Are we witnessing the end of motorcycling?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ a wide generalization, but I have to agree in part. The vast amount of HD riders I've come in contact with, and that includes a few relatives, are all flag wavers, "anti liberal" and bigoted. Not that I'm going to say that's a bad thing....(as avoiding making this political.) but it definitely isn't the "image" younger buyers are looking for.

If Harley Davidson wants to move ahead in the market, they definitely need to abandon the "bad ass"

stereotype in their marketing and turn to the retro and technical selling points. But I'm afraid they don't want to abandon what they have been doing, and thus will, more than likely, return to being once again, a company on the brink of failure.

I bet their international sales will rise, but domestically they are going to continue to suffer.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s quite a broad generalization. I’ll opine that “hate” is not that widespread or universal. I know a number of professionals from different backgrounds and of different races who ride HD. I think HD is declining due to price and pirate clothing. Every year that goes by, the ludicrousness of pirate costumes stands out more and more. I know my aerostich looks like an old man’s astronaut suit. Better that protective gear than the S&M swashbuckler.

My very limited experience with H-D dealerships: A buddy works part-time at the dealership in affluent north Atlanta, and has gotten me out three or four times for their test drive weekends.

When I first walked into the dealership, I immediately knew I was in the wrong place. Every male had at least one of these items: leather, bandanna, visible tattoos, skull rings, ponytail, and/or heavy work boots. My mesh armored pants and white "urban" Alpinestar boots relegated me even farther out of the crowd.

How is that atmosphere comfortable to a thirty-something consumer, especially a beginner or a female? Especially one that doesn't identify as a Son of Anarchy or a Hell's Angel?

I see a lot of guys on rice cruisers made up the same way
bad.gif

I see a lot of guys on rice cruisers made up the same way
bad.gif
I do too. However, they don't wrap their bike in the American flag and look down their noses at those who choose to buy and ride bikes made in Japan, Italy, or Germany the way that most (not all, of course) of the HD crowd does.

Several years ago, one of the Iron Butt Rally riders had this sticker on his rice burner: I LOVE THE SMELL OF BURNT RICE

I do my best to stay out of cities, even towns. You're hauling ass down the beltway. You don't see any bikes. There's a reason for that... two reasons. Nobody with any sense does it and many of those that did it, are gone.

I've been run over TWICE by people with their noses in their phones, their thumbs on their screens and their heads up their asses. And there are a lot more people now... a LOT more.

On balance, the circumstance of riding gas changed, and changed drastically. The fact that people who have not ridden do not choose to begin riding is the logical, and inevitable result.

I don't know why I still ride but I suspect the stubbornness, which is a product of old age. The same stubbornness that killed many friends, faced with the choice of quitting smoking, or quitting living. I condemn and ridicule those people but, when the subject changes, I am just like them :(

I want to end this message with a call, to credence.

We are, indeed, a dying breed but we are running against the wind, just like everyone else. Treasure your BROTHERS on two wheels. Today may be the last time you see them. Contemplate the extreme good fortune that has allowed you to live, the life you have chosen. "... treat your life, for what it's worth, and live for every breath..." (A National Acrobat - BLACK SABBATH).

Stand tall - not just physically but mentally, and spiritually. Close your eyes. Feel the power rise, within you. Grasp the handlebar. Push the red button. Feel and know that... indescribable desire, about to be fulfilled; the thing we have, in common. Put that puppy in gear and...

I am proud; perhaps not deserving of my place, among you. Warp speed :)

I do my best to stay out of cities, even towns. You're hauling ass down the beltway. You don't see any bikes. There's a reason for that... two reasons. Nobody with any sense does it and many of those that did it, are gone.
I've been run over TWICE by people with their noses in their phones, their thumbs on their screens and their heads up their asses. And there are a lot more people now... a LOT more.

On balance, the circumstance of riding gas changed, and changed drastically. The fact that people who have not ridden do not choose to begin riding is the logical, and inevitable result.

I don't know why I still ride but I suspect the stubbornness, which is a product of old age. The same stubbornness that killed many friends, faced with the choice of quitting smoking, or quitting living. I condemn and ridicule those people but, when the subject changes, I am just like them
sad.png

We are, indeed, a dying breed but we are running against the wind, just like everyone else. Treasure your BROTHERS on two wheels. Today may be the last time you see them. Contemplate the extreme good fortune that has allowed you to live, the life you have chosen. "... treat your life, for what it's worth, and live for every breath..." (A National Acrobat - BLACK SABBATH).

Stand tall - not just physically but mentally, and spiritually. Close your eyes. Feel the power rise, within you. Grasp the handlebar. Push the red button. Feel and know that... indescribable desire, about to be fulfilled; the thing we have, in common. Put that puppy in gear and...

I am proud; perhaps not deserving of my place, among you. Warp speed
smile.png
Being proud of being included in this group is like being proud of being the most virtuous working girl in a brothel.

I don't know why I still ride but I suspect the stubbornness, which is a product of old age. The same stubbornness that killed many friends, faced with the choice of quitting smoking, or quitting living. I condemn and ridicule those people but, when the subject changes, I am just like them
sad.png

I am proud; perhaps not deserving of my place, among you. Warp speed
smile.png
More buck for your bang... what can I say?

I don't think we're witnessing the end of motorcycling. We are definitely witnessing the downward slide for big bikes (Harleys, Wings, FJRs) as the demand for different types of two-wheel transport begins to rise: electric motorcycles, motorized bicycles, and a wider use of scooters and mopeds.

A close family friend asked me last week about riding. He's thinking of buying an electric motorcycle that he can plug in (cheap fuel) and ride for his 10-mile commute every day. He's 35 years old, and doesn't know how to work a clutch and manual transmission, so the electric motorcycle is his ticket to a cheap commute, wiggling around traffic jams, and (perhaps) access to the HOV lanes inside Atlanta's Perimeter.

My only advice: take the rider safety course, wear your gear, and zero drinking and riding.

I've noticed a decline in numbers of trailered bikes to Daytona on 95 in VA this year.

Many Harley guys know nothing of racing activities in Daytona. Watched the crowds change from the 70's with hardcore bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts, to the current poseurs in the majority.

With no intention of hijacking this thread, I'd like to know what qualifies a person as a "poser?"

I don't think we are witnessing the end of motorcycling but participation in Basic Rider Courses in North Dakota are down about 15 to 20% over the last few years. I would say that this is some real objective data. On line registration for my MSF Basic Rider Course and Experienced Rider Course classes started last Wednesday and the classes are filling very slowly. It doesn't help that it still looks like the middle of February around here but early registration for classes is usually frantic the first week or two.

Other objective data I've observed is we've lost KTM, Suzuki, and Triumph at our local dealerships and more and more of the show room floor is getting swallowed up by boats, four wheelers, and side by sides. The Fargo metro area is nearly 250,000 people with a huge rural area to draw from so its sad when you go to the dealerships to look at the new models and find nothing. The clothing, and accessories departments have also been shrinking but I'm guessing that can be attributed to online retailers moving into the market.

"With no intention of hijacking this thread, I'd like to know what qualifies a person as a "poser?""

Next time our paths cross, remind me to tell you the story about the two posers I met in Tennessee.

"When we ride, we RIDE!!!"

"With no intention of hijacking this thread, I'd like to know what qualifies a person as a "poser?""
Next time our paths cross, remind me to tell you the story about the two posers I met in Tennessee.

"When we ride, we RIDE!!!"
The best (?) part of mc-ing - the STORIES!

All I can say is, one man's poser is another man's hoser
hyper.gif

Latest posts