2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want a 6th gear, since sometimes I forget to upshift from 4th on the highway.
I did that after getting on 64, when i left EOM this past year...probably went 10 miles before I noticed
weirdsmiley.gif
banghead.gif

Besides having a still new bike with only 7K, I am among those who fail to see the need for a 6th gear. It seems purely psychological. There is no question of the engine durability, or the lower RPM improving durability. The bike is already bombproof. And the fuel economy difference will be so minor as to be trivial. If it is true that it remains inside the same size transmission casing, then it must be true that the individual gears are slightly thinner. I don't know, it just seems like mamayama engineers bowed to market pressure, but knew it was not an actual improvement. I routinely go fairly long distances and never once have I wished I could lower my 5th gear RPM.
I'll still be breaking my bike in while these new shiny versions are getting tested. I'm eager to hear from those that get them to hear what they think. Just glad they are still committed to the FJR platform as it means parts and such.
Well, one way to look at this is that by bowing to market pressure they will sell more bikes and thus keep them committed to the FJR platform.

The verbreders that come with the explorer edition are not the spacers. They are the mirror mounted hand guards....
According to this

https://www.splashdes...AHA-FJR-1300-06

they are mirror spacers. There's a kind of logic to that, since "mirror spacers" is the actual translation.

After all the bellowing in the past that the FJR has to have a six speed, and now that you got your wish, why is everyone suddenly cold to the '16 six speed? I didn't want a 6 speed but I'm presented with one anyway if I choose to get a '16.
Well Alan, you of all people, should know that the FJR is a porky little pig and there's no way it will be able go fast on the curves unless you row faster and have that bike in the rpm sweet spot. And everybody knows you can't row faster unless you have more gears to row. So to sum up, you need six gears for the FJR to ride with the real sportstourers like the Honda VFR 1000s of this world.

Unless you like going to gatherings where it's just a bunch of grey hairs in their 50s.

;)

After all the bellowing in the past that the FJR has to have a six speed, and now that you got your wish, why is everyone suddenly cold to the '16 six speed? I didn't want a 6 speed but I'm presented with one anyway if I choose to get a '16.
I often wish I had a bit higher top gear. My 06 was always a little buzzy, and I wanted to be able to cruise at a few hundred lower RPM. I've never cared how they achieved that, whether with a higher 5th or a 6th. I doubt the 2016 5th gear will be a significant change from the 2015 5th. We'll have to wait and see. But no one who buys a 2016 *has* to ride in 6th. All you 6th-gear haters can buy a 2016 and just keep it in 5th. That way everyone's happy.

I'm seriously considering a 2016, and not just because of the 6th but because of all the accumulated changes since 06. If I do, I'm going to add a quick-shifter to bring the bike closer to an AE. If it works out well, I'm hoping it will be the best of both worlds--a clutch I can use at stops and a QS for the bulk of my riding. I'm even looking at paddle-shifters, but the ones I've found so far have majorly clunky designs.

On my 06 I solved the buzziness issue with a set of Vibranators:

https://www.vibranator.com/

They don't totally get rid of the buzzies, but they reduce the frequency to a level that's more tolerable to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of that "bellowing" was from non-FJR-owners. Magazine writers, and people that were comparing the FJR to other models (BMW K bike or Concours) Most people that had actually bought one and ridden it for more than just a few test rides came to realize how well the gears are (were) spaced out on the 5-speed and how senseless it was to add another cog just to bump the overdrive up.

But, as palerider insinuates, what people are really looking for with a higher overdrive is to get below that Inline 4 buzzy range around 4k rpm. Personally, I don't think you can do that by just gearing higher, unless you ride like a total grandma.

On my '14, the bike is so damn smooth at all other times that it accentuates the primary engine vibration at that range. The designers have done a really good job of keeping it out of the seat, and the new thicker foot pegs isolate more as well. But the handlebars still buzz.

I may have to try one of those Vibranator setups and see how effective those are. Otherwise, maybe a rubber dampened mounting (in lieu of risers maybe?) could be designed that would be made with the right elastomer density to filter out those 4k vibes without making the steering feel all soft and mushy. I seem to recall that on my prior '94 BMW R1100RS it had some sort of aftermarket bar backs (on it when I bought it) that had some vibration reduction capability.

At work we have some (really smart) guys that measure seismic vibration amplitudes and frequencies that our machines produce and design vibro-mat isolation pads to keep it from coupling into the floor of the buildings they are sitting in for acoustic coupling and propagation reasons. My point is, if someone really wanted to pursue elimination of handle bar buzz, which seems to be the only place it remains objectionable on the FJR, it could be done. It's just a matter of having the know how and money to pull it off.

edit - What's crazy is that I looked on my (totally disorganized) parts shelf and low and behold I somehow have a pair of Vibranators in a box from some prior bike. I'm sure that the spacers, bore diameter, and such are all wrong for the FJR, and probably the weight is wrong for the "mass tuning" needed for the bar shape, length and frequency of the offending vibes on an FJR vs what they were intended, but it is still funny that they are there (and no longer on whatever bike I bought that they were fitted on).

