Aprilia Shiver

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRO

Reaction score
My friend, Paul, acquired the Aprilia and Moto Guizzi dealership for Tulsa, Okla., about the same time I purchased my '07 FJR. Being a good pal, my oldest son and I tried out several of his new bikes. The Aprilia sportbikes were beautiful, but the ergonomics of such beasts excludes me from riding them. We both tried the Tuono, though. I wasn't impressed. Too vibey, and the bike had a cheap feel to it. Quite a bit on maint. on those bikes, also.

When the new LS750 Shivers came in, they were interesting-looking, but I'd already discounted ever owning an Aprilia.

I dropped by Paul's Brookside Cycle, yesterday. He had a customer there, looking to buy an '05 FJR he had for sale. I was recruited to soapbox for the FJR. I was looking at the Shiver, later. Paul threw me the keys.

Shit! I want one!

It was fun. The little torque beast was more fun than a Speed Triple. It begged to be wheelied, but was perfectly comfortable to keep earthbound. In about two blocks, it felt more like flying through the clouds than riding a bike. I can't describe how it handled; it just went wherever I wanted, flawlessly. The power delivery felt so smooth and unlimited, I had to check to make sure it was a V-twin, when I got off! It's fly-by-wire, I now understand. No fooling; no throttle cable. The thing has three or four fuel maps you can choose from, at the flick of a switch - Now there's an idea worth having. The brakes were the best, period (same ones as on the bigger 1200 Aprilia performance bikes; talk about STOP). The stepped seat was great. The step acts like a backrest. It could have been a bit plusher, but I've gotten soft in my middle-age. The footpegs are positioned for a really comfortable, bolt-upright position. At 6'1", the ergos of this bike were perfect. I don't know when I've sat a bike, than didn't need something, and I'm tired of buying expensive bikes that don't fit without aftermarket parts. Risers? I'd never need any.

When I returned the thing, I was considering leaving my FJR, and taking it home. Like I said, it was fun. I figured it was the kind of thing that would require a lot of attention, however. So, I asked. Paul said maintainence is nothing - Japanese. The best part, though, is parts are dirt cheap. Dirt cheap.

I was supposed to be shopping for a car, yesterday (I don't got one - kids have them all). Instead, I think I've found another bike. If you haven't seen or tried one of these 750 Shivers, then I can't recommend one enough. Forget an FZ6, a Steet Triple, or anything else in the mid-naked bike catagory. Try one of these Aprilias, first. It feels like a little more bike, and a little less mid. My guess is, you'll end up comparing the others to the Shiver, and I don't think they'll stack up as well.

Oh, well... It was a lot of fun to ride, and I just might bring the thing home. You can't go wrong, testing one out.

A buddy of mine and former Bandit owner got the first one in Portland just a little while ago. He LOVES it. It is one mean looking bike too.

I was at an aprilia dealership last week checking them out. The salesman said valve checks were every 6k miles and cost $300. Other than that everything I have heard about the bike is great. Got an OTD price of $9200.

I think what makes these bikes so cool on the road (especially the back roads) is what all the other manufacturers seem to have forgotten. Light weight is a plus.

I was at an aprilia dealership last week checking them out. The salesman said valve checks were every 6k miles and cost $300. Other than that everything I have heard about the bike is great. Got an OTD price of $9200.
The valve checks got me worried. I was told different. So, I searched. Aprilia offers free downloads of their manuals, and, since I might be interested in one, I downed it. That salesman needs some brushing-up on his products (typical). Says to check valves every 12,500miles or 24 months - same for oil changes.

That Italian oil must be somethin' else.

I like - for those of you who haven't met Mr. Shiver -

spec.jpg

It's a very nice looking bike, but I don't think it will make me want to forget the Street Triple. On paper, the Street Triple should outperform it, having more HP (106 vs 97) but weighing about 50 lbs less. The Street Triple also has a 4.6 gal fuel tank, compared to the Shiver's 4 gal. OTD prices should be in the same ballpark. The Shiver looks very classy whereas the ST speaks to my inner hooligan. I'd love to check them both out, but neither is to be found around here.

Very cool bike, MCN did a shootout last month against the street triple. Good reading

A good friend has a Touno, had to replace the headlight lens due to cracking $370.00 Aprillia is very proud of their parts WHEN you can get them.

Still, a very cool bike.