Advice on Possible FJR Purchase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere on this forum I've seen commuter bags? Not sure but I think the lids are just a little narrower than the standard, consequently making the bike a little easier to manipulate in tight spots.
I think those were on the FJ-09 if I'm not mistaken. Would surely help a bit size-wise but I'd be thinking more about overall weight and ease of maneuvering. When it comes to parking, the crowns of the streets seem more severe in the city for some reason and the road conditions (think all sorts of grates, plates and crap along the gutters) don't make things any easier.

I think the FJR would be horrible as a NYC commuter bike.
Yes indeed.

Something like a 650 VStrom would be about perfect though.

We all compromise, and make our bikes work where they really shouldn't (my FJR on Hancock Pass is a good example), but some compromises are more significant than others, and hauling the FJR through commuter traffic every day isn't something I would like to do. That VFR850 of Freds would be better.

I have no problem using it as a daily commuter in one of the worst traffic cities in the U.S. But I wouldn't do it if I had to park it on the street. I'm fortunate enough that my bike is in covered, secure parking at home and at work. If I lived up north where it was really cold 3/4 of the year, I'm not sure I'd commute on two wheels at all.

I think on your scale the FJR would be more of a 5.I'm thinking a 10 would be a supermoto.
This. Although, most supermoto's make poor LD rigs. I'd have a Kawasaki Versys 650 very high on the list if I were you. Ideal in town ride, and comfortable enough for some LD stuff. Many have done amazing things with them like ride to Alaska and back, yet many comment on what a supermoto feel they have. Also, cheap enough to leave on the street without worry.

I work at home so commuting everyday is not a concern. I'm really interested mainly in ridability. i suppose I'll have to find a dealer who'll let me test the bike.

Eric

Geez, if I worked from home there I'd never ride a motorcycle around town. From time to time I've worked there for a week at a time in the city and watched the motorcyclists with amazement that they'd brave that insanity. If I lived there, and worked from home, my motorcycle would be my "Get the hell out of the city" ride, and an FJR will do that exceptionally well.
biggrin.png

Somewhere on this forum I've seen commuter bags? Not sure but I think the lids are just a little narrower than the standard, consequently making the bike a little easier to manipulate in tight spots.
Available in Europe and as mentioned, the FJ-09.
For the OP's original question, FJR is too much for the city riding you've described. Keep the Bonne for that, light weight, easier to handle and less damage and easier to pick up when she takes the inevitable nap!

--G

My opinion: the FJR would be a poor choice for NYC commutes. Too big, too top-heavy, too valuable to leave parked on the street or sidewalk. If you buy one, buy it for NYC 'escapes', and park it indoors.

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I commute on my FJR occasionally, but this is Atlanta and I'm riding on freeways with a minimum of four lanes going one direction. Atlanta is also built for automobiles, so there's always maneuvering room for the big-girl FJR.

During the six months I worked in Manhattan, I could not comprehend anyone commuting with any type of private vehicle; I commuted weekly from Boston via Amtrak, and walked or MTA-ed everywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would never get out of second gear.

Commuting around New York? In my opinion, even a vstrom is to damn big and top heavy.

I've owned both and speaking from each experience, belive me, the vstrom is more top heavy than a fjr and it's height makes it a pita at slower speeds. It may be lighter but it does not feel lighter.

You could make anything work but this sounds like Burgman territory to me.

Sounds to me like you may have the bug and are looking for people to talk you into it. I want to talk you into it, too, because all the positives of the FJR can quickly overcome the weight. But the question is about tight traffic NYC driving. I hate it when I end up in busy city traffic on either bike. That would be St Louis or Nashville, TN for me, so not really comparable to NYC. Neither is able to flip around in traffic with ease. I ride a Goldwing on our two up trips and I have to say I would rate it almost equal to my FJR for city driving, not from a 1 to a 5 or let alone 7, but that's my opinion. I should add that I'm 5'10" so the lower center of gravity of my blue hippo is a plus for my short legs.

I hope you can justify the lack of low speed handling so you can take advantage of all the doors the FJR would open up for you.

Not sure why I'm getting all this about communting, since I thought I said I'm not communting. NYC is among the safest cities in the United States and while people do get their bikes ripped off I don't think the FJR is that high on theives list. They tend to go for Ducati's, Street Triples, etc. Going out to a museum, a resturant or a client meeting is what one does with a bike in NYC. Parking on the street is nearly instantaneous rather than a two hour ordeal of search for an on the street space or paying $30 for a garage and better than public transportation if you're going in non rush hours. Yeah, I like the twisties, but I also like what the city has to offer especially if getting there is easy and at least a little bit fun.

A local dealer is having a demo day this Friday and hopefully they'll have an FJR to test ride. Then I can get the bug out of my system one way or another.

I'm thinking of trading in my Bonneville for an FJR. I ride about 85% in the city
Not sure why I'm getting all this about communting...
I dunno, I guess we presumed you were riding 85% of the time in the city.

I hope you find out what you want to find out at the dealer...but the weight difference in your present bike with the FJR is a lot. I love my FJR, but I go everywhere BUT the city on it. Cross country 2 lane touring...not playing bumper tag with taxis.

*snip*A local dealer is having a demo day this Friday and hopefully they'll have an FJR to test ride. Then I can get the bug out of my system one way or another.
If you get a chance, take a Tenere for a ride.

That would be my choice in a big city over the FJR.

Just my opinion... :)

Lots of good input here. Plastic is expensive. I would keep both bikes. Love my fjr, never to be replaced, however, recently acquired a new V-strom 1000 adventure model (on sale with a large discount), bike weighs 502lbs or so and the much lighter weight is really noticeable to me. I think the fjr is about 650+lbs.

Latest posts