9th annual Ride to the Rock 11/26

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are now a Marine Toys for Tots Run....
Call me a dummy, but what does that entail, George? I think I have a rough idea.

PS - route upload would be appreciated.
The idea of this is to bring a new unwrapped toy to the ride to be distributed to the kids at Christmas. I wanted to collect the toys and bring them to my office, to be used as a collection point, to be picked up by the Marines. I may have jumped the gun on this because I can't get the Marine charity people to call me back. :angry2:

I'm having a brain freeze (Gov Perry moment) and can't remember how to post a file. :unsure:

Anyone that would like to receive a gpx file of the route please PM me with your email address and I'll get it right out.

Dang, George, I was thinking this was the Friday after Thanksgiving.... I have to work Friday and Saturday night. I've been away from the forum for a bit (that'll teach me :angry: ) going absolutely apeshit working extra hours. . . trying to make up for what I have and will have to spend to get my bike road worthy again. Though all thanks and credit need to go out to Aroostook for helping me out by keeping his eyes peeled and finding me deals on parts both here as well as flea bay. I've gotten the swing arm, rear rim, swing arm pivot bolt and set of mufflers for a fraction of OEM prices, literally. Of course, he IS funded by the great state of Maine and hooked up with one of them there supervisory jobs where you can watch out for these sorts of things, jes' sayin'.

Too bad for me, I'll end up missing this event again. I was gonna drag Becky's bike out of moth balls to make this one, too! Shit. :angry:

Looks like I am out. I am trying to put new floors in my house and I'm way behind schedule.

The Toys for Tots portion of the run has been cancelled. Evidently, they have enough toys because I can't get them to call me back, Sorry for the confusion, I jumped the gun on this.

Oh, yeah he did. Ole' CJ is the great breaker downer... :rolleyes:

But here's a funny one. For the past three years I've told George: Ya man, I'm coming for your ride. And each year the (adult) kids would come home and want to do stuff on the weekend after Turkey gorging. This year I have an opening. The boy has to work and the girls will entertain themselves, they say. Nice... I'm finally in. ;)

Then on today's Hardwick ride, when we pull into the rendezvous location in Littleton, bluejag points at my right fork leg and brake caliper, which is then soaked in fork oil and calmly asks... "So, that is on your winter "To-Do" list, huh?

I'm like: Hamina, hamina, hamina... I guess it is now. :huh: :eek: :blink: Fooking fork seal! *%D*&-*!

No probs today, but I'd be remiss to let it go another ride. All day today I was wondering how much fork oil I had on the right side of my tire and right brake pad. Of course I tried not to let it slow me down too much. So now I have three weekdays to see if I can cob some kind of a repair (if I thought I could get the seals I'd replace 'em) or else choose another bike for next weekend.

Hmmm it would clearly be a "V" choice. V-strom or VFR? Either way, I hope the current predictions for warm weather are right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geeeze Fred, I do believe that the blue wonder is a afraid to come to RI, there can be no other conclusion. :unsure:

This has been a Yami fork seal year, first my nephew's 05, then the right leg on my 07, Axeman's 06, now your 05. I seem to remember when mine went that I had to wait for the seals to ship. :angry2:

I am planning on making this ride as it stands right now. I have brake pads on order for the front and they haven't shipped out yet. I went through several sights and most all said they were out of stock. This sight didn't say one way or the other so I have my fingers crossed. From what I can tell I have nothing left to the front brakes and for the last week have been applying the rear mostly. I replaced the rear pads this spring. The weather outlook so far is looking good.

Dave

A big maybe for me, if Pete can go and split the room cost.

Pete and I went for a 320 mile ride today around the Cats, and what a perfect day we had. Until I saw cords on my rear tire. It only slowed me down a little :D . Now I have to see if I can get tires on by Friday so I can see the Rock.

Art

Geeeze Fred, I do believe that the blue wonder is a afraid to come to RI, there can be no other conclusion. :unsure:

This has been a Yami fork seal year, first my nephew's 05, then the right leg on my 07, Axeman's 06, now your 05. I seem to remember when mine went that I had to wait for the seals to ship. :angry2:

Looks like I'll be riding the B4 this Saturday after all. :yahoo:

I pulled off the offending fork leg, removed the dust cap and cleaned out all the collected road spooge from on top of the oil seal. Then I cut myself out a home-made Yankee frugal "seal-mate" out of a piece of old milk bottle. I just made it roughly the same shape as the Motion Pro tool, and used it per their helpful instruction video.

It worked just like they show. When I extracted the plastic hook it came out with a nice layer of dirty gunk. Repeated a second time for good measure. Cleaned everything up and bench tested it. It sealed right back up, good as new. Pulled the cap off and spring out and topped up the fork oil to the 100mm spec. The level had dropped 30mm from when I flushed the forks this spring, which explains the oily mess. Also cleaned up my brake caliper best I could with brake cleaner spray, and then took it out for a successful test ride.

Woo hoo!!!

Last edited by a moderator: