Alaska calling to the imitation zone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, your trip is so amazing and awe inspiring.

It blows me away. You're doing what most of us will only be able to dream about and that's what I'm doing now.

Take care out there in the wilderness and know that your forum brothers are pining to be there ridin.

Love this ride report.

Hi Dave,

Jacquie and I just finished a salmon B-B-Q with chardony (of course) and I said I'm going to call Diane while you clean up to see how Dave is doing. I called when she just walked in the door from her Alaskan cruise with family minus hubby.

She said you were posting your trip on this site. That is why I'm late to the party.

NAFO next. You guys have your cake and eat it too. This is the summer you will be talking about for a long time. :yahoo: I let her know Jacquie and Karen will be joining us in Golden too. We will be meeting up with Ric & Karen in Zion this Sat and take our time going through UT and CO. We might be meeting up with Joseph in Crested Butte on Wed.

When is your ETA in Golden? If you are late, I could arrange to pick Diane up at the Airport.

I'll follow this thread until we head out on the 19th and I'll keep in touch with D. to see how things progress.

You take care and keep the tank topped off. We all are looking forward to your posts and pitures. :dribble:

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 8 Tok To Dawson

And we're off towards th darkness.......

DSC02799.jpg

I can see for miles and miles and miles………

So, The Who must have written song that after driving this highway, it’s called the Top of the World highway and I can see why ! I wish this the day was a little clearer though.

DSC02809.jpg

DSC02817.jpg

It starts of as a great pavement, then turns into dirt after while, for about 30 miles, till you get the “town” of Chicken. Turns out the original settlers couldn’t spell ptarmigan, which were abundant in the area, so Chicken town was born.

DSC02824.jpg

I’d been riding in rain most of the way there, but it seems I was following the tail end of a major system, It rain so hard, so quickly, the locals had never seen so much rain fall that fast in years!

The pic doesn’t do it any justice, I wasn’t pulling the camera out for the deep spots as I was gassing it, there were about ten spots like this, this being an easy one to cross, some were a lot deeper,

I just dropped in and gassed it and held on ! Turns out I was the last vehicle allowed through. They closed the road down. Water kept flowing out of the hills and washed out the road. I found this out the next day talking to the ferry crew, pretty amazing eh? Go V-Strom GO !!

DSC02829.jpg

DSC02831.jpg

So after the washouts there still about fifty miles dirt to Dawson, but first you need to deal with customs at the Canadian border

.Then your in the Yukon baby !!

DSC02837.jpg

Day 8 Tok To Dawson

And we're off towards th darkness.......

DSC02799.jpg

I can see for miles and miles and miles………

So, The Who must have written song that after driving this highway, it’s called the Top of the World highway and I can see why ! I wish this the day was a little clearer though.

DSC02809.jpg

DSC02817.jpg

It starts of as a great pavement, then turns into dirt after while, for about 30 miles, till you get the “town” of Chicken. Turns out the original settlers couldn’t spell ptarmigan, which were abundant in the area, so Chicken town was born.

DSC02824.jpg

I’d been riding in rain most of the way there, but it seems I was following the tail end of a major system, It rain so hard, so quickly, the locals had never seen so much rain fall that fast in years!

The pic doesn’t do it any justice, I wasn’t pulling the camera out for the deep spots as I was gassing it, there were about ten spots like this, this being an easy one to cross, some were a lot deeper,

I just dropped in and gassed it and held on ! Turns out I was the last vehicle allowed through. They closed the road down. Water kept flowing out of the hills and washed out the road. I found this out the next day talking to the ferry crew, pretty amazing eh? Go V-Strom GO !!

DSC02829.jpg

DSC02831.jpg

So after the washouts there still about fifty miles dirt to Dawson, but first you need to deal with customs at the Canadian border

.Then your in the Yukon baby !!

DSC02837.jpg

More amazing views.

DSC02850.jpg

DSC02852.jpg

Fixer upper,,, cheap.. don't mind the 50 below in winter

DSC02843.jpg

Then the ferry crossing to Dawson.

If the Zumo knows we're crossing water, shouldn't it read knots not MPH ?

DSC02862.jpg

Again, I opted for the alternative lifestyle accommodations, ( youth hostel )Cheap !!

DSC02866.jpg

Pic’s like this make me think of Johnny Cash, and the mud and the blood and the beer !

DSC02876.jpg

DSC02875.jpg

Whole town has dirt streets !

DSC02871.jpg

Finally saw some wildlife !!

DSC02879.jpg

Ferry crossing....runs all night

DSC02882.jpg

Dawson from the other side where the riff-raff camp.

DSC02886.jpg

Check out the time! Sun never sets !

DSC02885.jpg

Day 9 Dawson to Johnson’s Crossing

Had to change plans today and was pretty bummed. The weather gods had conspired to screw up the route that was planned. I had planned on visiting the Eskimo town of Inuvik, which was above the Artic circle. Two major goals in two days, but local info advised me the next four days were not suitable for travel on that road. Also a chance it was washed out from some second hand information. It’s 500 mile of clay / dirt / gravel, one way. Major rain headed that way. Bummer !

On the way out of town I rode up to the Dome. Outstanding view of the town and river below. The original settlers started celebrating the summer solstice here on this spot many years ago. It’s still a big event here, in fact dual sport riders take over the town on that day also. There were 140 riders last June.

