Appropriate to counsel other riders how to dress appropriately?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freedom of speech for the most part is still allowed in this country. When I see the "no gear" or "not proper" gear people, I try to say something. My comments are usually not sharp tongued or berating. It's more something like "Cycle Gear has cheap jackets for about 100 bucks. They aren't the best but might save some of your skin of u go down". "Seriously, I have a couple of older helmets that will be better than nothing in case u go down". "Just wear some work boots instead of tennis shoes if that's all you got and u go down". I try to make it direct, specific, and non punishing.

Sometimes if works, sometimes it doesn't. I have made trips with friends over to dealerships for gear because of stuff I said, and others have blown me off. My favorite is when they say "Illinois is a no helmet state". I always shoot back "when is the last time Illinois got something right from a legislation standpoint?? Our governors keep going to jail"". It always diffuses the situation and I get one more chance to convince them. "If u crash do u want me to help u as a fellow rider?" They always say "YES". I say "I don't like blood or jigsaw puzzles, so get some freaking gear. Cause if I can tell what's what, I have no shot of helping".

I only offer up an opinion if asked unless it's a family member then I will offer my totally unsolicited opinion whether they like it or not.
X2!

Not really pressing the issue with my nephew about ATGATT after his deer strike with his Harley as he has been getting some "advice" from others, but will be watching to see his approach once he's back on a bike.

He has the gear, just doesn't wear it all the time and got bit- early afternoon, hit a deer on a county road at 60mph with no time to avoid bambi, only wearing a t-shirt, jeans and "biker" boots he luckily survived!

Injuries were a dislocated shoulder, road rash to the arms and hands and a cut lip, and after a month since,he is doing fairly well. Thank God for no serious head injury!

Now if he had only had his helmet, jacket & gloves on, the injuries surely would have been minimized. Maybe him reviewing pictures of his rashed skin and totalled bike will sink in.

After seeing what he went through I cannot understand why people choose to ride w/o proctective gear.

the only "safe gear" on a motorcycle is the bill of sale stating that you just sold the bike.
rolleyes.gif
+1, Gunny; SouthernCruizer: Jay I like the way that you think, I would have a beer or six with you anytime Brother! Papa Chuy Viejo just got back from Filiberto's Taqueria with a Burrito, as a concession to my Good Friend Hans I did wear my RayBan Wayfarer "safe gear" sunglasses and H-D "safe gear" fingerless gloves! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

IMG_7145.jpg
Pappa Chuy, you know I love ya and all.... but,,,,, you may have to 'sip' some light beers for a few months, you're starting to get m00bs! :)

I have learned that offering strangers unsolicited advice usually doesn't go well. So I never tell a stranger they should be wearing gear. I do however find that people are often curious about the mesh gear. That provides an opening and I will talk about gear with them. But more explaining the gear then a lecture on what they should wear. Lead by example I guess.

As I see it. I get to decide what I wear and what anyone that rides my bike wears. Other adults on their own bikes are on their own.

Well, with the exception of my son. I feel I have earned the right to admonish or compliment his gear choices.

Funny this should come up. On Wednesday I saw an FJR rider in CT on 95N at exit 31 wearing just a helmet for gear. T-shirt and shorts were all that stood between him and some major rash.

I debated about posting an FJR sighting query, along with a "wear some gear, dood!" comment, but have grown weary of the subject.

No one rides in my car without a seatbelt. Noone gets on my bike without full gear.

Funny this should come up. On Wednesday I saw an FJR rider in CT on 95N at exit 31 wearing just a helmet for gear. T-shirt and shorts were all that stood between him and some major rash.
I debated about posting an FJR sighting query, along with a "wear some gear, dood!" comment, but have grown weary of the subject.

No one rides in my car without a seatbelt. Noone gets on my bike without full gear.
i hear what you're saying, but comparing a seat belt in a car to safety gear on a rider is apples to oranges. One of the main reasons (not advertised, but true nonetheless) that seat belts are required is because when you are controlling a 2000 lb missile on 4 wheels, and you somehow lose control, you can't get back control while sliding across a seat or stuck on the floorboards, so being belted in protects life and property that might otherwise be run over with no one at the wheel. Requiring helmets/safety clothing on a rider is strictly for the riders protection, as it will not help the rider regain control of the bike if he hits a bump or slides out, etc. In other words, you being required to wear a seat belt helps protect me , while you being required to wear a helmet does nothing for me. Just my $.02US worth.
bike.gif

i hear what you're saying, but comparing a seat belt in a car to safety gear on a rider is apples to oranges. One of the main reasons (not advertised, but true nonetheless) that seat belts are required is because when you are controlling a 2000 lb missile on 4 wheels, and you somehow lose control, you can't get back control while sliding across a seat or stuck on the floorboards, so being belted in protects life and property that might otherwise be run over with no one at the wheel. Requiring helmets/safety clothing on a rider is strictly for the riders protection, as it will not help the rider regain control of the bike if he hits a bump or slides out, etc. In other words, you being required to wear a seat belt helps protect me , while you being required to wear a helmet does nothing for me. Just my $.02US worth.
bike.gif
SouthernCruizer - Age: Old enough to remember bench seats and having room on the floorboard to fit.

