Another F***ing ignition failure on an '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That absolutely SUCKS!!!! But look at the bright side buddy: it could have been in the middle of a curve, and you wouldn't be typing this. Honestly, that's a big time safety issue IMO, and worthy of a recall. I'd take the time to report that to the NHTSB.
I hope the surging is the only issue we have with our '07s..

JC
Hmmm... My '05 sure is lookin' better all the time. And that so-called heat problem ain't lookin' so bad either....

Sorry you got stranded. That's a huge hassel that no one deserves on a vacation.

Jb

Well, I finally got back home a few minutes ago. The dealer picked up my bike on Tuesday afternoon, ordered a new ignition switch on Wed. morning and had it overnighted to them and then replaced the switch and harness on Thursday. It turns out the wire was loose inside the switch itself. They were able to also get the ignition switch directly from Yamaha with the same tumbler as the old one so I can still use my same key. I can't say enough about the dealership and will write up a report when I have a little more time. One thing also....evidently when hotwiring the bike it fryed a relay which is connected to the kickstand switch somehow and that part they weren't able to get in time, so right now the bike has to be in neutral and the kickstand has to be up in order to start it. I'll let you know which relay it is tomorrow sometime after I get my proverbial shit together.

Good evening everyone. Well, several months ago I clipped the tie on my ignition wiring to loosen and then put another tie back on it, as suggested. Today, myself and 4 other buddies from work took the day off and went on an all day ride. We are on our way home and we make one last stop. After setting for a few minutes, I go turn the key on to check the time and nothing happens. I try again......nothing. I'm thinking....Ohhhhhhhh CHIT!!!!

I expain to my fellow riders about the switch failure, one of them owning an 07 FJR and hadn't heard about the switch deal. We are only about 40 miles from home. I give it a minute and go back and try again. This time I giggle the key a little and it powers up. I start the bike and I say to the guys, let's go, NOW! I was able to get it home.

After getting home, I turn the bike off and on probably 5 times and it powers up fine. So I clip the tie off again and I'm just going to leave it untied. I moved the wiring around quite a bit and it didn't come out and it seems to be secured going into the switch casing. I'm wondering, was this a fluke? I don't know what to do because I have another ride I'm suppose to go on this Sunday, going to the Motorcycle Drags in Indy with two buds. I know I probably shouldn't go and just order me a new switch on Monday and let the bike sit. Actually, I'll probably not go.

I'm pretty convinced now that if you have clipped and retied your switch wiring, it doesn't mean you won't have a failure. I thought by doing my bike that I wouldn't have to worry about it. Here I am and it really SUCKS! I hope Mama Yamaha is reading all these failures and issues yet another recall on this bike.

HAS ANYONE REPLACED THE SWITCH THEMSELVES AND NOT HAD THE DEALER DO IT???

Good evening everyone. Well, several months ago I clipped the tie on my ignition wiring to loosen and then put another tie back on it, as suggested. Today, myself and 4 other buddies from work took the day off and went on an all day ride. We are on our way home and we make one last stop. After setting for a few minutes, I go turn the key on to check the time and nothing happens. I try again......nothing. I'm thinking....Ohhhhhhhh CHIT!!!!
I expain to my fellow riders about the switch failure, one of them owning an 07 FJR and hadn't heard about the switch deal. We are only about 40 miles from home. I give it a minute and go back and try again. This time I giggle the key a little and it powers up. I start the bike and I say to the guys, let's go, NOW! I was able to get it home.

After getting home, I turn the bike off and on probably 5 times and it powers up fine. So I clip the tie off again and I'm just going to leave it untied. I moved the wiring around quite a bit and it didn't come out and it seems to be secured going into the switch casing. I'm wondering, was this a fluke? I don't know what to do because I have another ride I'm suppose to go on this Sunday, going to the Motorcycle Drags in Indy with two buds. I know I probably shouldn't go and just order me a new switch on Monday and let the bike sit. Actually, I'll probably not go.

I'm pretty convinced now that if you have clipped and retied your switch wiring, it doesn't mean you won't have a failure. I thought by doing my bike that I wouldn't have to worry about it. Here I am and it really SUCKS! I hope Mama Yamaha is reading all these failures and issues yet another recall on this bike.

IMHO I would not trust that switch. Contact your dealer ASAP, if he can replace before your trip, good. If not, carry your own 'hot wire' kit and enjoy the ride. If it fails, all you have to do is bypass the switch entirely. The bigger wires carry the current for the system, the smaller wires are for an interlock system IIRC. After my failure I now carry a small pair of dykes/crimper combo, 6 male plugs and 6 matching females. Only 2 are needed, but sometimes I fook them up so I carry spares.
BTW - contact the DOT and register your complaint. It's the only way Yamaha will respond.

