Alaska calling to the imitation zone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been offline for a while... that was a fantastic read and refresher to my motorcycle dreams. Thanks a ton for the info. It was a pleaseure.

Day 11 Skagway to Watson Lake.

No beautiful destination today, just pack on the miles to get to the start of the Cassiar Highway. Tomorrow should be good !!

Pulled out from the lodge and faced the day.

DSC03054-1.jpg

Yep, we’re going up there !

DSC03059-1.jpg

Almost at the top…..

DSC03064-1.jpg

The Nothing is coming ( only those with kids will get that movie reference )

DSC03068-1.jpg

No Julie ANDREWS this morning, Hobbits n Orcs playing with my head. I hate Orcs !

DSC03071-1.jpg

Sun for few hours…

DSC03081.jpg

This is not looking good…..

DSC03089-1.jpg

It wasn’t, it was the most rain ever to fall on this earth, almost….Blackness for an hour, approaching semi trucks kicking up such water, I was ducking low….felt like I was shooting the tube dude, or whatever it is surfer dudes say.

I had to fill up at the storm’s far edge, ten or so wet HD riders on the other side, looking like a bunch of wet peacocks, all bitching how there leathers were soaked all the way through and they’re freezing their a.. off. Felt bad, I was warm and dry, with my electrics on full blast. Nah not really, stupid is s stupid does, as Gump says..

Loking back at the storm...

DSC03094-1.jpg

Break on through to the other side, break on through,,,,,

DSC03096-1.jpg

Hotel again, as the storms following me.

Dave... The trip is fantastic. I have a very good friend that lives in Williams Lake if you need anything. Send me a PM and I will give you the details. We used to hunt on the Alaskan Hwy up near Pink Mountain each year. Rich

Hey Dave,

For the youngsters out there, who have never hear of JM or the Doorz.. :unsure:

(and I LOVE the music inferences in your post!)

You know the day destroys the night

Night divides the day

Tried to run

Tried to hide

Break on through to the other side

Chased our plea here

Dug our trea there

Still recall

Time we cried

Break on through, yeah!

Wow!

Wow!

Everybody loves my baby

Everybody loves my baby

She get

She get

She get

She get high

She get high. she get high.

The woman get high. the woman get high.

She get high. baby, get high.

The woman get high. she get high.

She get high. baby, so high.

The woman get high. she get high.

Wow!

I found an island in your arms

Country in your eyes

Arms that chain us

Eyes that lie

Break on through, yeah!

All right

Great report, riding that bike with all that gear and how ever much it weighs has got to be a challenge.

Here is a little tip for when you are riding in the rain or hail with your motor cycle helmet on.

Take a piece of plastic that you can bend fairly easy and tape it as an extnsion to the visor section on the helmet. this will help you keep most of the rain off your face and out of your eyes so you can see as well as mud flying up if some one os in front of you.

On those muddy roads standing is the better riding position and squeezing the tank with your knees

enjoy the trip of your life time always ride with a :)

Came in late on this Dave but I'll chime in as the other's have and say what a great ride/report and thanks for including us all in. I know that even though the pics are awesome they can't really do justice to actually being there. What a rugged and at the same time peacefull place. Rock on bro.....keepin it safe. Del. <>< :dribble:

Day 12 Watson Lake to Stewart

The only thing Watson Lake is famous for is the Signpost Forest, Years ago a homesick soldier posted a sign from his home town. Now there are thousands of them from all over the world.

DSC03108.jpg

DSC03109.jpg

I brought my own sign too, little different from the others.

Andrew and I talked quite a bit about making the trip up here. Never happened in this world, but I hope he’s riding along this morning. Ride on bro’

Lyrics by the Grateful Dead

.Ripple in still water,

When there is no pebble tossed,

Nor wind to blow.

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,

If your cup is full may it be again,

Let it be known there is a fountain,

That was not made by the hands of men.

There is a road, no simple highway,

Between the dawn and the dark of night,

And if you go no one may follow,

That path is for your steps alone

DSC03110.jpg

The Cassiar highway is simply amazing, it winds through a fairly remote section of BC, but unfortunately ( depending on your views ) more and more of it is being paved.. By this time next year I ‘d bet 90 percent will be paved, which ruins the whole wilderness aspect to it. I wish I ridden it a few years ago before civilization paved it over. It has it all, a few sections of dirt / packed dirt / gravel / road construction ( HD biffed it yesterday and broke his wrist,,,bummer ), broken pavement / super smooth pavement / fresh oil…it has it all.. Mountain views, wildlife, rivers, lakes…I let the pics speak for themselves…..

Some of this....

DSC03116.jpg

Some of that....

DSC03124.jpg

How far till we turn ?