DSC02899.jpg

DSC02898.jpg

Heavy rain after a couple hours south of Dawson. Wearing an Motocross style helmet’s not too bad, the rains pelting your face, keep you on your game, making you feel alive. Then the hail hits, the bigger than the size of double ought buckshot, hurts like hell, no hiding from it with the angle it’s coming from. You start scrubbing of speed, downshifting fast, ten miles an hour and still getting blasted, trying to hide behind the short windshield, then the asphalt stops and you’ve run into more repaving work. Freshly laid non compacted gravel, three inches thick….get on the gas or dump it right here, right now. So your on the gas, bikes wagging it’s tail, and bar are shaking, gotta stand up to reign in the terror, and immediately it feels as if your face is being blasted by a shotgun, for the next mile and a half. Finally pavement and you pull over to see if that’s water on your face or blood , man I love this stuff don’t you ? Beats work any day !

Finally get to Carmacks, still pouring down, which rules out the backup plan. Carmacks to Ross River, to Watson Lake, all on dirt roads That’s not happening today either.

Little Fox lake

DSC02931.jpg

Kicking up some dust finally in a dry section

DSC02912.jpg

More boring scenery ????

DSC02952.jpg

Wild life count today...no pics...raining

Saw a black bear and her two cubs, another black bear and a fox.

Camped in Johnson’s Crossing.

DSC02954.jpg

Day 10 Johnson’s Crossing to Atlin, to Skagway.

Got up early and packed up as I felt rain was coming. It was. Pulled over after awhile to warm up and eat. Guy at the register tells me ‘bout Atkin, they’re having a music festival, and the road is dirt, all 100 kilometers of it. Silly Canadians, Don’t they know by now most Yanks haven’t got a clue how long that is. And what clown named their currency loonies anyway ? Just wondering.

Off we go to Atlin.

DSC02958.jpg

The original treehuggers

DSC02959.jpg

Turn out it’s an Art and Music festival, place is packed with motor homes ( I think everyone in AK has one) , and wall to wall to wall tents. No thanks, rolled through town, wasn’t much to look at, hit the dirt again.

DSC02962.jpg

Off to Skagway, which wasn’t part of the original plan, but since I’ve picked up 3 or 4 days with Inuvik & Ross river being a wash, might as well.

DSC02969.jpg

DSC02973.jpg

DSC02975.jpg

What a great turn of events, easily the best road and the best scenery to date !! Anyone planning Alaska has to do the coastal towns, easily the best roads and scenery, unless your one of those wimps that hate the twisties !
DSC03032.jpg

I dunno I stopped for a pic here and Julie Roberts and The Sound of Music started playing in my head, I don’t know why ?? Really !! I think I need help.

DSC03035.jpg

Yukon, to British Columbia, to Alaska, all in one day !

DSC03039.jpg

Got the 2nd last room in town as it was booked solid. Four miles dirt to get to The Lodge. Sweet !!

DSC03049.jpg

PS it's raining again !!

Awesome photos! I'm loving this trip, from the rain-free, hail-free comfort of my kitchen table. Is Roberts a married name for Julie Andrews? :) I could just imagine her singing about the Hills Being Alive With The Sound Of Music

Jill

Awesome photos! I'm loving this trip, from the rain-free, hail-free comfort of my kitchen table. Is Roberts a married name for Julie Andrews? :) I could just imagine her singing about the Hills Being Alive With The Sound Of Music
Jill
I was having the same thoughts as Jill, sitting here having my breakfast while reading this installment of your report.

And, Dave, the music is in your head. The rest of us are jealous because the voices only talk to you! :lol:

What a great adventure! We are privileged you share it with us.....

Dave, the pics and adventure are beyond words!! Kudos on a wonderful trip and thanks so much for sharing along the way.

Dave, this is fantastic !! Keep it coming, and please be safe !!

I'm going to PM you my brother's contact info - he lives in North Pole, on the outskirts of Fairbanks. If you need anything when you hit there, you can call him.

Hal

I want to ride IN Alaska, not just tag it and ride home.
Amazing, just amazing. I try to never get jealous but it's the right time to make an exception.

Keep on trucking, while I figure out how to get to Kalifornsky Beach!

" quote" -- Heavy rain after a couple hours south of Dawson. Wearing an Motocross style helmet’s not too bad, the rains pelting your face, keep you on your game, making you feel alive. Then the hail hits, the bigger than the size of double ought buckshot, hurts like hell, no hiding from it with the angle it’s coming from. You start scrubbing of speed, downshifting fast, ten miles an hour and still getting blasted, trying to hide behind the short windshield, then the asphalt stops and you’ve run into more repaving work. Freshly laid non compacted gravel, three inches thick….get on the gas or dump it right here, right now. So your on the gas, bikes wagging it’s tail, and bar are shaking, gotta stand up to reign in the terror, and immediately it feels as if your face is being blasted by a shotgun, for the next mile and a half. Finally pavement and you pull over to see if that’s water on your face or blood , man I love this stuff don’t you ? Beats work any day ! --"quote"

Too cool :clapping: We felt like we were there with you. Great stuff Dave, great stuff.

Rog n Debs