Alaska calling to the imitation zone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC03110.jpg

Beautiful, man. :good:
I agree with Tim......

Hey Dave come see me at the bar when you get to Golden i will buy you a drink or two..

R

Your trip is a dream come true . Nice shot of the bear cub. You may have not seen momma bear but she saw you and I would say you a lot of good karma that day going for you.

On your down from Prince George another great scenic place is the Town of Hope in B.C. on the Frazier River

Enjoy and live your dream keep on ridding

Amazing, Dave!!! Brought tears to my eyes to see the sign for Andrew. What a perfect gesture.

Funny thing is that the maybe the evening before you had "The Sound of Music" going through your head up there (Saturday the 12th?), I actually saw the play in Sacramento Friday night the 11th. I mean, what are the chances of either of those things, much less occurring on the same weekend? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:
DSC03110.jpg

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: [SIZE=36pt]Way to go Dave[/SIZE] :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Wow!!!!!! Dad this is great stuff!! Youve been playin in the mudd and ive been working my butt off. Seems our roles have been reversed. <_<

I love ALL the pics pops, I cant wait to see all of them whem you get back home, you do remember the way BACK DONT YA!?

Oh yeah, nice hat ya brought with ya!! I've been looking for that hat for hat for two years!

So i've been tracking you on the web and I cant believe you made it through Canada in just a couple of days. If you looked at a map, you would say it was insane. Well Dad I love you and keep on your jorney safely. Heres a song for you dad, fire and rain. I was listening to this as I was driving today and I thought of you dad. :D :D

I've seen fire and I've seen rain

I've seen sunny days that i thought would never end

I've seen lonley times when i could not find a friend

But I always thought (know) i'd see you again

James Taylor

Ya know -- that spot tracker thingy is fun. I keep checking back to see where you are, Dave. As I type, it looks you're headed toward the Canada/Montana border (maybe 15 minutes from crossing?). I'm assuming I'll see you go through Glacier Nat'l Park today -- the ONE place I REALLY wanted to see on my now canceled trip to NAFO.

Living vicariously here. Can't wait to see your pictures of GNP, since I had planned to be through there this Sunday in my original itinerary.

This spot thing seems pretty cool however I can only see the last 24 hours unless I leave it up. If I leave it up I can see the last 24 hours from when I opened it and everything since then.

However I want too see the whole trip. especially the Alaska Part. Anyone no how to do this.

I took my family a couple of years ago to GNP then Banff then Jasper then across to Vancouver and Victoria in a travel trailer for a month long trip. It was awesome and I can imagine how great this trip is for you.

Highlander, awesome trip. awesome awesome trip.

Not sure what way you are headed. The 93 through Idaho that goes along the salmon river to the Sawtooth recreation area is a great drive. Beautiful. Stop off and do some salmon river rafting if they are still running.

Also the lake in Montana, Flathead Lake is also beautiful. Made me want to move there just by seeing it. I like water sports but don't like cold water. Not an option. WAY too cold for me.

Day 15 Prince George to Radium Hot Springs

Apex Yamaha Had a new tire, They stopped what they were doing and changed out he tire. Excellent people there !

Took off and headed for Jasper, to check it out. Too posh for me, trendy little stores, turned around and headed out of town.

DSC03309.jpg

Rode the Icefield Parkway, what a scenic route that is. Your riding between two mountain ranges it seems, Beauty on both sides for hours on end. Gotta watch that gas gauge !!

DSC03318.jpg

DSC03319.jpg

DSC03338.jpg

DSC03362.jpg

Decided to take a right when the choice was Banff or Radium hot springs. Headed for Radium, got in after dark, but not before seeing the following wildlife…

Suicidal deer

DSC03360.jpg

Moose, what an poor animal, God hit it with the ugly stick !

DSC03365.jpg

Left Radium and headed back to the USA, no problem crossing back over.