Seat belts (and the laws requiring their use have very little to do with protecting life & property outside the vehicle. Seat belts keep people in the "safe zone" of a car; seated, fairly away from parts of the interior that would further injure them if they were tossed about like Yahtzee dice, and where ever an ever increasing number of air bags do the most good. It minimizes their injuries and number of deaths, and (very occasionally) keeps them from being ejected from the vehicle.

Beside making roads "safer" for the people involved in collisions (which makes good stats for DOT, NHTSA, auto makers, etc) if cuts down on medical (aka insurance) costs.

I'm going to take a little different tact here. I think there are a lot of riders/passengers that have never had anyone offer a non-confrontational expression of concern for their safety. It might just get to start thinking about it.
Here's hoping that every once in a while expressing concern might actually elicit change - you might just save a life, or at least shorten someone's recovery time.
I think you hit the nail on the head, Kurt. And isn't that what's behind our urge to talk to people about gear in the first place? What you're suggesting is a technique that could achieve the objective of changing behavior. My article (linked in first post) on applying risk management techniques to riding starts like this (opening paragraph):

When riding my yamaha FJR1300 home from work one day, I stopped at a red light next to a university campus. While waiting for the light to change, a scooter pulled up to my right. I looked over to see a young woman, presumably a student, wearing an open-face helmet, T-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. She made quite a contrast to me in my Aerostich Roadcrafter riding suit, gloves, boots, and full-face helmet. I said in her direction, “I guess you’re not planning to crash today.” When the light turned green, she dusted me.

But ends like this:

At the same time, we can recognize that some riders’ choices may be based on an incomplete understanding of the risks inherent in riding. But before judging them too harshly, perhaps we can find a way to help them become better informed. Nowadays I regret what I said to that girl on the scooter. Given another opportunity, I’ll try to say something more informative and kinder, even if it’s only “Keep the rubber side down.”

I believe it is the riders choice. Believe the same about seat belts. I still ride in jeans, even tho my wife wears (and I applaud her) full gear. I do wear a good FF helmet, gloves, jacket and boots. (And we crash tested all our gear at 55mph last year) I haven't always. When I was young, it was a helmet, boots, jeans and sometimes gloves, if it was hot, a t-shirt. In the desert I rode with no shirt. (not a lot of difference there). I raced bikes back then too....so I knew what happened in a crash...but being young, I just wasn't worried. When you are young, you are invincible. While I will discuss it with riders, I do not judge them....ok....not the younger ones. Have to admit, when the riders are older, I do think "haven't you learned anything yet?!"

BTW.....where does that rider work?
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
When I got my FJR a bit over 2 years ago, it had been 25 years since I had ridden a bike.

I knew nothing about proper gear. I knew if I hit the pavement at speed, there wasn't going to be much of me left.

I was a nervous rider.

Imagine my delight when I stumbled across forum posts and advertizements that hinted to the possibility that one can hit the pavement at 80 mph and survive!

I would have welcomed some gear advise, sadly most here (in the south) consider a patched leather vest and fingerless gloves (protective gear).

Riding more confidently now, with proper gear...

Well, last month, I decided to go commando, boots, jean, tank top, and half-helmet. Well, that lasted about 4 days then a woman cutting across three lanes of traffic, left to right, to park, hit me. Never again; full gear or don't ride. I don't think the gear would have saved the shoulder injury, but it would have prevented the road rash. Thankfully, most of the bruises on my leg and ankle are healing. I don't think gear would have helped any more. My left leg was smooshed between bike and car.

My daughter is a LEO, and can't convince her to wear a helmet even after witnessing the aftermath of several motorcycle crashes. I started her out early on small dirtbikes,insisted on helmet etc,to no avail when sh was a adult. State Law or not I ride minimum Helmet, gloves,mesh jacket, and boots,so she don't get it from me.

bike.gif
I dunno SC... I can imagine a few situations where "proper" gear helps maintain control. If I'm going to run into a large bee, a bird, or a stone thrown up by a semi, I'll be glad I'm wearing my full face helmet when it hits me!

Well, last month, I decided to go commando, boots, jean, tank top, and half-helmet. Well, that lasted about 4 days then a woman cutting across three lanes of traffic, left to right, to park, hit me. Never again; full gear or don't ride. I don't think the gear would have saved the shoulder injury, but it would have prevented the road rash. Thankfully, most of the bruises on my leg and ankle are healing. I don't think gear would have helped any more. My left leg was smooshed between bike and car.
Ouch! Sounds like a Rockdude between a motorcycle and a hard place.

Heal fast!