EDIT - found this post by a fella that fixed his own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to disagree with my candy-assed friend. One experience like smokeFJR06 had does not a bad ignition switch make.

As I documented earlier in one of these ignition switch threads, twice I have had a switch problem where the bike was dead. Both times, after cycling the switch on and off numerous times (50+), everything eventually lit back up again. It happend once at about 6X,XXX miles, and again at about 8X,XXX miles. I am now at 110,000 miles with the same, original switch and everything is fine. My *SWAG* is dirt in the switch for my problems. I believe FJRay documented a similar case on his way home from WFO.

No doubt the problems with the ignition switch are real for some owners and that concerns me personally, but I say that sample is still quite small. Don't let the real and actual problems a relatively small amount experience lead to 'ignition swithch hysteria'.

From what I have read, when the switch goes, it goes. Period. How many of the current problems could have been identical to mine, but instead of finding the root cause - perhaps a dirty switch, instead they were immediately take to the average num-nuts dealer where the switch was replaced without finding the root cause of the problem? Something to ponder.

A one off tempermental switch could simply be a case of a dirty switch. And surely not justification for NHTSA complaint.

I mean, did anyone else see what dcarver was wearing at WFO? Need I say anymore? :D

I am going to disagree with my candy-assed friend. One experience like smokeFJR06 had does not a bad ignition switch make.
As I documented earlier in one of these ignition switch threads, twice I have had a switch problem where the bike was dead. Both times, after cycling the switch on and off numerous times (50+), everything eventually lit back up again. It happend once at about 6X,XXX miles, and again at about 8X,XXX miles. I am now at 110,000 miles with the same, original switch and everything is fine. My *SWAG* is dirt in the switch for my problems. I believe FJRay documented a similar case on his way home from WFO.

No doubt the problems with the ignition switch are real for some owners and that concerns me personally, but I say that sample is still quite small. Don't let the real and actual problems a relatively small amount experience lead to 'ignition swithch hysteria'.

From what I have read, when the switch goes, it goes. Period. How many of the current problems could have been identical to mine, but instead of finding the root cause - perhaps a dirty switch, instead they were immediately take to the average num-nuts dealer where the switch was replaced without finding the root cause of the problem? Something to ponder.

A one off tempermental switch could simply be a case of a dirty switch. And surely not justification for NHTSA complaint.

I mean, did anyone else see what dcarver was wearing at WFO? Need I say anymore? :D
Ahh, but Skooter da G, if the switch suddenly 'opens' when passing 12 cars, whether it be 'dirty' or 'failed', and your power goes to zippo, nada, squelch, are you going to have time to cycle the SOB 50 times or just have the time to say a quick prayer? This is a real problem IMHO,and well worthy of a DOT investigation. Let's not wait until one of us gets killed to fix it. :unsure:

Ahh, but Skooter da G, if the switch suddenly 'opens' when passing 12 cars, whether it be 'dirty' or 'failed', and your power goes to zippo, nada, squelch, are you going to have time to cycle the SOB 50 times or just have the time to say a quick prayer? This is a real problem IMHO,and well worthy of a DOT investigation. Let's not wait until one of us gets killed to fix it. :unsure:
Ack!!! Au contraire mon ami!!!

I did not say it was not a real problem. To the contrary, I specifically said it is a real problem for some, and one that does concern me.

Your caught up in your own ignition switch hysteria my clothing challenged friend. :p

A switch cutting off during operation is a FREAKING HUGE PROBLEM. One with very serious safety overtones. So tell me, have you heard of one switch that has failed during operation that then ever started again? I didn't think so. Obviously a completely different root cause that well deserves NHTSA's attention. But don't muddy the waters, or water down the legitimate complaints by grouping ALL igntion switch anomalies under the same umbrella. IOW, don't jump to conlcusions on switch failures based on all the airtime they get on this forum. If a problem is encountered, DETERMINE THE ROOT CAUSE, and proceed appropriately.

Ack!!! Au contraire mon ami!!!

I did not say it was not a real problem. To the contrary, I specifically said it is a real problem for some, and one that does concern me.

