Another F***ing ignition failure on an '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I must be one of that "dubious" group of 12 :huh:
My switch was replaced under warranty about 3 weeks ago.

My switch was replaced under warranty as well last Friday and Yamaha helped pay for the some of the labor as well. The dealer gave me the switch back and I had to see what went wrong. I dug into the switch and sure enough, the power wire pulled away from it's soldered contact.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/cal...cs/IMG_0632.jpg
Calabash, looking at your picture, is that the wiring harness that goes into the bottom of the switch? Did they replace your wiring harness also? I'm curious if you could take the switch apart and resolder the contact if that's the problem and be good then?

Tonight, I went out to the bike and twisted, pulled, wiggled the wiring harness going into the switch. I could not get the switch to fail at all. Does anyone know if there is a clamp or something inside the bottom part of the switch holding the wiring harness tight so it can't be pulled out? I've turned the key on and off probably 50 times or more and can't get the darn thing to fail. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I probably should just replace the thing and be done with it. I wonder, has anyone had a replacement switch fail?

Paranoid one...... :dribble:

Yes, it's the wiring harness, when I got the bad switch and wiring harness I saw the red power wire going into the switch, I pulled on the red wire and it came right out of the switch. I tore into the switch to see exactly how the wire came apart, it looks like the soldered end of the wire was pulled loose. All the other soldered wires were intact. Taking the switch apart means drilling out the two screws holding the switch together, it could be done with a lot of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I must be one of that "dubious" group of 12 :huh:
My switch was replaced under warranty about 3 weeks ago.

My switch was replaced under warranty as well last Friday and Yamaha helped pay for the some of the labor as well. The dealer gave me the switch back and I had to see what went wrong. I dug into the switch and sure enough, the power wire pulled away from it's soldered contact.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/cal...cs/IMG_0632.jpg
Calabash, looking at your picture, is that the wiring harness that goes into the bottom of the switch? Did they replace your wiring harness also? I'm curious if you could take the switch apart and resolder the contact if that's the problem and be good then?

Tonight, I went out to the bike and twisted, pulled, wiggled the wiring harness going into the switch. I could not get the switch to fail at all. Does anyone know if there is a clamp or something inside the bottom part of the switch holding the wiring harness tight so it can't be pulled out? I've turned the key on and off probably 50 times or more and can't get the darn thing to fail. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I probably should just replace the thing and be done with it. I wonder, has anyone had a replacement switch fail?

Paranoid one...... :dribble:

Yes, it's the wiring harness, when I got the bad switch and wiring harness I saw the red power wire going into the switch, I pulled on the red wire and it came right out of the switch. I tore into the switch to see exactly how the wire came apart, it looks like the soldered end of the wire was pulled loose. All the other soldered wires were intact. Taking the switch apart means drilling out the two screws holding the switch together, it could be done with a lot of work.
I'm a little confused which doesn't take much. Did the new switch come with the wiring harness already wired to it? Or, is there some kind of quick disconnect between the switch and the harness?

I'm a little confused which doesn't take much. Did the new switch come with the wiring harness already wired to it? Or, is there some kind of quick disconnect between the switch and the harness?
The ignition switch comes with wires already soldered to the switch and the ends of the wires terminate in connectors that plug into the motorcycle harness.

The ignition switch comes with wires already soldered to the switch and the ends of the wires terminate in connectors that plug into the motorcycle harness.
Thanks! I'm getting my switch replaced next Friday (17th). I can't wait to tear into the old switch to have a look see.

Axe,

Sorry to hear that you got stranded. It sucks that you had to waste some of those precious vacation days waiting for parts. As you said. we FJR riders ride in some remote and desolate places and I'm glad that you were near a place that was willing and able to help you out.

Would it solve the problem if someone were to build a short extension cable with a connector at both ends to work as an extension to the existing cable from the switch?

Well Chris, Sorry you had an issue like this and let alone while rolling along with a cage on your 6....

Glad you were able to get it resolved and even better that you found a diamond in the rough of a dealer, that is not too far from you.... That would have sucked if you have a failure in that spot...

glad you are back home....

I went out and examined my new 2007 and was pleased to find no wire ties at all and a lot of slack in wires and a dog leg under the switch.

I also seem to be outside of the altitude problem vin numbers which is great too. This is my first Yamaha and I am very pleased at the speed they are correcting issues. We waited years for some things on the GL1800 wing when it first came out in 2001.

Thanks! I'm getting my switch replaced next Friday (17th). I can't wait to tear into the old switch to have a look see.

I finally got a chance to tear into the old switch. I was affraid of this...... I did not find anything visibly wrong with the switch. All wiring soldered contacts were intact and there were no kinks, tears or the like with the wiring harness. I'm just hoping there was something within the upper housing or a connector, or something that was causing my problem. I don't have a real warm and fuzzy feeling though. Guess time will tell. :unsure:

Well, I guess I can be added to the list of failures also.

My question is: Did everyone end up with two keys? (one for ignition? One for bags / gas cap?) Or was the dealer able to get you set up either with re-keying locks or an ignition switch for your existing key?

I'm getting about three different stories so far on this issue, and I really don't want two keys for the bike for more than one reason. My dealer service guy said to tell parts to get a complete lock set for the bike. The parts guy says there are no lock sets, but the tumblers come out of the switch and are replaced with existing tumblers. Another dealer tells me that can't be done with the new switches and you will end up with two keys.

Yamaha customer service says the new switch key will be different, but they will pay for a sub contracted locksmith to redo the other locks on the bike to fit the ignition. Only, what about the gas cap?? Can a locksmith redo it?

I've gotten about three or four different scenarios as to what will happen in this case of ignition switch replacement... just what has everyone here's experience been in this regard?

My question is: Did everyone end up with two keys? just what has everyone here's experience been in this regard?
I ended up with two keys, put a small wire tie on one key to tell the difference.

My question is: Did everyone end up with two keys? (one for ignition? One for bags / gas cap?) Or was the dealer able to get you set up either with re-keying locks or an ignition switch for your existing key?

I'm getting about three different stories so far on this issue, and I really don't want two keys for the bike for more than one reason. My dealer service guy said to tell parts to get a complete lock set for the bike. The parts guy says there are no lock sets, but the tumblers come out of the switch and are replaced with existing tumblers. Another dealer tells me that can't be done with the new switches and you will end up with two keys.

Yamaha customer service says the new switch key will be different, but they will pay for a sub contracted locksmith to redo the other locks on the bike to fit the ignition. Only, what about the gas cap?? Can a locksmith redo it?

I've gotten about three or four different scenarios as to what will happen in this case of ignition switch replacement... just what has everyone here's experience been in this regard?
Sorry to hear your misfortune. I ended up with two keys. Dealer said no other way to do it. I didn't fight it. I took the new switch key and with a silver Sharpie, I colored in the four circles on the black portion of the key. Very easy to tell them apart. It's not my preference, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.