Apres CFR Ride 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Booked my room at the Inverary Resort but then while perusing their website, found a Bed and Breakfast 'Package' for $105. The package description states "from $135 per night" but the $105 price comes up when you search the date. This is in a "Traditional Room" with 2 double beds. Booked this 'Package' instead.
smile.gif

Bummer... looks like we are going to miss the "Mussels and Beer on the Boardwalk" from 3 - 5.
sad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You Bill, Very Much Appreciated! Once again, just double checking here, this is for arrival on Thursday, June 23 and with departure on Friday, June 24. Thanks for thinking of Papa Chuy with the golf cart shuttle; but I had allocated monies in our Travel Budget for wheelbarrow rentals, this is how Seth and I toured the Temple Bar area of Dublin, Ireland two years ago: With Seth pushing his Da from pub to pub; now that Seth is 14, he can probably push Da to at least ten speakeasy's!

Booked my room at the Inverary Resort but then while perusing their website, found a Bed and Breakfast 'Package' for $105. The package description states "from $135 per night" but the $105 price comes up when you search the date. This is in a "Traditional Room" with 2 double beds. Booked this 'Package' instead.
smile.gif

Bummer... looks like we are going to miss the "Mussels and Beer on the Boardwalk" from 3 - 5.
sad.gif
There is just no making you Albertans happy :dribble:

Why don't you just roll a big fat one like your BC cousins and be happy :drag:

But seriously thanks for double checking. I will call the resort tomorrow to see if we can get an "upgrade".

Thank You Bill, Very Much Appreciated! Once again, just double checking here, this is for arrival on Thursday, June 23 and with departure on Friday, June 24. Thanks for thinking of Papa Chuy with the golf cart shuttle; but I had allocated monies in our Travel Budget for wheelbarrow rentals, this is how Seth and I toured the Temple Bar area of Dublin, Ireland two years ago: With Seth pushing his Da from pub to pub; now that Seth is 14, he can probably push Da to at least ten speakeasy's!
Your arrival / departure dates are correct but you may want to wait a day so I can check into the B&B package. If we leave early on Thursday morning we won't have to listen to Jeff's whining about missing "Mussels & Beer on the boardwalk". Then again since retiring my day starts at the crack of noon.

...If we leave early on Thursday morning we won't have to listen to Jeff's whining about missing "Mussels & Beer on the boardwalk". Then again since retiring my day starts at the crack of noon.
Unless Mike's FJR (from Bikers Bed and Breakfast) has after burners on it, and I skip the Sunrise Trail, there's no way I'll be getting up in time to make it to that. Guess we'll just have to do Mussels and Beer in the Pub!
wink.gif

smile.gif
I called this morning and received the following explaination from resort management:

The $105 rate for the B&B Special Deal only applies to the main house rooms on the second floor. There are only 5 rooms available at this rate and these rooms only have one double bed. You will also not be able to park the bike in sight of the room.

The $135 rate for the B&B Special Deal mentioned on the website covers the type of rooms that are covered in the block of rooms that are on hold for us.

Without knowing if everyone wanted breakfast or not (There is a Tim Horton's at 8250 Shore Rd) plus the fact that it would be close to a wash in price, we ended up agreeing to leave the current arrangements in place.

If the smaller room works for you and bike parking is not an issue then the $105 B&B deal is the way to go. Otherwise our booking is the next best deal. It would have been better if the website was a little more clear on this.

https://www.capebretonresorts.com/our-resorts/inverary/index.html Okay der Hosers, just spoke to Tanya at the Inverary Resort and Seth and I are booked for 6/23 at $109 plus tax for two double beds with a confirmation number! All we have to do now is wait to get there. Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Hi Bill,

I'm trying to get an idea of where you guys will be each evening.

Thurs June 23 in Baddeck

Friday June 24 in Cheticamp?

Sat June 25 north of Bangor? Cheticamp to Bangor approx 600 miles

Sun June 26 back home in Ont Bangor to Baden approx 800 miles

Does that sound about right?

smile.gif
I called this morning and received the following explaination from resort management:

The $105 rate for the B&B Special Deal only applies to the main house rooms on the second floor. There are only 5 rooms available at this rate and these rooms only have one double bed. You will also not be able to park the bike in sight of the room.

