Apres CFR Ride 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have called the Braeside Inn in Pictou NS and have been quoted the following prices for Friday night, June 24:

• 4 smaller rooms suitable for 1 person - $65
  • 5 rooms with 1 queen bed - $95
  • 2 rooms with 1 King bed - $115
  • 2 rooms with two double beds - $115
  • 1 room with two double beds & an adjoining room with single bed - $130

All room prices include breakfast.

Please be advised that the booking season is starting and you should book now to avoid being disappointed.

Booking code is "Fitkowski". Bonus points if you spell my name correctly (most can't).
We Stanley Boys are all set, eh Bill! Called Mike at the Braeside Inn 1-800-613-7701 and booked, eh. They also had a room with a double and a single Mike suggested, to allow a little more room in the occupancy eh. Mike asked what time we'd arrive, I asked him to see what you had put down for arrival eh.

Mike also said that if we were to do a group dinner, to call by 4pm that day; so they would have time to set up for us eh! Thanks, Mister yamafitter!

Ah crapola, I just saw Jeff's post and I fully realized that I had forgotten to add any "eh's"! So I have properly edited this just now, eh!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='beemerdons' timestamp='1299707403' post='834959'

We Stanley Boys are all set, eh Bill! Called Mike at the Braeside Inn 1-800-613-7701 and booked, eh. They also had a room with a double and a single Mike suggested, to allow a little more room in the occupancy eh. Mike asked what time we'd arrive, I asked him to see what you had put down for arrival eh.

Mike also said that if we were to do a group dinner, to call by 4pm that day; so they would have time to set up for us eh! Thanks, Mister yamafitter!

Ah crapola, I just saw Jeff's post and I fully realized that I had forgotten to add any "eh's"! So I have properly edited this just now, eh!

You're such a hoser, eh!

You are not allowed to use such language unless you own a plaid shirt so like TAKE OFF EH!!! :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsgVspgy184

Ha, ha; love Doug and Bob MacKenzie, eh! https://weather.aol.c...252D12448AB72AE But Bill, a plaid shirt here in Phoenix? Bro, it is 81F degrees out here on my patio where I am typing this: I'm wearing a tank top, swim trunks and flip-flops, eh! It is going to be 89F tomorrow in Central Arizona, Beauty!
Very nice.

But, when you come up in June, bring your hot weather gear, cold weather gear, wet weather gear, and a toque eh!

"Should tourists like us, purchase a Cape Breton Highlands National Park pass when riding the Cabot Trail?

Very good question. I have never bought a park pass. Just cruise thru the park entrance like the locals do. If a warden decides to walk up and talk to you while you are at a rest stop or look-off just play dumb and the worst thing that will happen is you may have to buy one on the spot. We kinda ran into this when CFR was in Cape Breton. One of the groups ended up buying passes half way around the Trail.

Canadian FJR

When I went through in July I had to 'buy' a park pass (it was National Freebie Parks Canada Day!).

Scott, for some reason, i suspect that you don't stop much.
unsure.gif
Just a hunch.

I guess I can bring an annual parks pass if it's not needed by someone here.
smile.gif

LOL, you know me so well. This is true when on the bike but we usually spend a weeks vacation in Highlands every summer to go hiking and sight seeing in one of those 4 wheeled things. The van is parked for several hours at various parking areas while hiking and still not an issue.

Canadian FJR

... But Bill, a plaid shirt here in Phoenix? Bro, it is 81F degrees out here on my patio where I am typing this: I'm wearing a tank top, swim trunks and flip-flops, eh! It is going to be 89F tomorrow in Central Arizona, Beauty!
It is under a 100F in Phoenix???

GOOD GOD MAN put a coat on before you freeze to death!!!

If you don't have any warm clothes I can spare my old work parka. I normally put it under my friend's Beemer so it doesn't spew oil all over my driveway when the final drive explodes.

Here is a recent photo from Freddy Beach...

Snowdrift_over_road.jpg

Daybreak for Freddy Beach is scheduled for mid-May and the glaciers should start receding shortly there after. For those that insist on CT's I suggest a studded snow tire.

There appears to be some confusion surrounding the Apres CFR Ride around the Cabot Trail. Please read the following carefully.

