Auxiliary light mounts and brackets from Alex

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is looking over my shoulder right now as I follow the link to the smugmug image.

"It's almost as if you're looking at a babe in a bathing suit!" [ Mocking]"Wow look at the jugs on that one." [ /Mocking]

I could tell you how nice I think those are, but I thought it would mean more if you heard the words of someone witnessing my admiration.

Beautiful, Really.

I discovered an issue with the mounts on my '08.

Notice with the stock windshield in its lowest position there is maybe 1mm clearance between the rear inboard edge of the mount and the shield:

However there isn't any interference raising or lowering the shield.

Then I mounted my V-Stream. The mounts contact the edge of the VS in the full down position and for about 1/4" or so as the shield is raised, after which the shield clears the mount:

Given how much the VS flexes this will lead to some amount of scarring on the shield. I'll take the stocker on the freeway later today to see if it flexes enough to interfere with the mount at higher speeds/turbulence.

I PM'd Alex but haven't heard a response yet. Seems the fix would be fairly simple; elongate the mounting holes on the mount so it slides down a bit.

Fantastic images Good2Go!

Those clearances are too close to avoid touching at some point. I thought I had the worst case scenario with my vstream using the 1/4 spacer to tilt the screen back. My results were a bit more clearance, but not much.

The mirror mounting holes in the brackets are slightly larger than the mirror studs. You might try adjusting them my loosening up the 2 mirror nuts and then twisting them away from the screen before tightening them back down.

If anyone has a similar issue that cannot be easily resolved by the above process, I will find a way to make it right. The 2 options that come to mind are to have an arc cut in the bracket instead if the straight line, or I can grind out the area for clearance and repowder coat.

PS: Man those lights are nice, where did you source them from?

Those clearances are too close to avoid touching at some point. I thought I had the worst case scenario with my vstream using the 1/4 spacer to tilt the screen back. My results were a bit more clearance, but not much.

The mirror mounting holes in the brackets are slightly larger than the mirror studs. You might try adjusting them my loosening up the 2 mirror nuts and then twisting them away from the screen before tightening them back down.

If anyone has a similar issue that cannot be easily resolved by the above process, I will find a way to make it right. The 2 options that come to mind are to have an arc cut in the bracket instead if the straight line, or I can grind out the area for clearance and repowder coat.

Cool...thanks for the quick response Alex.

What's the "1/4 spacer to tilt the screen back"? The pics are with the mounts as far down as they'll go with the existing mounting holes. I've fiddled with it, but the V-stream is just too thick. I'm using the stock screen as it's getting too warm for the VS around here. If the 1/4 spacer doesn't fix it I'll send the mounts back to you for clearancing.

p.s. lights

Are these to be a "limited" run, or do you anticipate having them available for an extended time?
I will have another group produced. I've sold out of the mounts for the mirrors. Only had a few run at first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex,

I received the mounts this weekend. Nice job!

I think they'll support the SOLTEK's very nicely once I get the bike put back together.

Cheers,

Derek

Here's mine, nice work Eric.

013.jpg

013.jpg
Pons, hope you don't mind me blowing that picture up.......

100325PonsBracket.jpg

Man-0-Man, those look awesome. Those brackets sure seem to be the Bee's Knees.

...and those lights, those look like a hundred bucks!! (each of course) ;-)

can't wait to get mine.

can't wait to get mine.
Uhhhh.....snippy?

Those be the REAL deal. Shame on you dissing his Solteks that way comparing them to the cheap-os. :finger:

Nice brackets Alex. I think I am going to try a set. My only concern is interference with my Rifle (w/tuning block) windscreen.

can't wait to get mine.
Uhhhh.....snippy?

Those be the REAL deal.
Ah sheeeeiiittt

Thousand pardons. I thought those were the china ones, please accept my apologies. No 'diss intended.

The brackets look great, the light are much brighter than I am.

Dim in reno ...John

Can the lights be mounted to the front of the bracket instead of on top?

Does anyone used lower profile (rectangular) lights to make it look less......well..... "froggy"?

Ribbit.

Does anyone used lower profile (rectangular) lights to make it look less......well..... "froggy"?

Ribbit.
I think you'd have to fabricate a mount that came up an forward from the bracket to do what you want.

What do you have against frogs anyway? :D

can't wait to get mine.
Uhhhh.....snippy?

Those be the REAL deal. Shame on you dissing his Solteks that way comparing them to the cheap-os. :finger:

Nice brackets Alex. I think I am going to try a set. My only concern is interference with my Rifle (w/tuning block) windscreen.
Thanks SkooterG. My next batch will be clearanced with an arc to allow more room for aftermarket changes. I will post up images of the slight change, but that should eliminate any concern of contact with the windscreen.

Ribbit.
I think you'd have to fabricate a mount that came up an forward from the bracket to do what you want.

What do you have against frogs anyway? :D

No problem with frogs, just don't want my bike to look like one.

Do you want the lights up high like that so you can adjust them on the fly? Has anyone mounted them under the nose (right beneath the headlights)?

Do you want the lights up high like that so you can adjust them on the fly?
The higher off the ground the lights are the farther down the road you can see.

Also to eliminate the moment arm created by mounting the lights oriented outside the vertical centerline of the mirror mount

Has anyone mounted them under the nose (right beneath the headlights)?
If you do put them there make sure the fender wont take em out when you hit a big bump

013.jpg
Pons, hope you don't mind me blowing that picture up.......

100325PonsBracket.jpg

can't wait to get mine.
My wife asked if the lights were big enough (sarcastic). I had Hellas just as big on my last bike. The beauty here is how their mounted. Up high where they'll do some real good.

can't wait to get mine.
Uhhhh.....snippy?

He's just jealous....... B) Can't be any worse then the Hellas I had except now there mounted correctly

I admire your customer service commitment but wouldn't it be easier for the user to just trim (dremel, sander, etc...) the windshield a bit? 10 minutes = problem solved. I think you can't be expected to anticipate whatever aftermarket windshield and mounting method every user will come up with.