The $135 rate for the B&B Special Deal mentioned on the website covers the type of rooms that are covered in the block of rooms that are on hold for us.

Without knowing if everyone wanted breakfast or not (There is a Tim Horton's at 8250 Shore Rd) plus the fact that it would be close to a wash in price, we ended up agreeing to leave the current arrangements in place.

If the smaller room works for you and bike parking is not an issue then the $105 B&B deal is the way to go. Otherwise our booking is the next best deal. It would have been better if the website was a little more clear on this.

Wow!
blink.gif
I was already thinking their website reservation systems (yes plural) need attention, but it looks like there's a major communication issue between the resort and their IT people. The description on the website of the room in the Bed & Breakfast Package is:

"Traditional - the traditional room is a standard motel room located in various buildings on the 11-acre property. They have two double beds and a full bath. You can stay in Glasgow House, a two storey building where the indoor pool, fitness room, and sauna are located or traditional rooms are also at ground level in the Argyle Building, Campbell Hall, Colloden and Wagon House all these buildings have two floors. All rooms have coffee makers, hair dryers, TV's, guest telephones and personal amenities for your comfort."

What you were told is totally contradictory to what the booking page states.
dribble.gif
Looks like I'd better confirm what it is that I've booked.

Thanks for finding the location, making the group booking and looking into this. We appreciate it!
clapping.gif

Hi Bill,

Thurs June 23 in Baddeck

I think he mentioned Pictou for Friday night. I was looking at leaving the group and heading to Truro Friday night in order to make a Sat flight, but have an extra day now so I'm good with more time on the Cabot Trail now.

Hi Bill,

Thurs June 23 in Baddeck

I think he mentioned Pictou for Friday night. I was looking at leaving the group and heading to Truro Friday night in order to make a Sat flight, but have an extra day now so I'm good with more time on the Cabot Trail now.
https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Pictou&1s=NS&1y=CA&1l=45.678181&1g=-62.707069&1v=CITY&2c=Burlington&2s=VT&2y=US&2l=44.4758&2g=-73.212502&2v=CITY Pictou should also work well for The Stanley Boys. Two 365 mile days will get us back to Burlington, Vermont on Sunday evening 6/26; Seth flies home on Monday 6/27. Then Papa Chuy slogs it back home to Phoenix, with a brief stop in Owosso, MI to kick Bustanut joker in the nuts!

Hi Bill,

Thurs June 23 in Baddeck

So you actually think there is a thoughtful plan behind all this??

Here is how I see this working according to Mapsource.

Fri June 24

Starting from Baddeck and looping around the Cabot Trail with a side trip to Meat Cove and a visit to the Glenora Distillery, stopping for the night in Pictou via the Mini Cabot Trail - 614 km (approx 381 miles)

Sat June 25

Pictou to Freddy Beach via the Sunrise Trail and then crossing the US border at St Croix stopping at Lincoln, Maine for the night - 587 km (approx 364 miles)

Sun Jun 26

Lincoln, Maine to Burlington VT via the north route with a stop at Ben & Jerry's for ice cream - 568 km (approx 352 miles)

This is the route I was planning for Don & Seth since Seth needs to be back to Burlington VT for Sunday.

My plans are up in the air and depending on weather. I may leave the group at Pictou and head up to the Gaspe.

If Don plies me with enough Crown Royal I will play along all the way to Burlington. From there I will go play around Lake Placid and then wander home from there.

Brother Bill, The Crown Royal is definitely on me for all of the hard work you have put into planning and executing the Apres CFR Ride!

Por favor, mi Amigo: After Pictou please head off to The Gaspe. Seth and I will be fine navigating our way back to Los Estados Unidos!

Once you'se guys get this all figgerd out, can you just lay out the whole itinerary for the rest of us so we can see where the heck you're gonna be leadin' us, M'kay? :unsure:

Once you'se guys get this all figgerd out, can you just lay out the whole itinerary for the rest of us so we can see where the heck you're gonna be leadin' us, M'kay? :unsure:
I can lead you to the flagpole at Meat Cove. After that just follow the arrows...