Your caught up in your own ignition switch hysteria my clothing challenged friend. :p

A switch cutting off during operation is a FREAKING HUGE PROBLEM. One with very serious safety overtones. So tell me, have you heard of one switch that has failed during operation that then ever started again? I didn't think so. Obviously a completely different root cause that well deserves NHTSA's attention. But don't muddy the waters, or water down the legitimate complaints by grouping ALL igntion switch anomalies under the same umbrella. IOW, don't jump to conlcusions on switch failures based on all the airtime they get on this forum. If a problem is encountered, DETERMINE THE ROOT CAUSE, and proceed appropriately.
"So tell me, have you heard of one switch that has failed during operation that then ever started again? I didn't think so."

Uh, yeah, mine! I was in a corner on Wildrose road in Death Valley when all power died. I've not read all the threads to determine if anyone but me was left dead in the water while underway, but then again, any open, caused by outright mechancial failure or dirt, or whatever, is unacceptable. Perhaps this time it occurred while static at the gas station, or Aunt Ermas driveway.. but next time it could very well be while you need igntition to make the pass, handle the curve, avoid the danger.

I understand your point SG, but then again.. even if it leaves you stranded in the garage, at the gas station, or whatever.. is that really acceptable? Oh, by the way, did you mean to say that it 'never started again'? I mean,like jeesh dude, sure mine started again.. AFTER I bypassed the freakin' dead ignition switch! :unsure: Did you expect me to stay in the dark cold night of Death Valley in my Hawaiin gear? :rolleyes:

I do get the not going to a hysteria mode.. but this is, in IMHO, a real problem, one that can lead to injury. Sorry to disagree with ya Skooter G, well, honestly, I'm not sorry at all to disagree with ya.. :rolleyes:

We just see this differently.

And... geesh dude, I thought double Hawaiin prints were in vogue.. :unsure:

IMHO I would not trust that switch. Contact your dealer ASAP, if he can replace before your trip, good. If not, carry your own 'hot wire' kit and enjoy the ride. If it fails, all you have to do is bypass the switch entirely. The bigger wires carry the current for the system, the smaller wires are for an interlock system IIRC. After my failure I now carry a small pair of dykes/crimper combo, 6 male plugs and 6 matching females. Only 2 are needed, but sometimes I fook them up so I carry spares.
BTW - contact the DOT and register your complaint. It's the only way Yamaha will respond.

EDIT - found this post by a fella that fixed his own.
What are the "hot wiring instructions"? I'm leaving next Saturday for a (2) week solo trip to Nova Scotia..............better educate myself now!

Thanks.

Axeman....it SUCKS your trip got interrupted like that but at least you found a dealer who could help you. Also glad Yamaha helped out. After hearing all this trouble with the 06 and 07 switches I'm going to keep my 04 a while longer. No big problems so far (knock wood). :yahoo:

Tom

I don't want to come beween friends,and yes curd can be a problem, but my switch falsed a couple of times weeks, month before final failure. I even had the dealer check it out and of course it would not malfuction for them. The dealer cleaned and checked what they could, a month later hard failure.

If the connection(s) inside the switch has been stressed it's not going to get any better.

Smoke get thee over to Sportland, even if they can't find anything this time at lest you'll have it on the record. ;)

Neither Yamaha or the dealer had any issue at all about doing these repairs under warranity,

Mine failed accelerating up a hill with a cage right on my ass. Just by luck there was a clear area off the shoulder of the road that I pulled the bike into but I was beginning to have visions of being ass ended. After much jiggling and cajoling of the wiring I was able to get the bike fired up long enough to pull it up the road and across the street into the snowmobile shop. Once the bike was hotwired I could get it to turn over but it wouldn't start. Of course I never bothered to take it off the kickstand when attempting to crank it and after the Yamaha shop got it, they found that the "starter interlock relay" was shot so the bike would only have started with the kickstand up and with the bike in neutral.

I agree with Carver that this is a big deal and needs to be addressed. I also thought it was interesting that after North Country Powersports contacted Yamaha tech directly and told them what the problem was that they authorized them to drive 60 miles to pick up the bike and rider. Seems to me this indicates that they know there is some sort of issue or they wouldn't have been so quick to pick up the tab. Whether this new switch is the same or "new and improved" I guess remains to be seen.

If I had broken down 25 miles sooner I would ended up here....no cell phone service, no sign of humans anywhere....but it sure is pretty...miles and miles and miles of pretty.

