Apres CFR Ride 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Booked my room at the Inverary Resort but then while perusing their website, found a Bed and Breakfast 'Package' for $105. The package description states "from $135 per night" but the $105 price comes up when you search the date. This is in a "Traditional Room" with 2 double beds. Booked this 'Package' instead.
smile.gif
I called this morning and received the following explaination from resort management:

The $105 rate for the B&B Special Deal only applies to the main house rooms on the second floor. There are only 5 rooms available at this rate and these rooms only have one double bed. You will also not be able to park the bike in sight of the room.

The $135 rate for the B&B Special Deal mentioned on the website covers the type of rooms that are covered in the block of rooms that are on hold for us.

Without knowing if everyone wanted breakfast or not (There is a Tim Horton's at 8250 Shore Rd) plus the fact that it would be close to a wash in price, we ended up agreeing to leave the current arrangements in place.

If the smaller room works for you and bike parking is not an issue then the $105 B&B deal is the way to go. Otherwise our booking is the next best deal. It would have been better if the website was a little more clear on this.
...... Looks like I'd better confirm what it is that I've booked.

I finally received a detailed confirmation from Inverary Resort. It confirms that the package I booked is in one of the "Traditional" rooms.

"Package includes 1 night in 1 Traditional room. First floor King bed.

Includes continental or Quick Start Breakfast in the morning.

Package Rate: $105.00 plus tax per package"

Unfortunately, they have now altered the package details on the website to be an "Original" room as they described to Bill.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally received a detailed confirmation from Inverary Resort. It confirms that the package I booked is in one of the "Traditional" rooms.

Unfortunately, they have now altered the package details on the website to be an "Original" room as they described to Bill.
rolleyes.gif
So, can we count on you to fill your backpack with enough of that free breakfast for the rest of us? :eek:

...I finally received a detailed confirmation from Inverary Resort. It confirms that the package I booked is in one of the "Traditional" rooms.

rolleyes.gif
See all the fuss you caused.

I'm putting you in charge of supplying the croissants in the morning.

As mentioned in previous posts there has been ongoing road work around the Cabot Trail. Ingonish is now finished and in great shape. The bad news is that the next 6km stretch is being started in the spring. There will be delays and a little dirt/mud depending on the weather. I will keep the road updates coming.

Canadian FJR

I think I am going to get in on this action. I am taking 16 days to do CFR and just wonder about NS, NB and PEI. I plan to camp most of the time so another dry bed would be nice.

The scenery is beautiful, reminds me of the old country.

MEM-Should I bring my mug?

I think I am going to get in on this action. I am taking 16 days to do CFR and just wonder about NS, NB and PEI. I plan to camp most of the time so another dry bed would be nice.

The scenery is beautiful, reminds me of the old country.

MEM-Should I bring my mug?
From Pictou it is just a few kilometers (even fewer miles) to the ferry for PEI. I know if you use the bridge you do not pay to get onto PEI but you pay to leave. I don't know the cost structure for the ferry.

From Pictou it is just a few kilometers (even fewer miles) to the ferry for PEI. I know if you use the bridge you do not pay to get onto PEI but you pay to leave. I don't know the cost structure for the ferry.

From the bridge website,

"Bridge tolls are for the round trip, and are paid when leaving Prince Edward Island at the toll plaza in Borden - Carleton, PEI. The bridge operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Reservations are not required."

Toll for Motorcycles is $17.25

From the ferry website,

"Passage to Wood Islands is provided without fare collection; fares are collected in full when leaving Prince Edward Island."

Fare for Motorcycles is listed as $40.00 + Fuel Surcharge ($5 in 2009
blink.gif
looks like the website needs some updating
rolleyes.gif
says $20 in 'How To Book' page
unsure.gif
)

Edit: Called the ferry line today. 2011 rates not available yet. Reservations are not available for motorcycles so it looks like it's free to take to the island is free. Cool!
biggrin.gif

I have looked into accomodation around Pictou for the night of Friday June 24.

I also contacted Canadian FJR for input and Scott basically confirmed what I had found.

The Braeside Inn is nice and is located in Pictou.
This is my first choice since it is right downtown and is within walking distance of pubs and restaurants in Pictou.

There is a total of 18 rooms available at this Inn.There are cheaper motels on the edge of town but there does not appear to be any restaurants close by and the motels are of much lesser quality.

The other choice is Country Innlocated in New Glasgow.
This is located right on the Trans Canada (Hwy 104) just before Pictou but ammenties appear limited.

You are only 45 minutes from Truro and the Bikers Bed & Breakfast would be a neat spot.https://bikersbedandbreakfast.ca/
There are only three rooms available at this B&B.

