2016 NFL Playoffs & Superbowl

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyed reading the viewpoints of yours.

The funniest part of the broadcast is when TOM Brady got BOOOOOOED by the crowd when announced for the past 50 MVPs. Then the other Patriot did too.

I do not share the disdain that others do for Brady. But find it ironic that they would be fawning over him if he played for their team.

Peyton is retiring on endorsements. Budweiser must be his latest.
I was wondering the same, but Budweiser claimed in an article this morning that Peyton received no money from them for the mention...odd. Perhaps Peyton is just goofy that way, lol.

I found this quote about the Panthers from T.J. Ward on the NFL site quite telling:

"They want to be famous. We want to be champions. They want to be rappers and backup dancers. We want to play football."

And the football thread morphs into a beer fest!
punk.gif
Football does not exist without beer. It's completely on topic. ;)

I found this quote about the Panthers from T.J. Ward on the NFL site quite telling:"They want to be famous. We want to be champions. They want to be rappers and backup dancers. We want to play football."
While accurate, it is still pretty braggadocios of Ward to call them out that way.

But he is spot on right about some of the Panthers' pre-game antics.

Really... MVP on your golden boots, and a golden superman shirt? SMH

Tried to stay up to watch the commercials.

Didn't see any sexist type scantily clad women stuff and got bored and went to bed.

I'm glad somebody won...

:)

Interesting thread. Everything a person could want to learn about such a wide range of subjects. I did like Lady Gaga's version of the National Anthem, though while in general I like it best sung "straight," with zero frills, hers was really pretty good. But I saw this some time ago; it's a "rock" version, but I thought it was excellent. Probably helps that the singer is I.D.'d as a navy veteran, gives him some extra credibility points, I thought. See what you think.

Peyton is retiring on endorsements. Budweiser must be his latest.
I was wondering the same, but Budweiser claimed in an article this morning that Peyton received no money from them for the mention...odd. Perhaps Peyton is just goofy that way, lol.
He's had/has interests in distributorships and franchises but I'm sure there's so much more there than we'll ever know. I couldn't help but notice when, during the past MVP ceremony intros, the camera cut to Peyton sitting deep in thought in front of his locker, chugging on a Gatorade while right behind him in clear view was a skid-load of Gatorade cases. The references to Budweiser was just odd. And then there was the Papa John kiss. They've come a long way from selling cars in the off-season.

I enjoyed the game despite pulling for the panthers (die hard Tar Heel fan, hence "yanktar"). It was a nail biter down to the 2 minute warning.

Both defenses were amazing. Both offenses looked fairly feeble as a result. But I really like old-time defensive battles. Think of the Steel Curtain, the No-Name Defense, Laurence Taylor and Hollywood Henderson!

GaGa's Anthem was stunning. So many singers get freaked at stadia with their echoes, but she knew EXACTLY what she was doing. Tony Bennett really helped her grow up. And, at 50, Marlee Matlin is still beautiful. I'm just sorry they didn't show more of her signing.

I thought the half-time show sucked to the point of boredom. I don't get them hiring British musicians for it. If you think "football" means soccer, then you shouldn't play the Superbowl!

Except, of course, the Stones! Beyonce and Bruno Mars can both really sing...so why didn't they instead of shouting?

At least Gaga didn't Aguilerra it and forget the words (ooops!).

I'd just like to hear some artist realize that the song is way bigger than they are and come out and sing it totally straight, without adding tremolo, big runs, or changing the melody (or lyrics) at all. That would be really something. That's when you know that you have really arrived: When you can do it straight and still kill it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, you are the budweiser of the FJR Forum. Your 16,859 posts (and counting) must be close to a record. That's an average of nearly 1700 posts per year, or nearly 5 posts every single day.

Every single day.... If that's not dilution of content, I've never seen it.

Is there anything that you don't know? Are there any subjects you're not an expert on? Wait ... I suspect I know the answer ....

Grab a Jamison and take the edge off.