LOL - last weekend, we were running 70-ish on some back country road. Super straight, wide open - I'm just listening to my tunes and riding my ride. After about 7 minutes, I'm thinking "Man, something feels buzzy." I look down, and Ah Ha!!! That's it, I'm in 3rd gear!

Most of that "bellowing" was from non-FJR-owners. Magazine writers, and people that were comparing the FJR to other models (BMW K bike or Concours) Most people that had actually bought one and ridden it for more than just a few test rides came to realize how well the gears are (were) spaced out on the 5-speed and how senseless it was to add another cog just to bump the overdrive up.
But, as palerider insinuates, what people are really looking for with a higher overdrive is to get below that Inline 4 buzzy range around 4k rpm. Personally, I don't think you can do that by just gearing higher, unless you ride like a total grandma.

On my '14, the bike is so damn smooth at all other times that it accentuates the primary engine vibration at that range. The designers have done a really good job of keeping it out of the seat, and the new thicker foot pegs isolate more as well. But the handlebars still buzz.

I may have to try one of those Vibranator setups and see how effective those are. Otherwise, maybe a rubber dampened mounting (in lieu of risers maybe?) could be designed that would be made with the right elastomer density to filter out those 4k vibes without making the steering feel all soft and mushy. I seem to recall that on my prior '94 BMW R1100RS it had some sort of aftermarket bar backs (on it when I bought it) that had some vibration reduction capability.

At work we have some (really smart) guys that measure seismic vibration amplitudes and frequencies that our machines produce and design vibro-mat isolation pads to keep it from coupling into the floor of the buildings they are sitting in for acoustic coupling and propagation reasons. My point is, if someone really wanted to pursue elimination of handle bar buzz, which seems to be the only place it remains objectionable on the FJR, it could be done. It's just a matter of having the know how and money to pull it off.

edit - What's crazy is that I looked on my (totally disorganized) parts shelf and low and behold I somehow have a pair of Vibranators in a box from some prior bike. I'm sure that the spacers, bore diameter, and such are all wrong for the FJR, and probably the weight is wrong for the "mass tuning" needed for the bar shape, length and frequency of the offending vibes on an FJR vs what they were intended, but it is still funny that they are there (and no longer on whatever bike I bought that they were fitted on).
Guess I'm lucky cuz both my '07s have been "electric motor" smooth at 4K rpm, (And above.
grin.gif
) and seem rougher below 3.5K. Fer my bikes; 4K haz been the sweet spot.

I think it's the peeps that come from "paint shaker" twins wanta 6th gear, and get excited if a bikes above 4K.

Itsa shame that we all have to bend over to marketing pressures. :sad:

My review of the current (5 speed) transmission is that the first three gear ratios seem darn near perfect. When shifting to fourth it seems to be a little higher than optimal (but certainly acceptable); I think that with the new six speed that if fourth is made a tad closer to third and a go-between to fifth that would extend the close-ratio tranny to near perfect. Sixth can continue to extend (current fifth) to a slightly higher ratio for perhaps better (hwy) fuel mileage and lower (smoother) rpm at speed. And just as an aside, I sure fine myself looking for sixth on a somewhat regular basis (mostly when I don't do the math and look at my tach) or forget to count up when starting from the basement gears. Two-cents worth (maybe) and anyway: JMO

The verbreders that come with the explorer edition are not the spacers. They are the mirror mounted hand guards....
According to this

https://www.splashdes...AHA-FJR-1300-06

they are mirror spacers. There's a kind of logic to that, since "mirror spacers" is the actual translation.
As an active member of the Dutch FJR coummunity I can give you some background to the 'Explorer' versions.

Yahama Europe has been selling 'Explorer' versions of the FJR before. In fact they started doing that in 2010, using it as a means boost the declining sales figures for the GENII (in Europe we call it the RP13). Now Yamaha did the same in 2015, as it seems to get rid of the leftover GENIII's (we call it the RP23).

As a matter of fact the Explorer versions offered are in fact only leftover RP23's (GenIII). And not the six-speed RP28's (the 2016 model)

The website also states: "Alleen beschikbaar voor model met vijf versnellingen"

Translated: "Available only for model with five-speed"

I agree that there would be a logic to fitting spacers, unfortunately Yamaha does not follow that Logic by using the word.

More commonly used is the term "Handkappen" also referred to as knuckle-visors....

1MC-F61C0-10-00-knuckle-visors-fjr-magnetic-bronze-studio-001.jpg

As you can see: the explore version does not include actual mirror spacers...