DSCF2515-1.jpg

Axeman....it SUCKS your trip got interrupted like that but at least you found a dealer who could help you. Also glad Yamaha helped out. After hearing all this trouble with the 06 and 07 switches I'm going to keep my 04 a while longer. No big problems so far (knock wood). :yahoo:
Tom
Hey Airboss, good to hear from you. I hate taking it to the stealer only to have them tell me they didn't find anything. That's how my luck runs. I always have to wait until it breaks, same on my cars. Anyhow, I just thought I would order a new switch and repace it, be done with it sort of thing. My warranty is out. No, I don't have Y.E.S. That's why I was inquiring about doing it myself.

Sounds like my case is like what happened to you. I think this was a warning sign possibly of what is to come......total failure. I've got two trips coming up that I no way want this to happen on. So, guess I will make the call. I just hope that this isn't like every other Yamaha part....it's not backordered for a month.

Again.....This SUCKS!!!

dcarver, thanks for link. I'll check it out.

My '07 was tight too, but not overly tight IMO; the good news is I only have 411 miles on the clock. It's important to have the wires secured to prevent wiggling, but not that tight. You don't need much slack, but I had to give it enough to prevent the new tie wrap from 'falling' into the deep groove left by the factory one. The good news is the harness has plenty of slack, so an extra 1/8" was nothing. As long as the wires are not under tension inside the switch, all should be good... if that's the only potential problem, that is.

In my opinion, tension alone doesn't make the switch fail, but with vibration and heat, it eventually fails. And the more heat and/or vibration, the sooner it happens. Take care gang.

JC

Good afternoon all. I just got off the phone with my local Shop Service Manager. He's a great guy and knows his stuff. I had called him and explained what happened to me last Friday. I told him what had been reported on this Forum. This dealer doesn't sell many FJR's....okay, they've had like two in their shop the last two years which I don't understand. So, I didn't expect him to know what I was talking about concerning the reported switch failure, and he didn't.

He said he would call his Yamaha RTA (Regional Technical Advisor) and talk to him about it. He did and the RTA said he wasn't aware of any issue with the switch. The RTA also looked into the Data Base to see how many switches they had sold on the 06 and 07 and there have been 12 total sold in the USA. Now that would include all orders warranty or not. 12 people really surprised me. That's even bikes that were wrecked and such. So, according to Yamaha, this is not an issue.

I'm going home tonight and check a couple of other things. I had checked the battery connections. The service manager mentioned to check the main fuse and make sure there wasn't a loose connection or corrosion. I think I'll take a closer look at the switch wiring too and see if I can wiggle it more and get it screw up again. If I don't find anything, I'll probably go ahead and get another switch and replace it. If I can't pinpoint the issue, I won't feel very comfortable leaving the house on the bike. The cost is $160 for the switch and he said probably an hour or so worth of labor. I'm figuring somewhere around $250 for the whole job.

Just thought I would let everyone know what the RTA said from Yamaha and see if you are as surprised as I was. Seems like there are more than 12 people on the forum that's had the failure and I'm sure there may be some that isn't reported on this forum.

Anyhow, any other thoughts are welcomed.

Smoke

Well I must be one of that "dubious" group of 12 :huh:

My switch was replaced under warranty about 3 weeks ago.

My switch was replaced under warranty as well last Friday and Yamaha helped pay for the some of the labor as well. The dealer gave me the switch back and I had to see what went wrong. I dug into the switch and sure enough, the power wire pulled away from it's soldered contact.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/cal...cs/IMG_0632.jpg

My switch was replaced under warranty as well last Friday and Yamaha helped pay for the some of the labor as well. The dealer gave me the switch back and I had to see what went wrong. I dug into the switch and sure enough, the power wire pulled away from it's soldered contact.
Nice... Do I smell a recall a brewin?

Then again, it appears that those who have had the TPS replaced haven't seemed to have a whole lot of success or satisfaction with that :/

Was it Avon that said... "The internet and user forums only contain those with complaints and problems, it does not represent a real world sample of our customers or the problems that we have or don't have" or some shit like that... :unsure:

Calabash, looking at your picture, is that the wiring harness that goes into the bottom of the switch? Did they replace your wiring harness also? I'm curious if you could take the switch apart and resolder the contact if that's the problem and be good then?

Tonight, I went out to the bike and twisted, pulled, wiggled the wiring harness going into the switch. I could not get the switch to fail at all. Does anyone know if there is a clamp or something inside the bottom part of the switch holding the wiring harness tight so it can't be pulled out? I've turned the key on and off probably 50 times or more and can't get the darn thing to fail. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I probably should just replace the thing and be done with it. I wonder, has anyone had a replacement switch fail?

Paranoid one...... :dribble:

Status
Not open for further replies.