2016 NFL Playoffs & Superbowl

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All Cam does is score, quick celebration, then gives the ball away to a kid.

I love it! I love seeing the faces on the boy or girl who gets the football...priceless.

I'm old school, too...but what are you going to do? At least it's not that stupid Icky Shuffle or whatever that crap was years ago.

He's giving the football's to the kids instead of acting like a prima Donna and saving all the balls for his trophy case.

I love the Panthers because (besides the winning) Ron Rivera is an old school, son of a military dad, football coach.

I think the SuperBowl is going to be a lot closer than people think.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys know those footballs are something like $250 apiece right? Hell, maybe more now, cuz that was years ago. My dad and I were watching someone's last game, and he kept throwing balls into the stands. The commentators talked about the cost of each ball being around $250. That's a lot of money for a ball.

You guys know those footballs are something like $250 apiece right? Hell, maybe more now, cuz that was years ago. My dad and I were watching someone's last game, and he kept throwing balls into the stands. The commentators talked about the cost of each ball being around $250. That's a lot of money for a ball.
Yeah...I can get a new set of tires, for less than that.

The spike play is specifically exempted in the rules from being intentional grounding. But, I agree that it goes against the spirit and intent of the IG rule (stopping the clock and not trying to pass to a receiver) just the same as throwing at the receiver's feet does when the play breaks down. Not sure how you would change any of that.

No question in my mind that Cam is the best overall QB in the league right now. He is bigger, more athletic, and has more raw physical ability than any of the old school pocket passers (like Brady or Manning). The question is, for how long can he hold up? Some other run-option QBs have looked good for a short time (thinking of Kapernick, RG3, Luck, etc.) but that kind of play is awfully rough on the QB. Cam is bigger and stronger than any of them, so maybe he can pull it off for longer, but it is still a question of for how long.

I haven't seen enough of Carolina's games to know if Cam has the quickness of mind that defines a great QB either. How effective is he at instantly reading the defense? Is he able to adjust in real time to receiver's option routes and know where they will be based on the defensive alignment? I think Carolina's offense is probably considerably simpler than the Pats' or Manning's old pass offenses at Denver and Indy (not the current Kubiak one, which is pretty simple) but that doesn't mean that he couldn't do it if he were on a team with that kind of an offensive system.

I haven't watched much of Carolina play, but one thing is clear -- these guys know how to individually celebrate anything that is even close to good play, every play. They are all over the field leaned back howling, holding their crotch and other 'power celebration' moves. I'm not sure of the relationship of individual play vs team play where the team congratulates an individual for good play.

The rules explicitly prohibit "group celebrations". That is why the pack isn't howling or holding their crotches together as a team. It gets too expensive in penalty yards and fines. Otherwise I'm sure there would be a group hug after every bad play, just like in volleyball.

I think it is ridiculous if they fine the players for giving away a ball. Don't the teams supply the balls themselves? (Deflategate) So who does it hurt? And what better way to make a fan for LIFE by giving a young kid a ball from a touchdown from 'their' team. Seems to me to be a good way of making fans happy and in my opinion there should be more of it.

The rules explicitly prohibit "group celebrations"....
I have observed several TEAMS that form an informal line such that the majority of the players on the field will pass by the do-gooder and say good job without it being a mob sticking it to the opposing team. What in Roger Goodall's small mind would constitute a GROUP?

I think it is ridiculous if they fine the players for giving away a ball. Don't the teams supply the balls themselves? (Deflategate) So who does it hurt? And what better way to make a fan for LIFE by giving a young kid a ball from a touchdown from 'their' team. Seems to me to be a good way of making fans happy and in my opinion there should be more of it.
Wilson Sporting Goods provides at least 24,960 official game footballs each season — 780 per team — for game use. Before each game, the footballs are prepared according to the NFL's rules. Two hours and 15 minutes prior to kickoff, both teams will be required to bring 24 footballs (12 primary and 12 back-up) to the Officials’ Locker Room for inspection.

Since there are a limited number of footballs for a game and they are controlled before the game starts it could be a problem if lots of balls are given out during the game. BUT -- I agree, it isn't really about the cost of the balls, the good will, priceless (more or less
wink.png
)

I think Carolina's offense is probably considerably simpler than the Pats' or Manning's old pass offenses at Denver and Indy...
Simpler or not, the Panthers have put up big numbers on the opposing teams.

It gets down to a coach using a system designed for the players on hand...and the players executing. I think the Panthers are a good team, led by a good coach.

I also think that it will be interesting to see what the Broncos throw at Cam. They completely manhandled the Patriots so much...I've never seen Brady under so much pressure...nor so spooked. I admired him for performing the way he did under incredible pressure. I'm not sure I've ever seen that much on a quarterback in a game...except maybe watching a typical Bears game.
smile.png

juniorfjr posted: Read somewhere that he's (edit: Cam Newton) fined something like $2300 per football and he's over a half million now.
Well, he earns a half million dollars in, what, each quarter of each game? Keep it up, Cam! He's one of the few who seem to honestly enjoy the game and Carolina good plays, rather than celebrating as an "in-your-face" move.

And the future problems for Cam and Carolina is that his hit on the salary cap increases from (a paltry) 13M this year to 19.5M, 20.0M, 21.5M, and 23.2M over then next 4 years, which means they will need to cut some salary elsewhere and will result in him being surrounded by mediocrity in the future. Compare that with 14M this year, and 15M and 16M for TB12 over the next 2 years. Yeah his wife is rich, but he's also smart enough to know that he looks a whole lot better when he's surrounded by a good team.

FWIW - This web site does not show him being fined for giving kids footballs. Yeah, it's just another urban legend.

There ain't no future in football. It's all now.

As they are in the SuperBowl...it looks like a better investment than say...a certain Florida team's quarterback contract or a certain Georgia team's quarterback.

They are in the Superbowl, and as many teams have found out...you can spend a ton of money and never get to the big dance.

They got there and seem to be having fun with their teammates doing it. I'm old school, too...but I remember the Punky QB having fun in 85. Cam seems like less than a punk than that dood was.

I believe the football rule is that you will be fined if you throw or kick a ball into the stands. No fine if you hand it to someone. The result is really no different than the player keeping their touchdown balls.

This topic needs to be revived. It's the day of reckoning for the teams. Hope it's entertaining. And no matter what, no ill feelings towards Feejer Panther fans. Just finished a La Phroig with cheese and crackers. I'm ready. Go Broncos!

So far... the pregame is pretty gruesome. Not sure that I can stand any more of Cam's self-love. But I'm chaulking that up to the overzealous announcers making crap over nothing. I mean, it has happened a few times before...

I sure hope things get better when they bring the pigskins out on the field and toss the coin.