2015-Yamaha-FJR1300A-Special-versions-NL-Tech-Graphite-Studio-008.jpg

LOL - last weekend, we were running 70-ish on some back country road. Super straight, wide open - I'm just listening to my tunes and riding my ride. After about 7 minutes, I'm thinking "Man, something feels buzzy." I look down, and Ah Ha!!! That's it, I'm in 3rd gear!
I did that last weekend with 4th. Riding along thinking "must be the old gas or something" when I glanced down and saw 4 instead of 5 DuhHuh!

I often wish I had a bit higher top gear...I've never cared how they achieved that, whether with a higher 5th or a 6th. I doubt the 2016 5th gear will be a significant change from the 2015 5th...
Most of that "bellowing" was from non-FJR-owners. Magazine writers, and people that were comparing the FJR to other models (BMW K bike or Concours) ...But, as palerider insinuates, what people are really looking for with a higher overdrive is to get below that Inline 4 buzzy range around 4k rpm...
Yamaha didn't just stuff an extra gear into the gear box, they redid all the gear ratios. On paper Yamaha has somewhat reduced acceleration in first gear and 6th gear is definitely taller than previous years 5th gear. We have extensively covered the gear ratios earlier in this thread.

At the drag strip the launch and first 60' have a great impact on the final elapsed time. My Gen I is the easiest bike I've ever pointed down the track and puts out very good 60' times. The only issue I have is my Gen I hits red line in 1st so quickly that it was hard to be on time with the shift to second. I have enjoyed the reaction from riders that have to trailer their non street legal bike to the track as I 'tree' them and at least the first run against absolutely faster bikes I can hold my own, it's up to them to run me down before the finish line. Looking at the paper specs, the '16 looks like that track advantage is gone. It remains to be seen what the feel will be like on the street. Who knows, maybe Yamaha has tweaked the fuel/spark map to retain equivalent performance with taller gearing.

Every year just before the next year's FJR is announced it is indeed the Forum which is abuzz about a 6th gear. Do the search
wink.png
Every year there is a lot of talk (as opposed to discussion) about wanting/needing a 6th gear.

Every damn year.

Now it has finally arrived! Paradise has arrived for the 6th gear wanters.

I'm hoping that the 16s are as well done as the other FJRs...I'm sure Joe will love his.

I know some don't, but I love that Cobalt Blue color.

Guess I'm lucky cuz both my '07s have been "electric motor" smooth at 4K rpm, (And above.
grin.gif
) and seem rougher below 3.5K. Fer my bikes; 4K haz been the sweet spot.I think it's the peeps that come from "paint shaker" twins wanta 6th gear, and get excited if a bikes above 4K.

Itsa shame that we all have to bend over to marketing pressures. :sad:
Other than Ionbeam's note about launch speed--and we don't yet know if this will be a problem--I'm not sure why switching from a 5- to a 6-speed elicits such anguish from some of us. Those of us who have Gens I-III bikes and think the 5-speed is perfect still have their perfect bikes and can keep them for as long as they want. And going forward for quite a few years, anyone who wants to have a perfect 5-speed will be able to buy either leftover new Gens I-III or good used Gens I-III. And even if the traditionalists are forced to buy a Gen IV (sorry Ignacio), The good news is that we all have free will. We can choose never to use 6th gear as a protest. Please just be sure to email or phone Yamaha every time you don't upshift so they know about the principled stand you're taking.

I've ridden a '14 and it was amazingly better than my Gen 1. On the highway I was quite happily riding along enjoying the relaxed cruising with good acceleration on tap, then casually looked down to see what the RPMs were when I noticed that I was in 4th gear. On my Gen I in 5th at that speed I would have been looking for 6th gear but on the '14 I didn't even feel the need to shift into 5th.

...The good news is that we all have free will. You can choose never to use 6th gear as a protest...
But that's not what it's about, just one more gear. All the gear ratios are different, everything you are familiar with has changed.

I've ridden a '14 and it was amazingly better than my Gen 1. On the highway I was quite happily riding along enjoying the relaxed cruising with good acceleration on tap, then casually looked down to see what the RPMs were when I noticed that I was in 4th gear. On my Gen I in 5th at that speed I would have been looking for 6th gear but on the '14 I didn't even feel the need to shift into 5th.
...The good news is that we all have free will. You can choose never to use 6th gear as a protest...
But that's not what it's about, just one more gear. All the gear ratios are different, everything you are familiar with has changed.
You may be right. We'll just have to wait and see whether Yamaha has ruined the FJR. If they have, and if there's enough complaining, Yamaha will re-bend to market pressure and bring back the perfect 5-speed. In the meantime, everyone who loves his or her 5-speed should start taking even better care of it.