auto clutch or manual?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am torn between the two fjr's... a 06 auto or the burgandy 07 manual...just don't know which one to get. Are there many issues with the auto clutch, can youn ride it aggressively. I'm sorry if this a old question but i just need to know, are there any issues with either model?

Lots of people like their AE's. I haven't heard of very many wanting to sell them and go back to the manual clutch. And they're the only ones available in that nice-looking Cerulean, other than the '04. :rolleyes:

They are so different..... i saw a new o8 AE at tha AMA and FIM here in utah the Charcoal,,,,, graphite.... colerish.. sumbitch was NIiiiiiiceeeee

I would buy another AE.. Come to my place and I will let you spend a day on My AE... but bring someting for me to ride that is insured, mine is... Hehe.. <tru dat

I am torn between the two fjr's... a 06 auto or the burgandy 07 manual...just don't know which one to get. Are there many issues with the auto clutch, can youn ride it aggressively. I'm sorry if this a old question but i just need to know, are there any issues with either model?
Just choose whichever one you want the most. Buy YES on it and enjoy. I bought an 08 with the clutch. I enjoy driving a car with a manual transmission and enjoy driving a motorcycle with one as well. It is just my preference and adds to the experience for me. For others they enjoy not having to use the clutch. Simply preference.

Whatever you decide congratulation on your decision to get a Feejer and enjoy.

Either is a great choice, and both can be ridden agressively. Only issues I found with the AE were hitting the horn button on downshifts for the first few miles, and not having a sore clutch hand in traffic.

Remember it is a touring bike... At least that's what I convinced my insurance agent :lol: , so it's not quite as agile as a true sports machine, but it's pretty close.

Major issue with both models is farkling sicknes, but that just makes it even more fun, until the credit card statement arrives.

Try and blag a test ride on both and see what your gut tells you.

Either is a great choice, and both can be ridden agressively. Only issues I found with the AE were hitting the horn button on downshifts for the first few miles, and not having a sore clutch hand in traffic.
Remember it is a touring bike... At least that's what I convinced my insurance agent :lol: , so it's not quite as agile as a true sports machine, but it's pretty close.

Major issue with both models is farkling sicknes, but that just makes it even more fun, until the credit card statement arrives.

Try and blag a test ride on both and see what your gut tells you.

Had to laugh at the horn button mention! Glad I'm not the only one. My thumb learned fast. :rolleyes:

Also, pretty much just paddle up and down with the "upshift" now, per recommendation I read here online. Almost redlined yesterday: forgot to engage the auto!

All in all: excellent for city driving and all-round.

I've had my 06 AE for a week and love it. I see no problem riding it aggressively. It isn't quite as nimble as my R1150R, so I can't take corners quite as fast. But it has plenty of power and you can tap into it at will. The AE does take a careful technique at low speed maneuvering, since you can't feather the clutch. But that's just a matter of getting used to it.

I ride mine pretty aggressively. No burn outs or wheelies. But if you ride in any traffic at all, consistently: the AE is the way to go. The shifting is smooth. I have almost 16K on my 07, no problems at all yet...

Just have to get used to it in slow speed maneuvers. Little rear trail breaking does it fine. It'll probably take 30 minutes to get it down pat.

I ride mine pretty aggressively. No burn outs or wheelies. But if you ride in any traffic at all, consistently: the AE is the way to go. The shifting is smooth. I have almost 16K on my 07, no problems at all yet...
Just have to get used to it in slow speed maneuvers. Little rear trail breaking does it fine. It'll probably take 30 minutes to get it down pat.

+1 on dat

Last edited by a moderator:
Every day I ride mine (06 AE), I like it better. I have been riding and racing 50 years, and this thing is the trick. It is a real clutch...in fact, the same clutch as the standard bike, just operated electrohydralically by a computer when you move the "shift lever" or the handlebar paddle. I find myself never using the paddle...no real reason to. No problems with mine. Like others say, just drag a bit of rear brake and you can "slip" the clutch by feathering the throttle in slow tight turns. In some ways, it is actually easier to do in slow speed maneuvers than coordinating clutch and throttle...but different.

You can't go wrong with either...great bike the FJR.

Ed

according to my local police chief i have no problems riding my 07 ae aggressively :p

Primary point of my post: I have an AE. I got it NOT to avoid clutching, but to avoid shifting with my left foot. A lot of miles on an ST1100 and its poorly designed shift lever (it rolls across the joint on my big toe) gave me accute arthritis in that joint. Although the ST1100 is gone, this little gift remains. :angry03:

Semi-pointless part of my post: Every once in a while, it will flare up again... like a few weeks ago. I had been riding a couple of hundred miles a day every day, enjoying the wonderful Spring weather, and by Memorial Day, my toe was in trouble again.

I did not realize that you could move the shift function on the AE to the left handlebar control, so I bought a Burgman. Gosh, it was easy on my foot... but mighty hard on my psyche. Oh - the Shame - :to_become_senile: ... I did enjoy the Burgman owner's discount at the Country Kitchen Buffet though, as long as the Burgie was in the parking lot by 4 pm....

I discovered the AE's ability to go left footless about 10 days ago, and I bought a leftover 06 this past week. I LOVE it.

The Burgman went to the showroom at a friend's Suzuki dealership at 6 pm on Wednesday, and it sold to the first tire kicker. :yahoo: :drinks: Man folks love those suckers. There's no accounting for taste.

I am in 7th heaven with the FJR. It is sooooo much nicer than my ST1100, the ST1300 that I rented a while back, my V-Strom 1000, my Moto Guzzi Norge, and the list goes on... If my foot keeps on giving trouble, I have a feeling that me and the AE are going to be fast friends. Literally. :friends:

Of course I can always ride my 1970 Royal Enfield 750 Interceptor Mk II around. Its got that old sensible right hand gear box, with first up, and 2 through 4 down... and that innovative "automatic neutral finder."

Totally pointless part of my post: I have an oddball FJR... My leftover 06 AE was beneficiary/victim of a tupperware transplant. Someone wanted the silver color of the 06 AE but they wanted on 07 A. The dealership made the trade and so I may have the only Black Cherry 06 AE out there. No, I didn't pay a premium for this wonderful mod. The dealer probably paid the premium... its a leftover 06, remember. I'd hate to eat that floor plan.

I asked the usual questions, i.e. was there crate damage, did someone drop it in a demo... everyone stuck to the same story of the swap. Bike came with MSO, so my title is the first one. No signs of any frame painting, straightening, or rewelding. I used to be a Honda service manager (35+ years ago) so I have some idea of how to sniff out a story. I think its legitimate. The plastic swap helped with negotiation, and they assure me that they will back up the story if I decide to sell and have to deal with skeptics.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 07 AE is the closest to me getting a paddle shifting Ferrari in my lifetime. Added the Leo Vince and after a 1000 miles they are barking pretty good. It feels as fast as my Monster S4RS but it is a bit slower in reality. Don't you love those quick downshifts before a corner and the quick upshifts coming out. All your attention is on picking the best line.