

For sure this is a next version gen 4.
New lighting system

New transmission

Air bag integration system.with the dedicated FJR1300 Dainese D-Air Street system
Guess it depends on the criteria used to decide the generation.

The '16 has no real cosmetic changes, such as in the fairings, etc.

Many seemed concerned on what generation it should be classified as, to me it's a GenIII, and one thing we can all agree on is that it IS a MY2016.

I hate to admit it, but odot got it right.
weirdsmiley.gif

The true 1st Gen was in 2003, 2nd Gen was 2004, 3rd Gen was 2005, etc.

That makes the 2016 a 13th Gen

(aka a MY2016)

I hate to admit it, but odot got it right.
weirdsmiley.gif

The true 1st Gen was in 2003, 2nd Gen was 2004, 3rd Gen was 2005, etc.

That makes the 2016 a 13th Gen

(aka a MY2016)
You have to get out on the ice pack way damn early to outhunt our Inuit Ray, Bustanut joker and Papa Chuy Viejo were drinking with odot last night! JSNS, MukTuk!

No shortage of opinion on the new bike. I see nothing to whine about really. All the FJRs over time have been great creations. I must admit, when I saw that new blue and read about a 6 speed box, I was captivated to the point that for a brief moment, I wished I had waited another year b4 I bought the ES. Now that I am over it, one must admit that the new FJR continues to be competitive with it's ongoing improvements. Dropping the revs at highway speed is a big plus in my way of thinking...improved mileage and lifespan due to reduced piston speed. Lord knows, that engine's tractability is champ. The others changes are a matter of refinement. When all is said and done, all signs point to the top of it's class. And even if you want to compare it to a german marque, the FJR1300ES takes the cake. Evolution is progress (except when it came to the 'Mustang II' LOL) ...anybody remember those? !

There's a real easy way to sort out the generational debate. The site is a democracy right?? Let's run a poll on it!!!. Can someone with the necessary skills here come up with once and for all what constitutes a Gender change? Just my thoughts.
Gazza
I thought the answer to that was simple.... 🙌.