I have to admit that, like Jack, we are in the category of peeps that wanna ride the Cabot Trail post CFR, but I have to say, nobody is making any of this real easy. If it comes down to the wire and we can't (figure out how to) join the Cabot Convoy, well by gawd we'll just do it on our own, I guess. But it sure would be good if someone with a modicum of organizational skilz would just lay out what folx need to do to get in on this dealio.

OTOH, if you don't want us 'mericans to join in on that, I'm completely cool with that. :huh:

PS - the large amount of chatter on the thread makes it hard to figure out what we need to do.
I had hoped to clean up the confusion with the second post in the Cabot Trail thread but I will try to pull it all together here.

1. Call now and book a room at the Inverary Inn, Baddeck, Cape Breton Island, NS. The start of the Cabot Trail arriving THURSDAY NIGHT, June 23 for one night.

Booking Information for Inverary Resort

2. Also call now and book a room at the Braeside Inn, Pitou NS which is our destination for FRIDAY NIGHT, June 24 for one night.

Booking Information for Braeside Country Inn

Now for Plan A (itinerary)

1. Thurday morning (June 23) people going to the Cabot Trail get checked out of the hotel and meet up with Canadian FJR. We want to be rolling no later than 10:00 AM

2. Canadian FJR leads the group from Freddy Beach (Fredricton NB) up to New Glasglow area via the Sunrise Trail.

3. Either myself or MEM will lead from this point to Cape Breton Island and the start of the Cabot Trail. We will arrive at the Inverary Resort in Baddeck and hopefully have some mussels on the boardwalk.

4. Friday morning we ride the Cabot Trail in the proper direction. A side trip to Meat Cove is possible along with a tour and tasting at the Glenora Distillery.

5. Arrive Friday evening, June 24 in Pictou NS at the Braeside Country Inn.

At this point the Apres CFR Ride of the Cabot Trail ends. Some of us are going to do a ride over to PEI on Saturday to visit Confederation House and ride 'the Bridge'.

I hope to post Garmin 'gdb' files for the Apres CFR ride on the CFR website if the powers that be allow me.

This is the best I can do. It's up to you now to unravel my Polish ramblings and figure out what is going on.

Thanks for the recap, Bill. We Stanley Boys have already made our reservations, but on May Day I'll call again for confirmations. Also, will call the Silverwood Motel with a credit card number, Silverwood had requested all lodgers give them a CC # 30 days in advance. Looking forward to CFR 2011 New Brunswick and the Cabot Trail.

PS: I am feeling much more confident about Fredericton after doing some independent research about Freddy Beach, I'm trying to ignore the heartfelt advice of my Irish cousin Old Michael. In an email OM sent me just last night, he said that the nicest compliment that you can give a girl from Frederiction is: "Really Nice Tooth!"

PS: I am feeling much more confident about Fredericton after doing some independent research about Freddy Beach, I'm trying to ignore the heartfelt advice of my Irish cousin Old Michael. In an email OM sent me just last night, he said that the nicest compliment that you can give a girl from Frederiction is: "Really Nice Tooth!"
Do NOT make me go back out there :glare:

1256497646_WBJBfmB-S.jpg

Do NOT make me go back out there :glare:

1256497646_WBJBfmB-S.jpg
Rut Roh!!! Somebody's in trouble............

Now that I have a better understanding of what the master aprez-CFR plan is, I'm able to start making some of the other plans for the week, like for getting up to CFR and then getting back home from Nova Scotia after.

On the way up, I'm thinking of leaving on Sunday AM and riding on up through the White Mountains of NH and then over into the Western Mountains of Maine, then stay overnight in Rangeley. Monday we'll head east through Dover-Foxcroft and take Rt 6 across Maine to the border in Vanceboro / St Croix. From there it looks like a straight shot up to Fredericton.

Then, apres the apres, I'm thinking that since we'll be leaving from Pictou on Saturday AM, we'll take Highway 1 back along the Bay of Fundy and on down to the border in Calais, then take Maine Rte 9 (as was previously recommended) down to the Bangor area. I have in my mind to get to the Eagles Nest in Brewer for a giant lobstah roll dinner on Saturday night, and then probably stay overnight at the Colony Motel just down the street. That'll be a good 400 mile, 6 hour saddle time (plus border crossing) day.

Sunday we'll be headed back to New Hampshire, probably ride mostly on secondary roads, like Rte 202, which parallels the Maine turnpike most of the way.

