Are we witnessing the end of motorcycling?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forget about cost, fuel consumption or even going to work economically.

Millennials:

Millennials - Wikipedia

JSNS

Most of them won't ride cycles unless they ride their parents cycles OR their parents buy one for them.

They are too consumed with their hair (Cycles are far too cruel to their "Man buns".)

Selfies are just to difficult to take on a cycle and who the heck is gonna tweet while they ride.

It just takes them too far away from their Xboxes… and besides…

why ride? When you can experience it through virtual reality: Virtual reality threatens motorcycles - Motorbike Writer

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I would rather not have a generation of soap eaters on 2 wheels.
lol2.gif
lol2.gif

I have to agree with most of above. I think the biggest problems we face is Self driving everything that is coming.

I see fewer and fewer people riding, both at events and even just on the weekends. Have two nephews with licenses now, but another who doesn't ride a bicycle, much less a motorcycle. Part of the change (started to say problem, but I guess it isn't necessarily a problem) is the lack of manual transmissions in cars. Younger people never learn how to modulate friction zone application, and it's hard to ride a motorcycle without that skill.

. . . the lack of manual transmissions in cars. Younger people never learn how to modulate friction zone application, and it's hard to ride a motorcycle without that skill.
THAT is a really good point. For our generation, you almost couldn't avoid learning to shift a manual tranny; I never considered how normal that made clutching and shifting motorcycles.

Whatever the reason or reasons, the manufacturers better listen up and adjust. Whether we like the next generation or not, we need them indirectly. If they refuse to buy motorcycles, then manufacturers won't build them, or at a minimum, won't build new and innovative ones. Things on the other side of the planet are not as drastic as the United States, I think.

Regardless, demand drives supply.

redzgrider posted: . . . the lack of manual transmissions in cars. Younger people never learn how to modulate friction zone application, and it's hard to ride a motorcycle without that skill.
exskibum posted: THAT is a really good point. For our generation, you almost couldn't avoid learning to shift a manual tranny; I never considered how normal that made clutching and shifting motorcycles.
My sons were the only students in their high school who new how to drive a stick.

Someone forgot to tell my neighbor's son about this. He rides his Kaw 300 rain or shine.

I will looking out the window saying, "Damn it's to cold or wet to ride" only to see Luke heading down the street.

Backfire Moto in Seattle draws a lot of young guys and girls that really like messing with old bikes. And some are just real darn cool.

dsc09887_orig.jpg

Very cool old Wing, Dave! Only Goldwing I ever rode was back in '77 (I think - had '75 Kwak Z1 then) that belonged to a friend of my brother in law. Yellow, naked and 1100cc, IIRC. Smoother than a baby's butt to me, too (especially since my bike previous to the Z1 was a BSA 650 Thunderbolt that could numb me to my elbows).

No doubt that today's *youngsters* are individuals first, but the trends in the masses drive marketing and product development.

And now that you've resurrected old stirrings with that Wing photo: who remembers kickstarters on everything, or when electric starters just began to appear and were considered as mostly unnecessary additional weight? Who here used to kick their street bikes to life more often than thumbing it, even when you had that option?

I wonder how much of that raw and simple essence drove our generation's two wheeled affinities.

I have to agree with most of above. I think the biggest problems we face is Self driving everything that is coming.
I think the real problem with that is that there is a market for such a thing. What kind of person wants to relinquish all control of a moving vehicle to a microchip? I blame the auto makers for having made such bland vehicles that people consider driving to be a chore that they would like to avoid. It might also be the younger generations that have been raised to have limited attention spans.
Ive always enjoyed driving, and riding a motorcycle is a big step up from that in terms of vehicular involvement. My cars have mostly been manual transmissions (with a clutch), which is getting harder to find all the time. Its what differentiates driving for pleasure from a mere transportation appliance, IMO.

At least the self driving Uber thing will get a serious delay, if not an outright abandonment, after one of the test vehicles ran over a pedestrian and killed her. Sorry for the poor lady, but her contribution to society may be a huge one.

Kickstart only is the ONLY reason I sold my 76 Bonneville 750. My right ankle just wasn't up to the task all the time and I hated just seeing it sit in the garage.

My first three bikes had kickstarters. Something very satisfying about not being dependent on how well your battery is charged...not to

mention the action itself somehow made you feel more physically bond to your bike.

My first electric start bike (Seca 550) didn't even have the lever. I always thought they should include one...even if it's just part of the tool kit, on all bikes with electric starters....you know, just in case. ;)

All my cars, up to just recently, have had manual transmissions, or paddle shifters. I'm with Fred here, I enjoy driving. (And riding)

Now it seems , it's just time you can't be doing something else to most of the younger generation....few find pleasure just driving

(As witnessed by those attempting to text and drive)

Motorcycle riders have always been a "fringe group"...but I don't see the numbers here dropping much, even given the lack of interest of some.

My riding has slowed down considerably. Life is just to busy and I seem to punish myself with more it. I keep looking forward to retirement and gaining some free time to allow me to ride more. For the first time I put my bike away for the winter accept for a few rides around the block on warmer days. Will this trend of mine keep going?

I hope not,

Dave

Still riding as much as I can, somewhat choosier though, no night riding, smaller bikes, FJR and V-strom 1000, let the 921lb wing go. Anyone notice the changes in Motorcyclist and Cycle world ? I have dropped them both.

Kick starters suck, only used them in my early dualsport years. Having to kick that single after crashing on a steep up hill off camber pos dirt trail sucked.
Did I mention kick starters suck?
my yammie RT400 kickstarter almost broke my ankle-it liked to kick back--actually that bike could cause pain in many ways....

Suzuki and BMW were both there with demos along with many other smaller vendors - they just didn't want to pay the Speedway slot fee and setup at local dealer lots. Dumb move IMO as most people will not want or have the time to go all around the city for that stuff to multiple locations unless they have multiple days.

Still riding as much as I can, somewhat choosier though, no night riding, smaller bikes, FJR and V-strom 1000, let the 921lb wing go. Anyone notice the changes in Motorcyclist and Cycle world ? I have dropped them both.
I got my Cycle World yesterday. New look, for sure. Don't really like it, no letters column , and no service either. Looks better on the coffee table I guess, but I don't have a coffee table. Likely won't renew my subscription.Has Motorcyclist gone the same route? I know they are owned by the same company....which is weird

Anyone notice the changes in Motorcyclist and Cycle world ? I have dropped them both.
Hard not to notice the changes, much harder to find any content worth reading. I do not plan to renew, until then they might be useful for cat litter....if I had a cat.

Anyone notice the changes in Motorcyclist and Cycle world ? I have dropped them both.
Hard not to notice the changes, much harder to find any content worth reading. I do not plan to renew, until then they might be useful for cat litter....if I had a cat.
I'd offer the loan of a cat but I only have one.
smile.png

Not real impressed with the new CW but I only subscribed because with the promotion at the time it worked out to .69 cents an issue. I doubt it's worth that now.