Anyone replace frt rotors on a gen2 lately?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not2shabby

Reaction score
Measured my rotors last nite with a micrometer and I'm at the point of replacement...crap.

Looking around on the interwebs today I came down with a case of sticker shock. :blink:

Measured my rotors last nite with a micrometer and I'm at the point of replacement...crap.

Looking around on the interwebs today I came down with a case of sticker shock. :blink:
Yeah,

It's gonna hurt a little for a set. Depending on the replacement pads they can go pretty quick.

Dave

Wow. How many miles do you have? What is minimum spec? What do yours measure?

I am pretty sure the spec was wrong in one year of the Service Manual, but I think that was Gen I. I think it is weird that I am seeing occasional reports of this. I put over 100,000 miles on two sets of front rotors.

I've got a little over 40k now and replaced the stock pads at about 30k with Carbonne Lorraine SBK pads. I didn't measure the rotors at the time so I don’t know if the new pads are to blame or not. According to what I found on the web the rotors are 4.5mm to begin with and should be replaced at 4.0mm. Seems to me that's not a lot of wear, but I guess they're not very thick to begin with.

I've got a little over 40k now and replaced the stock pads at about 30k with Carbonne Lorraine SBK pads. I didn't measure the rotors at the time so I don’t know if the new pads are to blame or not. According to what I found on the web the rotors are 4.5mm to begin with and should be replaced at 4.0mm. Seems to me that's not a lot of wear, but I guess they're not very thick to begin with.

Oops, didn't mean to double post, I'm using the Droid. I was trying to add that I'm half tempted to try a set of the chinese wave rotors on fleabay for a couple hundred. Any thoughts on that?

Oops, didn't mean to double post, I'm using the Droid. I was trying to add that I'm half tempted to try a set of the chinese wave rotors on fleabay for a couple hundred. Any thoughts on that?
That would be my last choice! If you have to go cheap then go EBC rotors and EBC pads they recommend and have at them. Then go OEM pads when the EBC goes. I know EBC gets a knock on pad evaporation, and they do, did however the rotor I ran of theirs was fine for sure. I did it on my BMW K1200 LT to get rid of brake rotor rattle and squeal. It had 36,000 miles when I totaled it and at 10,000 at best, with the pads EBC sent, I replaced them with OEM BMW pads and the rotors were fine the last 24,000 or so miles.

I just would not trust rotor material, where I clearly do not know where the metal has come from. Maybe just me, but brakes in working order and that you can trust is rule number one in my book.

I would think the best are CAD cut, and the cheaper drilled. Think about all those holes in that rotor, and the potential number of possible fractures from inferior metal composition and poorly machined brake rotors. Just cant see risking your life to it. How about those rotor buttons, where were they made, and what is that metal, and assembly like?

Your bike your priority's, but think of all those you may affect if you loose a brake rotor and something happens to you? Maybe go in stages new OEM or quality rotor and pads and then in a bit maybe just new OEM pads on the front? Limp along and then get your new front rotors one at a time as you can? I just have an aversion to cheap rotor's, have seen one shatter on a car, on a bike a lot more chance of getting hurt.

Hmmm, I did consider that, but some of the adds say they're ISO 2009 mfg, use high grade SS and T7071 aluminum carriers, blah, blah, etc. But coming from China...ya just don't know! I think I'll keep an eye out for someone parting out a low milage totaled FJR w/o front end damage. Maybe I'll find one before monkeys fly outa my butt! :rolleyes:

I bought a Chinese 5hp motor that looked just like a Honda motor. It did run but wasn't near the quality of a Honda. Just spent 350 to replace that pos chinese crap. You get what you pay for...

Better do a search here on how to remove the bolts holding the rotor to the wheel, they are just a tad bit tight :eek:

Yeah... I have to agree with the above posts. I don't think I'd scrimp on your braking system. Especially because 70% of your stopping power comes from the front system. I think you're on the right track with used OEM parts. I see parted out fjr's all the time on eBay. I'd go that route first. I know the OEM rotors and pads are expensive. I just installed FZ1 mirrors I ordered from PartShark.com at about a 30% discount. How does their 30% off retail price for OEM compare to the price of high quality aftermarket like EBC or Galfer waves? Not sure but it may be worth a try.

I bought a Chinese 5hp motor that looked just like a Honda motor. It did run but wasn't near the quality of a Honda. Just spent 350 to replace that pos chinese crap. You get what you pay for...

Better do a search here on how to remove the bolts holding the rotor to the wheel, they are just a tad bit tight :eek:
Heat em up a little? Do they use red locktite?

Heat em up a little LOT? Do they use red locktite?
Yes and Yes. :D

I'd recommend one of these

321413.jpg

on each rotor bolt individually. Heat one up, break it loose, one at a time.

Use a NEW hex wrench, preferably a 3/8" drive on a breaker handle, rather than an "L" hex wrench.

Torch available at Ace Hardware stores.

All ready got the torch covered; used it to take the comp/reb dampers out of the forks! I just started another thread, but I'll ask here too, will 05 frt rotors fit an 06? I'm 99.99% sure, but just want to be positive. Thanks.

According to the FSMs the Gen I front rotors are 298mm x 5mm (diameter x thickness) and the Gen II rotors are 320mm x 4.5mm.

Edit: Without any shopping around I found OEM rotors for $113, so with some searching they should be found for even less.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the FSMs the Gen I front rotors are 298mm x 5mm (diameter x thickness) and the Gen II rotors are 320mm x 4.5mm.

Edit: Without any shopping around I found OEM rotors for $113, so with some searching they should be found for even less.
According to the 'Bin-o-facts', the 03's were 298mm, but 04 on they're 320mm. Didn't mention thickness though.

According to the 'Bin-o-facts', the 03's were 298mm, but 04 on they're 320mm. Didn't mention thickness though.
Yep. Only 03 rotors were 298mm. Even if Gen I are .5mm thicker I don't see how that will affect anything. Except give you longer life. They should match up fine.