Anyone see any big holes in that plan? Any of the selected roads that are worth avoiding?

We'd be glad to have company for any part of it.
Paul and I will be leaving my place in NY on Saturday. Maybe we can meet up with you on Sunday AM and tag along for the ride north. We will be camping some of the time. It looks like there are plenty of campgrounds near Rangeley.

We are definitely going across to PEI from Pictou so we'll miss out on lobst'a rolls AGAIN. :angry: We plan on camping in Pictou rather than staying at the hotel. There is a campground a few blocks from the Braeside in Pictou called Birchwood.

That sounds good, Greg. How far north do you think you'll make it on Saturday? We'll have to coordinate a rendezvous point somewhere. Then I think we'll be hooking up with Jack and Jane (bbdig and his Mrs.) in Rangeley on Monday AM. The camping thing isn't for us. Just not enough extra space when riding 2-up and the Mrs likes the Motel camping. ;) We'll probably stay at the Town and Lake Motel, right on the water. Also within walking distance to some eateries.
Excellent! It will be very nice meeting up with you and the Mrs. I sent you a PM so we can work out the details.

Regarding PEI, it will be only a half day or so, across to PEI from Pictou by ferry and back across the bridge then south to the USA. I need to be home Sunday night so I can work on Monday morning.

I guess I can bring an annual parks pass if it's not needed by someone here.
smile.gif
I renewed the Annual "Discovery Pass" and made some inquiries. Official Parks Canada position on Motorcycles is that the pass is good for up to 7 motorcyclists travelling together as a group. Although the Cape Breton Highlands Park page (as well as other Park pages I checked) on the Parks Canada website states "Up to seven people arriving in a single vehicle... ", the Discovery Pass Web Page states "Up to seven people arriving together at a national park, national marine conservation area or national historic site." and I was told Motorcycles, like bicycles, are an exception to the single vehicle stipulation. I have inquired with the Park for confirmation and am awaiting feedback.

Anyone see any big holes in that plan? Any of the selected roads that are worth avoiding?

We'd be glad to have company for any part of it.
Hi Fred

I've never been on the Wood Islands Ferry but I Googled it and am thinking that IF you wanted to do a quick ride on PEI, you COULD do that AND take #1 to St. Stephen, with Brewer (and the yummy Eagle's Nest) as your destination on Saturday.

Taking the 0800h ferry from Caribou (~ 6 miles from Pictou), you could be in Borden and the Confederation Bridge by noon. And highway 1 is mostly 4-lane, IIRC.

All I would add to your itinerary is the detail I referred to the other day .....

Mark and I were discussing how to arrange the rides to optimize the Lower Slobovia New Brunswick experience. The St Andrews-and-Ossies-for-lunch being the least of the fun rides. Soooooo.....I came up with a way to do a St Andrews/Ossies-for-late-lunch AND do a Ferry Run (ride 5 ferries on a round-trip through rural NB to St Martins on the Bay of Fundy) and most-of-a-day ride to the Hopewell Rocks (sticky buns and coffee on the way and lunch at Hopewell)

Don and Seth are coming in on Sunday so they're here for Monday's fun and I can have my way with them anyway :D But, for the rest of you ....I thought I could meet you on Monday, June 20th, at St Stephen at 1 or 2 pm (which will be 12 or 1 Ontario, Quebec and NE time) if you cross at Calais (Route 9 from Bangor). From there we'd ride over to St Andrews, have a late lunch at Ossies and maybe a very casual 'cue back at the Silverwood that evening. So Monday would look after St Andrews and we'd do the best rides on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'll leave that with y'all. Feedback and/or questions are welcome ! :D

Great plan MEM. I'm not sure if I'll be a day early or not but I will definitely keep this in mind and will let you know if I will met up in St. Stephen at 13:00 Atlantic Time.

I'm going to ask a favour.

Since folks got so badly confused about the Apres CFR Ride for a romp around the Cabot I would suggest that all discussion & planning for the rides BEFORE CFR take place in a new Avant CFR thread.

Otherwise Fred's head will explode trying to keep track of what's going on. I know it's giving me a headache.

I would ask that discussion & planning of any apres apres rides after we ride the Cabot take place in a new CFR thread titled Digging out of the Snowbank. This would leave the Apres CFR thread for discussion of the Cabot Trail portion of this event only.

Thanks