DSC03127.jpg

DSC03138.jpg

DSC03146.jpg

DSC03154.jpg

DSC03155.jpg

DSC03162.jpg

So I’m filling up with gas on the Cassiar, and the bills $24, and I’m thinking that’s the most I’ve paid so far, what a rip-off…. felt gouged. Then I see the guy at the other side of me, his meter is at $945 and still going, filling the belly of his great beast. I didn’t feel bad anymore ! I left wondering what happens to a pump when it hits $999,99 ?

Taking a break in Stewart for couple of days, probably visit Hyder tomorrow, which is only 52 kilometers away eh !

Day 13 Rest day in Stewart, with a side trip to Hyder.

I guess the US isn’t worried about any Canadian illegals sneaking across the border, as there is no customs office when entering the USA, but there is one leaving Hyder and getting back into Canada. I wonder how this sliver of land ended up US instead of Canadian ?

I say old chum, any Hickleys or Grand Banks at the dock ?

DSC03238.jpg

Downtown Hyder. Wonder what the speed limit is ?

DSC03176.jpg

Somehow I’m thinking there’s no stained glass, gold candlesticks, or ornate painted ceiling in this house of worship. Does the Vatican have a grant program ?

DSC03237.jpg

The main reason to visit this area is the Salmon Glacier and bears. The road up to the top isugly, your doing the pothole shimmie and shake all the way up. If there’s anything thinking about being loose, it will be by the time you come back down!

DSC03201.jpg

The view from the top is simply breathtaking, like the feeling you get when you see the Grand Canyon for the first time. Taking of my helmet at the top and hearing the shrill, piercing, scream of a hawk just added to the moment. No-one else around, solitude at it’s finest. Just you, the wind, the mountain.

DSC03203.jpg

DSC03205.jpg

DSC03210.jpg

DSC03218.jpg

There is supposed to be a high density of bears in the area, so my eyes are open.

This one ?

DSC03188.jpg

Bear food.

DSC03229.jpg

Every guy likes a beaver shot eh ?

DSC03246.jpg

Only bear of the day and I went looking ! He was moving fast…sick of posing for tourists I guess.

DSC03243.jpg

I brought my own sign too, little different from the others.Andrew and I talked quite a bit about making the trip up here. Never happened in this world, but I hope he's riding along this morning. Ride on bro'

Lyrics by the Grateful Dead

.Ripple in still water,

When there is no pebble tossed,

Nor wind to blow.

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,

If your cup is full may it be again,

Let it be known there is a fountain,

That was not made by the hands of men.

There is a road, no simple highway,

Between the dawn and the dark of night,

And if you go no one may follow,

That path is for your steps alone

DSC03110.jpg
Very Nice Dave. Wonderful sign and very fitting. I hope that many of us get to see it in person in the years to come.

Day 14 Stewart to Prince George

Left Stewart in a kind of a funky mood. I’d come to Bear Capital B.C. \ AK, and saw very few bears. Rode through Hyder four times, visited the bear viewing station, even went on road patrol….one bear only. I’d passed three bears coming in the night before and figured the place is crawling with them, I’d get pics in the AM. Broke my golden rule for the trip, which is never, ever, pass up a photo op, even if I have to turn around ( again ). Came upon a convoy of motor homes after an hour or so, first vehicles I’d seen this AM, twisted the wrist and the world was right again

So I've been tryin' to slow it down

I've been tryin' to take it in

In this here today, gone tomorrow world we're livin' in

Don't Blink

Lyrics by Kenny Chesney

Bear glacier on the outside of Steward.

DSC03247.jpg

DSC03248.jpg

Couple hours later saw this little guy, never saw mom though.

DSC03257.jpg

Trees and farmland all the way to Prince George.

DSC03263.jpg

DSC03269.jpg

DSC03281.jpg

Ok I got tired of shooting green all the time and stopped for a little color.

DSC03253.jpg

Mosquito collection !! Don't be jealous !!

DSC03278.jpg

Wonder how many stories were told around the fireplace here? How many generations were born, how many were lost ? Broken dreams or fulfilled goals ?

DSC03273.jpg

Never rained on me all day, it’s a first! Right now , thunder and lightning ,and the hotel power just went out, Bwahahaha , I don’t care !

DSC03287.jpg

Need to find a new rear tire tomorrow, the brand new TKC never made it back to the States, I’m about to be raped on tire pricing, I feel for you Canadian brothers, first call was $280, without mounting, and it was the wrong size !

Dave, as I look through your pictures I keep thinking, "Every scenic picture is a postcard!" What a beautiful place. You are going to have quite a "let down" from your visual "high"....and then there's getting used to people, again......

This has betn a fantastic story, keep it coming.

SEE.......told you I'd be glued to this computer waiting on the next post. Very nice touch with the tribute to Andrew.

Very Beautiful......indeed. Keep it coming and enjoy.

Be careful...ride safe.