JSNS

Nice to see Denver beat the Pats. Sorry Pats fans. Peyton can't win the Super Bowl, but Denver's defense could. Carolina looks good against the Cardinals. This may be Cam's year. Go Steelers! I mean......Go Whoever!
As I said previously above, Peyton can't win the Super Bowl, but Denver's defense could. It's the first time I've ever been right about anything. I thought it needed to be pointed out. If you make enough predictions over time, you can be spot on at least once. Denver's defense made Cam and the Panthers offense look a little less lethal. My statement was more right on than anything Nostradamus ever uttered. Fun game to watch. Much better than a blowout.

Fred, you are the budweiser of the FJR Forum. Your 16,859 posts (and counting) must be close to a record. That's an average of nearly 1700 posts per year, or nearly 5 posts every single day.

Is there anything that you don't know? Are there any subjects you're not an expert on? Wait ... I suspect I know the answer ....

JSNS
Guess I touched a raw nerve there, eh?
rolleyes.gif

One thing that I do know something about is beer. The rest of the stuff I talk about I'm mostly just bullshitting. Just like you most of the time. See we are pretty the same after all, you and I, except I know something about beer.
bleh.gif

You guys mostly know I don't watch football. I lost interest years ago. I only saw about 10 minutes of yesterday's game. Enough to see Cam Newton get his ass handed to him. Either way, I didn't care. Then, in training today, all my guys were bitching about Cam's crybaby antics. They insisted on YouTubing some of them. Lots of them are Panthers fans.

All I'll say is this: Cam Newton is a spoiled, selfish pussy, who has no business anywhere near a professional football team. 30 years ago, in high school, a quaterback like him would have gotten the shit kicked out of him by the linemen. Then I realized, it is little pansy assholes like him that turned me off of the game. If I was the coach, I'd fire him, immediately. Or better yet, I'd keep him and bench his entitled, untalented, useless ass.

I don't like the Broncos, but I'm glad they beat the Panthers.

You guys mostly know I don't watch football. I lost interest years ago. I only saw about 10 minutes of yesterday's game. Enough to see Cam Newton get his ass handed to him. Either way, I didn't care. Then, in training today, all my guys were bitching about Cam's crybaby antics. They insisted on YouTubing some of them. Lots of them are Panthers fans.
All I'll say is this: Cam Newton is a spoiled, selfish pussy, who has no business anywhere near a professional football team. 30 years ago, in high school, a quaterback like him would have gotten the shit kicked out of him by the linemen. Then I realized, it is little pansy assholes like him that turned me off of the game. If I was the coach, I'd fire him, immediately. Or better yet, I'd keep him and bench his entitled, untalented, useless ass.

I agree with everything except saying Newton is untalented. He is very talented, but he did appear to have that superman mentality thinking, because he had such a great season he was entitled to the championship. He learned the hardest way that the NFL has a way of proving that no one is better than the game. I made the statement before the playoffs that I thought he had matured. He sure proved me wrong!

...I only saw about 10 minutes of yesterday's game. Enough to see Cam Newton get his ass handed to him...Cam Newton is a spoiled, selfish puss...bench his entitled, untalented, useless ass...I don't like the Broncos, but I'm glad they beat the Panthers.
I agree with everything except saying Newton is untalented. He is very talented, but he did appear to have that superman mentality thinking, because he had such a great season he was entitled to the championship...
Football is a team sport, no one player on either side of the ball can do it all by themselves. Some people mistake past success as meaning they are omnipotent. When a team depends on one player to carry the team and that one player gets shut down it leads to things like, well, the Panthers/Broncos game. I have to agree, I don't like the Broncos, but I'm glad they beat the Panthers
smile.png

On another paragraph so as not to poison the previous statements. The Patriots don't really have any top tier players except for maybe Gronk and Gostkowski yet their play as a team makes them greater than the parts, which makes them harder to beat. Check the weekly top 5 players at all positions and you will almost never see a Patriots' player listed, yet as a team and with good coaching they win more than lose. The Broncos had a great game plan and a better team and stifled the Patriots team. There was no Manning Magic but it wasn't needed because the team carried the game.