1204862474_K7Yas-L.jpg

On a lighter note I'll have GPS files and some maps for the Luddites once we get a little closer to the date.

I was thinking (well as close as I come to thinking) that after the first day on the Cabot most folks would be making their own plans to make their way back home. If the weather is iffy some may want to stay in Cape Breton and attempt a do-over of the Cabot or go over to Louisbourg. Some may want to head to the Gaspe after Pictou. Some may want to head around Nova Scotia and do the Lighthouse Trail. Some may want to go to PEI. Some may want to beeline it home.

I do have a route in mind to help Don make it back to Burlington VT that I think is nice.

I was going to ask Canadian FJR if he can recommend a motel in Pictou so this is still a work in progress.

Room reserved at Inverary for Thursday night. Still need to decide where to stay Friday night. I'll see what else gets discussed here, but I'll probably start heading back towards the US Saturday, spend Saturday night in Maine, NH, or VT, so I can be back home by Sunday night.

Josie and I'll likely be on a similar trek to you guys, Greg. We need to get back home (some time) Sunday (or before COD Monday).

Room reserved at Inverary for Thursday night. Still need to decide where to stay Friday night. I'll see what else gets discussed here, but I'll probably start heading back towards the US Saturday, spend Saturday night in Maine, NH, or VT, so I can be back home by Sunday night.
Pictou NS will be a good place for Friday night then it will depend on your route home where you want to try for on Saturday.

The plan for Friday is to leave Inverary and head up Hwy 105 and then onto Hwy 19...

1205028520_B9fyw-L.jpg

We then travel CCW on the Cabot Trail past Ingonish Beach to the turn-off for Meat Cove near Cape North...

1205028588_3SGZ6-L.jpg

At that point those that wish to go to Meat Cove can turn make the right turn and the others can continue on the Cabot Trail.

For those that go to Meat Cove it is 165 km from Baddeck...

1205028684_3zgZd-L.jpg

The next leg would take us along the most scenic sections of the Cabot into the town of Cheticamp for fish & chips...

1205028763_NxsEN-L.jpg

At this point we will be 264 km from Baddeck - subtract roughly 60 km if you do not go to Meat Cove.

From this point on we have choices. Canadian FJR recommends turning onto the Shore Rd at Margaree Harbour. We could then run the Shore Road and then swing back on Hwy 19 to pick up the rest of the Cabot Trail across the Cape back over to Hwy 105. We would then go south and then turn onto Hwy 395 back to Hwy 19 and then turn south and stop in at Glenora Distillery for a late afternoon tour. (464 km)

1205028887_Gmpr8-L.jpg

If time is looking short and people want to do the tour we can go down the Shore Rd, turn south on 19 and go to the Distillery (333 km) then after the tour head north on 19 and run Hwy 395 back to Hwy 105.

We would then cross back over the causeway (120 km from Distillery) and slab the last 120 km on the 104 / 106 to Pictou.

Pictou looks good. Then I can head southwest and stop somewhere in Maine on Saturday. :yahoo:

Lincoln Maine looks about right, or maybe a little further, then I'd head straight home on Sunday and skip Ben and Jerry's. :eek:

This is getting very tempting. The last time I rode the cabot trail was 30 years ago.

I'm am a bit confused though. So many are heading out on this ride on the morning of the last day of the CFR (23rd).....why?

Why not leave Friday morning, the 24th? I'm guessing most don't want to use up Monday to get home.

This is getting very tempting. The last time I rode the cabot trail was 30 years ago.

I'm am a bit confused though. So many are heading out on this ride on the morning of the last day of the CFR (23rd).....why?

Why not leave Friday morning, the 24th? I'm guessing most don't want to use up Monday to get home.
John d - by Thursday morning, CFR is all over except for the crying goodbyes. (or the crying goodbyes)

We planned it this way so peeps could go to the Cabot Trail OR the Gaspe after CFR with reasonable travelling time on both ends.

Why don't you c'mon on down and find out for your own self ? :D