DSC03370.jpg

DSC03381.jpg

DSC03390.jpg

I met another rider from the Adventure Riders forum. I had planned taking what’s known as the Great Divide Trail, basically a. number of connected dirt roads that run from Canada to Mexico. He’d just run it south to north, he was right, it’s tough on a loaded fat pig of a bike like mine After 5 hours and couple missed waypoints, Evil side of the brain said “quit while your ahead “, fun loving side said “ bastard ! “ I bailed and headed for Glacier National Park. Camped for couple of nights here.

But the scenery on the trail……

DSC03403.jpg

DSC03402.jpg

DSC03407.jpg

Amazing - just amazing. I didn't think I ever wanted to visit that part of the world, but I do now. Same thing for riding a dual sport. Perhaps I will go see Andrew's sign some day.

Thanks for taking us along with you vicariously. This must be the most enjoyable bike trip that I haven't been on.

Jill

Day 17 Glacier national park

Never thought a park could equal Yosemite, but Glacier did it.

One of the many landscape shots.........

DSC03430.jpg

DSC03446.jpg

DSC03453.jpg

DSC03433.jpg

Road is supported by the arches

DSC03439.jpg

A slow morning ride snapping pics, but the second half outside the park on the way back to camp was twisty heaven, just happens the route number was 49 !! Finally rode the Wee without all the crap strapped on the back !

Wonder if the 49’s in other states are all smoking’ roads, same as Cali’s ?

DSC03478.jpg

Hmmm, tasty ???

DSC03445.jpg

DSC03443-1.jpg

Day 18 Glacier to Red Lodge

Moving to Montana soon,

Gonna be a dental floss tycoon…

Zappa was just way out there.

Another day to pack in some miles and get to Red Lodge. No stunning pics today, sorry. I took almost every one at 80mph….hey that’s the legal speed limit in this state !!

DSC03510.jpg

The area around Flathead lake was pretty nice, reminded me of Lake Tahoe a little. The 85 around the lake was fair, but a little crowded, this being Sunday.

The road 141, down into Helena, was great, just ignore the guard rails if you can, They’re right at the edge of the road / cliff !! No room for error.

DSC03506.jpg

DSC03519.jpg

DSC03527.jpg

Drove into Red Lodge and almost could not find room, ( too dark to camp ) biggest event of the year….‘The Iron Horse Rodeo “ Chrome and leather everywhere, I won’t bore ya with pics, ‘cause I didn’t take any.

Day 19 Red Lodge to Ranchester

Today was the day to put your game face on. You know what’s ahead, Beartooth Pass, reputed to be one of the best rated roads in the US… and it is ! Turn after turn of the tight technical twisty stuff, hairpin after hairpin, some decreasing radius, a little off camber in places, the roads some of us live for, you know who you are. The run over the pass just clicks, your hammering the front brake, feeling after while your nerve endings on your two brake fingers are directly connected to the front brake pads, you KNOW where that lock up point is. Entry setup up is perfect time after time, no corrections needed all morning .

You feel the mid corner lean, hang off sometimes to keep the hard bags from scraping, cause that always startles you, Power out when you see the exit line and feel the bike stand up. It’s all good, a perfect run, no under-estimating the line, nowhere near crossing the double yellow, no mid corner corrections, all under control, smooth, smooth ride, it doesn’t happen that perfect often. Your over the pass, and realize today is ON, so you turn around and run it the other way again, not often you run a road both ways, but today’s the day.

Then you slow down and take pics on the third run over the pass. I shot so many pics today, here’s just a small sample…………

DSC03547.jpg

DSC03545.jpg

DSC03550.jpg

DSC03565.jpg

DSC03577.jpg

DSC03583.jpg

DSC03593.jpg

Right now the crew I rode to WFO with last year must be kicking their own azz for votng the Bearstooth out !!

How many know that the Bearstooth pass is not really the real Bearstooth pass ? See the Bears tooth in the distance ? The real pass is over there, but who’s hiking ?

DSC03570.jpg

OK I'll zoom in for you old fella's

DSC03567.jpg

Next up is Chief Joseph highway, another highly ranked road, and it is great ride, though not as technical.

DSC03604.jpg

DSC03620.jpg

DSC03607.jpg

DSC03609.jpg

DSC03623.jpg