72 hour countdown started

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdperry

Reaction score
Planning on meeting a bunch of GoldWing DS'ers in Summersville, W. Virginia for one of their bi-annual ride-ins (I had a Wing before the FJR).

Haven't done a whole bunch of "planned" riding - usually just hop on the bike and ride till I am tired and then head back home. About 1200 miles 1 way. Plan on pulling out of my house at around 11:30PM on 07/02 to start the trip and ride it straight through and see if I can't get my SS1000 in. Figure get most of my night time riding in when I'm still fresh and then the end of it should still be daylight (unless I get delayed drastically - then I'll just 2 day it).

In case you can't tell.. I'm already ready to go! Now I'm just leaving the bike parked until it's time to leave out. Got new rubbers (very important
w00t.gif
) and new rain gear (because I KNOW it's going to rain on me) - had Road Toads before but broke down and got some Olympia Horizon gear, and I really like it.

This will be the first long trip I've taken on the FJR (before now, it's been a max of around 250 miles 1 way.

And yes, the girl's dirty, but with all the rain we've been getting here in Texas I know that within a few hours of heading out I'll hit at least 1 shower so I figured why waste the time on the minor stuff and changed the oil again (only had 1800 miles on what was in it) and flushed the brakes/clutch again.

T0gHliV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you have me jealous and I want to come with you. The forecast for Texas is dry for the next few days, but in case it isn't ....

... this is what your bike will look like after a few days riding in the rain :D

DSCN0226-L.jpg

Have fun!

Have fun, but you packed too much stuff. I'll bet you bring about half of that on your next trip. Unless you are camping, then you probably brought the correct amount of stuff.
bike.gif

Have fun, but you packed too much stuff. I'll bet you bring about half of that on your next trip. Unless you are camping, then you probably brought the correct amount of stuff.
bike.gif
Saddlebags are empty. Had to have some room to bring the trinkets back for Momma.

Basically all I have is 2 pairs of clothes and 1 long sleeve shirt in the tail bag and then a few items for the door prizes. The round bag on the back has my rain gear and the waterproof Joe Rocket jacket insert in it. The tank bag is used for my clear visor for the Shoei, my iPhone 5s (used for music and weather alerts) and then a couple of water bottles and some first aid stuff in one side pocket and my GoPro batteries/chargers in the other. I'm planning on making a 10-12 day trip out of it, so will be washing clothes every other day at the least.

Walmart...bag of undies, bag of socks. Then, there's a zillion tourist stops with t-shirts for sale dirt cheap. You can go further than two days without needing to do laundry.
biggrin.png

Walmart...bag of undies, bag of socks. Then, there's a zillion tourist stops with t-shirts for sale dirt cheap. You can go further than two days without needing to do laundry.
biggrin.png
I'm rather particular with my socks and undies. They have to be a certain brand and style or I'm not comfortable.
grin.gif

And one saddle bag is devoted to those t-shirts to bring back to the poor suckers - I mean family members - that won't get to go.

I could have packed another several days worth of stuff, but then wouldn't have the spare room I do now.

Well, about to eat a quick bite of soup and then heading out.

My wife got me a SPOT Gen 3 to play with so the shared map of the ride (and the next 7 days) will be located here.

Was a long trip. Between stopping to clean the "love" bugs off every 30 minutes or so around Texarkana and then all the construction and accidents that folks have in those zones it took me 23 hours to get up here. Total saddle time (GPS not moving time) was almost 20 hours. No real food stops other than a package of Sno-Balls and an egg McMuffin. Once I got up here first order of business was running to WalMart to pick up a few items, then to Burger King for 2 whoppers then back to the room to scarf them down. Then it was a soak in a hot tub then a hot shower and Aleve and bed.

Figured out my gloves are a little small on my right hand. The thumb is totally numb now, and it's from it compressing the tip. Time to order some new ones (again) or to cut the tip of my thumb off.

The roads up here are plenty curvy, but they are a "little" rough. The scenic views are fantastic.