JSNS
Guess I touched a raw nerve there, eh?
rolleyes.gif

One thing that I do know something about is beer. The rest of the stuff I talk about I'm mostly just bullshitting. Just like you most of the time. See we are pretty the same after all, you and I, except I know something about beer.
bleh.gif
If you like Budweiser, I'd question that too!
bad.gif

OTOH, if you lean toward Guinness and Trappist ale....
punk.gif

...I only saw about 10 minutes of yesterday's game. Enough to see Cam Newton get his ass handed to him...Cam Newton is a spoiled, selfish puss...bench his entitled, untalented, useless ass...I don't like the Broncos, but I'm glad they beat the Panthers.
I agree with everything except saying Newton is untalented. He is very talented, but he did appear to have that superman mentality thinking, because he had such a great season he was entitled to the championship...
Football is a team sport, no one player on either side of the ball can do it all by themselves. Some people mistake past success as meaning they are omnipotent. When a team depends on one player to carry the team and that one player gets shut down it leads to things like, well, the Panthers/Broncos game. I have to agree, I don't like the Broncos, but I'm glad they beat the Panthers
smile.png

On another paragraph so as not to poison the previous statements. The Patriots don't really have any top tier players except for maybe Gronk and Gostkowski yet their play as a team makes them greater than the parts, which makes them harder to beat. Check the weekly top 5 players at all positions and you will almost never see a Patriots' player listed, yet as a team and with good coaching they win more than lose. The Broncos had a great game plan and a better team and stifled the Patriots team. There was no Manning Magic but it wasn't needed because the team carried the game.
This is why football stats are so much harder to untangle than baseball or even basketball stats, because they are totally interdependent. Take a GREAT QB and give him a shitty O-line and he'll look like shit. Take a GREAT O-line and give them a no-more-than competent QB and everyone will talk about how he's the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. Look what Ryan Fitzpatrick did for my team, the Jets. He's a good journeyman quarterback, and the Jets offensive line was pretty good this year and was tailored around Ryan's strengths and weaknesses, and so they did well.

A measure of a defense's effectiveness is how little time they spend on the field. Part of that's how many 3&outs they get, But time on defense is also connected to how well the offense holds the ball. It's all connected.

If you've got a great stable of running backs who consistently get 4 yards or more, and get lots of 2nd-and-short downs, your QB won't be passing that much and his stats may not look so good because they don't need to.

A QB's rated on completions but how many passes did the Panthers drop Sunday that they should have caught? Usually steady Jerome Cotchery seemed to have nothing but butter on his fingers. Did he make even one completion? Yet that counts against Newton.

If you pass the ball for 2 yards and the receiver runs 48 yards, or if you pass 48 yards and the receiver runs for 2, they both count as 50 yard completions, but are utterly different animals.

Then, to top it off, the NFL changes the rules every year so 2015's stats and 2014's stats cannot generally be compared (think: PATs missed). Baseball rule changes are rare and very conservative, so a .300 hitter today isn't much different than a .300 after 1902 (when fouls began to be counted as strikes). There are SOME differences--pitchers are more restricted on their motions, spit balls are outlawed and the mound is lower, which helps the batter, but fielder's gloves are far bigger and better, as well as eye shades which offsets that. But, in general, a .300 hitter is a .300 hitter.

Football. Definitely a team sport.

I agree with everything except saying Newton is untalented. He is very talented, but he did appear to have that superman mentality thinking, because he had such a great season he was entitled to the championship. He learned the hardest way that the NFL has a way of proving that no one is better than the game. I made the statement before the playoffs that I thought he had matured. He sure proved me wrong!
On paper and in the media everyone had given the trophy to the Panthers already. Then you play the game and discover all those prognosticators were wrong. That is why they play the game. I think a few of the Panthers believed all the media hype and went out an laid an egg when they discovered that Denver's defense came to play and kicked their ass all over the field. Newton;s interview after the game was a classless act by the league MVP. Yeah he has a lot of maturing to do. All he has to do is look back to SB 48 and 49 and see how those losing quarterbacks dealt with it for examples of how he should act if he truly wants to be the best. It is easy to be gracious when you win, but losing will show your true colors. He failed this one badly and he has no one to blame but himself.

Football is a team sport that looks for leaders to rally around. Time will tell how Newton and the Panthers respond...

But damn, credit to Denver they sure hit the snot out of Newton
smile.png
Seemed like every time he turned around to dodge either Ware or Miller, he would turn to go the other way and was hit or sacked. They had a great plan to neutralize Newton;s running ability which seemed to greatly affect him. Now the rest of the league has the blueprint how to get him out of his game.