Advice on Possible FJR Purchase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A local dealer is having a demo day this Friday and hopefully they'll have an FJR to test ride. Then I can get the bug out of my system one way or another.
You'll love the bike of course. Maybe it will give you a better idea if it fits your needs. Someone on the forums gave me some great advice. Show up early, ask questions and they will think your truly interested in the FJR and show you everything. Then you'll be familiar enough with the bike settings you should be able to play with the suspension, modes and windshield. I didn't think it would matter that much to me but I love the high tech aspect of the Gen III ES. The other part is how balanced the bike was especially when manuevering at parking lot speeds. Enjoy the ride and good luck with your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR is not built or meant to be a round town city slicker. She's a thorough bred that needs to get out and run, and run fast ! To keep her corralled up in the city would be cruel and unusual punishment. She is a "sport tourer" and that is self explanatory. I'd keep the Bonne for your NYC needs.

Man, buy that FJR and ride it for whatever you want. It actually does feel much more nimble when the bags are off. You'll have a blast. You'll have to be careful, but once you're used to the bigger bike, life will be good. Will you drop it? Yup. You'll get over it, eventually. Haha...Sorry, it happens.

Until you said you didn't, I thought you commuted also. Something about daily rides or something that made me think you rode in every day. Since you don't, that's even better.

Have fun, and get ready for some long weekends.

I've used many different types of bikes for basic transportation all of my driving-riding life. Based on my experience, I tend to agree with those who say the FJR is not the best bike for bump-and-grind traffic at low speed. But I don't think it has as much to do with bike weight as with the ergos of rider position. The slightly forward lean with knees hiked high is the killer for me. That position is more ideal for steady state 90 mph on open highway. I don't commute anymore so my FJR is strictly for fun. I shy away from city traffic on it, but I'm not allergic to city riding. It is just something that has to be done from time to time so I buck up and feel the burn.

However, every rider has his/her own physical situation. Some riders can adapt to the ergos on some bikes better than other riders. For this reason, I don't think it is very useful to do what others do. Riding is a very personal activity, and mostly very solitary. If your ass is aching, only you will know it, and if you're methodical in addressing the ergo issues you'll know why it is aching and then be able to address it. Also, a test ride is only going to give the barest idea what the bike is like. Same as, you won't know how good a mattress is until you've slept on it for a couple of months.

Counting down to my test ride tomorrow. I looked at the Fj-09 as someone here suggested and while I like the technoloogy. for me, well, it's an ugly bike. I can't manage two bikes given the lack of a garage so I may just wind up keeping the Bonneville. We'll see. For all the money I'd spend on a new bike, upgrading the brakes, seat, and shocks on the Bonnie is starting to seem like a good deal.

Why is everyone hating on the city? FHR riders don't go to museums or out to dinner with their honeys?

Eric

*snip*Why is everyone hating on the city? FHR riders don't go to museums or out to dinner with their honeys?
Blame Aesop.
smile.png

I'm used to riding wide open twisty backroads where I might meet a car every 30 minutes....

https://www.storyit.com/Classics/Stories/citycountrymouse.htm

*edit* forgot the smilely..

To each his own, but you asked for advice....

Super Tenere....

Counting down to my test ride tomorrow. I looked at the Fj-09 as someone here suggested and while I like the technoloogy. for me, well, it's an ugly bike. I can't manage two bikes given the lack of a garage so I may just wind up keeping the Bonneville. We'll see. For all the money I'd spend on a new bike, upgrading the brakes, seat, and shocks on the Bonnie is starting to seem like a good deal.
Why is everyone hating on the city? FHR riders don't go to museums or out to dinner with their honeys?

Eric
Wouldn't mind the FJ-09 as a 2nd bike maybe. It was rather tall for me but it would do well on the roads I commute on.

I dont think people are hating on the city stuff. They are hating on the moronic cagers who giving there attention to the infotainment system or the cellphone.

Have a feeling that the FJR will captivate you too much.

ericgraig posted: <snipped> Why is everyone hating on the city? FJR riders don't go to museums or out to dinner with their honeys?
Eric
My comment wasn't hating on the city -- although 6 months working in lower Manhattan made me really appreciate Atlanta. Compared to the Bonneville, the FJR is heavier, has a higher center of gravity (I think), and she's got rather wide hips when carrying the hardcases. Not traits one imagines an ideal urban motorcycle would possess.

I ride my FJR into downtown Atlanta a lot: commuting or joyriding from my home 12 miles away in the near-burbs. But downtown Atlanta is different than Manhattan or Brooklyn; we have elbow room in the street and space on the sidewalk to park your bike. Nevertheless, the FJR performs well when buzzing through town.

Where she shines -- brighter than any other bike -- is rolling up I-85 to Charlotte to visit my son and his wife for the weekend, or carrying me to Kingsport and back in a day.

Eric,, I wholeheartedly agree with 'Zilla in his reply. Without bags, the FJR weighs in around 600 lbs. curb wight. It feels lighter due to the excellent engineering applied to her. There is NOT a better all around do any/everything bike on the planet when only one will fit in garage. To get off my FJR would mean I'm giving up motorcycling. It suits me that well. And if you get one, (try and get the Candy Red '14,, as it is the fastest, the best handling, and of course the best looking) ,,, you may well come to that same conclusion. Now go get yourself a real motorcycle and be done with it.

I've own motorcycles all my life, would commute a little here and there....got my FJR...commute every day above freezing. Every day. Love it. The hard bags / luggage is a game changer - love it and the liners. Also the bike is easy to keep clean (vs a v twin cruiser), adjustable windshield and protection.

All that said - I wouldn't know if it would be my first choice for in NYC traffic as a primary use. If I wanted to go around NYC, I'd get a bigger scooter and a hard truck / tail luggage.

I have no issue at all with weight....my last three bikes were R1, then Road Star (1700 vtwin), now FJR. FJR is the bike I never knew I needed to meet all my needs. Small screen luggage off - carves up pretty good and is nice and powerful. All luggage on and the big shield...hundreds of miles a day. More comfortable than either sportbike or cruiser.

I wasn't hating on the city. I absolutely loved my time spent working there. But it was in small doses. Great thing about the city though was the fact that I didn't need a bike or car. And standing there on the sidewalk watching the traffic, I was quite happy to hoof it or catch a ride. Taxi rides, I was torn between looking around like the tourist I was, or keeping my head down and not watching what was going on in traffic as my stress level was through the roof. And that's with me riding in the back seat. I can't imagine driving, let alone riding in that mess.

It's funny though, the attitudes. People do things that would cause a shootout in Texas, and the other drivers honk, yell, make a hand gesture, and then move on. Road rage is a 2 second ordeal and then it's over.