2019 FJR Details Released

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they look like shit, and are a fool’s errand. Like buying a car at full price that you know has a bad transmission. You’re behind before you leave the showroom. They’re going to be giving these away. Just awful.

I am now the owner on a 2019 FJR 1300 ES ( big shit eating grin).

This is a refined version of the 2007 A model that was killed by a deer but saved me. My take on the changes of the features and feel.

Ergonomics: very subtly different, I may not need to put risers on for riding position.

Clutch: light pull, different engagement due to the slipper clutch which does not require the same level of finesse of the 2007.

Throttle: The throttle spring is light which changes the feel. The 07 spring was strong and required a good grip, adding power required effort. Now the throttle response is smoothly aggressive, not just aggressive. The throttle - clutch - a few more rpm - as you let the clutch out is different. The touring mode is relaxed and the sports model is back to normal response. In either mode you can be a hooligan very quickly, you just have to be more determined in the touring mode.

6 gears vs 5: Very appropriate. The gears are nicely spaced and the 6th gear is a good addition. The fuel economy shows the effect. The gearbox behavior is similar may be a bit smoother in shifting. The engine braking is still awesome - reminder for a gear brake light trigger module.

Cruise Control: does a good job and a good addition, it stops the speed creeping up which can happen so easily.

ES: I now have a better understanding of the effects of stiffness and damping. So far in my exploration, the behavior is still excellent. I am still in the first break-in period, so I’m being gentle.

Lights : The headlights are plain awesome. You can almost see the future on high beams.

Brakes: Same as the 07 with new pads. I haven’t got into the real peg scraping yet so in terms of the trail linking so far it seems to be the same, it feels more nimble, again it could be the suspension affecting the feel.

Center Stand: The geometry has improved for getting it onto the stand. The 07 was challenging, you really had to want it on the stand, stomping and pulling to lift the rear. This was a nice surprise.

The windscreen is to small for long high speed with my height, I think a larger screen is in the future. The small screen in 26 degrees temperature is not as much fun as the 07 Rifle screen.

The horn is a surprise, only one and is embarrassing, not the two of the 07. This will be upgraded very soon.

The paint scheme is Phantom Blue and Black. The Blue is stunning and the black makes working on the bike more challenging, stuff just disappears, the answer to that is good illumination of the workspace. I’m adding Motolights on the front forks, LED strips on the fixed edges of the hard cases to give more information to the people trying to kill me. It seems to provide more distance information. I had this setup on the 07. My son who is a human factors guru was enthusiastic about them on the 07. I seem to have fewer people pulling out in front of me.

The instrumentation is clear, I’m calibrating the count up to empty on the fuel to see where the limit is. Once I get the GPS mounted I can check the speed accuracy. The 07 was reading high until I ran a 195/55 on the back which made the actual and indicated speeds match.

I’m in love again. The machine is a magic carpet, it is not cantankerous, it does what you want. The Phantom Blue generates a lot of comments at work. I ride year round except the slippery stuff. I did find some snow chains for motorcycles but my wife was very negative. The FJR is probably not the right beast to try snow chains on anyway.

I’m looking to visit Crater Lake, and swing by Glacier National park next year may be a coast to coast for giggles. The OEM tires are Bridgestone 023’s. The 07 got over 10K on a set before changing to the T30 evo GT which were consistent at 13K then the Michelin PR4 which had 6K miles at the time of the crash and looked new. I’ll decide what to put on next in 9000 miles.

This machine does put a smile on my face because of where and how it can take me, even though it might be boring to some.

I am now the owner on a 2019 FJR 1300 ES ( big shit eating grin). This is a refined version of the 2007 A model that was killed by a deer but saved me. My take on the changes of the features and feel. Ergonomics: very subtly different, I may not need to put risers on for riding position. Clutch: light pull, different engagement due to the slipper clutch which does not require the same level of finesse of the 2007. Throttle: The throttle spring is light which changes the feel. The 07 spring was strong and required a good grip, adding power required effort. Now the throttle response is smoothly aggressive, not just aggressive. The throttle - clutch - a few more rpm - as you let the clutch out is different. The touring mode is relaxed and the sports model is back to normal response. In either mode you can be a hooligan very quickly, you just have to be more determined in the touring mode. 6 gears vs 5: Very appropriate. The gears are nicely spaced and the 6th gear is a good addition. The fuel economy shows the effect. The gearbox behavior is similar may be a bit smoother in shifting. The engine braking is still awesome - reminder for a gear brake light trigger module. Cruise Control: does a good job and a good addition, it stops the speed creeping up which can happen so easily. ES: I now have a better understanding of the effects of stiffness and damping. So far in my exploration, the behavior is still excellent. I am still in the first break-in period, so I’m being gentle. Lights : The headlights are plain awesome. You can almost see the future on high beams. Brakes: Same as the 07 with new pads. I haven’t got into the real peg scraping yet so in terms of the trail linking so far it seems to be the same, it feels more nimble, again it could be the suspension affecting the feel. Center Stand: The geometry has improved for getting it onto the stand. The 07 was challenging, you really had to want it on the stand, stomping and pulling to lift the rear. This was a nice surprise. The windscreen is to small for long high speed with my height, I think a larger screen is in the future. The small screen in 26 degrees temperature is not as much fun as the 07 Rifle screen. The horn is a surprise, only one and is embarrassing, not the two of the 07. This will be upgraded very soon. The paint scheme is Phantom Blue and Black. The Blue is stunning and the black makes working on the bike more challenging, stuff just disappears, the answer to that is good illumination of the workspace. I’m adding Motolights on the front forks, LED strips on the fixed edges of the hard cases to give more information to the people trying to kill me. It seems to provide more distance information. I had this setup on the 07. My son who is a human factors guru was enthusiastic about them on the 07. I seem to have fewer people pulling out in front of me. The instrumentation is clear, I’m calibrating the count up to empty on the fuel to see where the limit is. Once I get the GPS mounted I can check the speed accuracy. The 07 was reading high until I ran a 195/55 on the back which made the actual and indicated speeds match. I’m in love again. The machine is a magic carpet, it is not cantankerous, it does what you want. The Phantom Blue generates a lot of comments at work. I ride year round except the slippery stuff. I did find some snow chains for motorcycles but my wife was very negative. The FJR is probably not the right beast to try snow chains on anyway. I’m looking to visit Crater Lake, and swing by Glacier National park next year may be a coast to coast for giggles. The OEM tires are Bridgestone 023’s. The 07 got over 10K on a set before changing to the T30 evo GT which were consistent at 13K then the Michelin PR4 which had 6K miles at the time of the crash and looked new. I’ll decide what to put on next in 9000 miles. This machine does put a smile on my face because of where and how it can take me, even though it might be boring to some.
You state you ran a 195/55 rear tire. Are you sure it was not a 190/55? I do not think they make a 195/55 motorcycle tire in most brands. I have used 190/55 rear tires on a 2007 and my current 2014 and it put the speedo dead on with the GPS.

You are correct it was a 190/55. Senior moment!

The tire profile does change to handling. With the standard tire 180/55 you can use the full width, with the 190/55 the hardware scrapes before using the full width.

The front pressure on the 07 was 39 psi. The 19 lists 36 psi. Rear is still at 42psi recommended. Not sure of the reason for the front pressure change, i will watch the front wear pattern.

All the best

Congrats on the new '19 Wizard! Keep those tires pumped up good and tight, the new models still like the same pressure we've all become accustomed too.

Enjoy the new ride!!

~G