I will probably be making reservations at the Braeside Inn at Pictou for myself but with everyone heading in different directions after the Cabot Trail this may not be the best choice for everyone. However, this will be the last chance for the "Cabot Trail Carousers" to get together before going our separate ways.

https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Pictou&1s=NS&1y=CA&1l=45.678181&1g=-62.707069&1v=CITY&2c=Burlington&2s=VT&2y=US&2l=44.4758&2g=-73.212502&2v=CITY yamafitter, Pictou looks like a great location for Friday night. Just two 7 hour and 365 mile days and I easily will have Seth back to his Mom Jean in Burlington on Sunday night. So Bill, do we Stanley Boys just go ahead and book the Braeside Inn or do we await your command decision? We won't book anything until back from Fairlaner's Death Valley romp on Monday!

There are several good spots to eat/drink in Pictou.

https://www.townofpictou.ca/dining_in_pictou.html

For a group, the one below would be perfect.

Settlers Saltwater - There is a deck looking over the harbor

67 Caladh Av

Pictou, NS B0K 1H0

(902) 485-2558

There is also one of my favorite spots in all of Nova Scotia just a few miles out of town. https://piperslandingrestaurant.com/index.html Moosehead and his wife joined us here this past summer.

Canadian FJR
Scott and Bill, The more info that Old Michael tells me about the Province of New Brunswick, the more concerned I am becoming! I am reading all of these glowing reports of amazing and wonderful places to eat and drink at in Nova Scotia, but not a single pip about dining in New Brunswick; not even a reference to that Scottish restaurant, McDonald's.

Should Seth and I stock up on grocery supplies before we leave from Maine? Pack protein bars and Gatorade? Do these people in Fredericton survive on surplus army field rations or Saltine crackers? Inquiring minds want to know!

Scott and Bill, The more info that Old Michael tells me about the Province of New Brunswick, the more concerned I am becoming! I am reading all of these glowing reports of amazing and wonderful places to eat and drink at in Nova Scotia, but not a single pip about dining in New Brunswick; not even a reference to that Scottish restaurant, McDonald's.

Should Seth and I stock up on grocery supplies before we leave from Maine? Pack protein bars and Gatorade? Do these people in Fredericton survive on surplus army field rations or Saltine crackers? Inquiring minds want to know!
One word, "McLobster".

https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Pictou&1s=NS&1y=CA&1l=45.678181&1g=-62.707069&1v=CITY&2c=Burlington&2s=VT&2y=US&2l=44.4758&2g=-73.212502&2v=CITY yamafitter, Pictou looks like a great location for Friday night. Just two 7 hour and 365 mile days and I easily will have Seth back to his Mom Jean in Burlington on Sunday night. So Bill, do we Stanley Boys just go ahead and book the Braeside Inn or do we await your command decision? We won't book anything until back from Fairlaner's Death Valley romp on Monday!
I say, "Getter Done". Say hi to those Left Coast hosers for me.

North America must be sloped to the west because all the nuts roll to there.

You are only 45 minutes from Truro and the Bikers Bed & Breakfast would be a neat spot.https://bikersbedandbreakfast.ca/
There are only three rooms available at this B&B.

And only 2 available Friday night as I have 1 booked. This may change though as I now have an extra day to ride (Saturday.) I may head south in NS, rather than west to Pictou, after the Cabot Trail and return to Truro for Saturday night.

https://classic.mapqu....212502&2v=CITY yamafitter, Pictou looks like a great location for Friday night. Just two 7 hour and 365 mile days and I easily will have Seth back to his Mom Jean in Burlington on Sunday night. So Bill, do we Stanley Boys just go ahead and book the Braeside Inn or do we await your command decision? We won't book anything until back from Fairlaner's Death Valley romp on Monday!
If you want to save a few miles and have a more enjoyable ride, you might want to consider heading down to St John and along the coast rather than gong back through Freddy.

Just a thought!
smile.gif

... North America must be sloped to the west because all the nuts roll to there.
Hmmm... If North America slopes to the west, why does water in Alberta flow east? Guessin' the nuts roll east from here... and there must be a low spot in Ontario!
tongue.gif
Any nuts rolling east is actually due to a gravitational black hole centered in Owosso MI.

I have called the Braeside Inn in Pictou NS and have been quoted the following prices for Friday night, June 24:

1-800-613-7701 for reservations

• 4 smaller rooms suitable for 1 person - $65
  • 5 rooms with 1 queen bed - $95
  • 2 rooms with 1 King bed - $115
  • 2 rooms with two double beds - $115
  • 1 room with two double beds & an adjoining room with single bed - $130

All room prices include breakfast.

Please be advised that the booking season is starting and you should book now to avoid being disappointed.

Booking code is "Fitkowski". Bonus points if you spell my name correctly (most can't).

All prices are in Canadian Dollars not US Pesos.

Quick question for the locals...

Do you, or maybe Should tourists like us, purchase a Cape Breton Highlands National Park pass when riding the Cabot Trail?

Road side rest stops and viewpoints within the park are considered park facilities.

Not that the $7.80 pp entry fee is a big deal, I'm happy to support the Parks system, but just curious.

I presume a stop at the park info centre might be worthwhile for us tourist types anyway, eh?
smile.gif