Backoff

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started out with HyperLites on the brakes of the 05. Beware that the flashing brake light solutions tend to detract from the visibility of the turn signals. My turns on the 05 got noticed a lot less until I added LEDs to the turns also.

[is this a plug and play unit or is there a bit of cutting and splicing involved? How hard to access the wires?
I installed the wig-wag version. You need to open a loom under the seat with a blade to find the wires, then cut them and splice in the unit. Same at the brake lamps, where things are a little tight. I did it with crimp-on connectors so I could just bypass the unit if it failed. This takes a little planning to get the male-female connectors right.

Ken C

Same thing, easire install is the Tail blazer bulbs from Kisan. Just replace bulbs with these and they do all the flashy stuff. Brighter (halogen) too. Plug and play.

If you want to do the other, i might suggest posi taps. Then you don't need to cut any wires. That's how I wired a signal dynamics led bar. Makes it a five minute job. It goes back and forth anytime the ignition is on. Real eye catcher I'm told. However, it doesn't work with the brakelights like its' supposed to...I'm guessing due to the tailblazers.

Dutch1201
like de Dutch - I'm pleased with the Kisan tailblazer bulbs - plug and play - no splicing required - fast and easy. Spendy little buggers though - but good.

try here: https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=3

cheers!

How do you access the OEM bulbs to install the Kisan unit's? Do you remove the tailight lens or do you access them from under the passenger seat?

Anyone try Kisan's headlight modulator?

Access the tail lights via under the passenger seat. Very easy install - just swap out the OEM bulb and put in the TailBlazers. I have the Tailblazers in conjunction with the Hyperlites. Very noticeable!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Back-off module connected to an Electrical Connection license frame with a row of LEDs along the top. It adds a little light to the rear and a little braking conspicuity.

Total cost was about $60.

I bought a 6 LED Peterson light that works the same way from a local auto supply. Flash twice, off - flash twice, off.It cost about $60 but has the modulation built right into the circuitry.

Ran two wires up into the rear storage compartment (if you can call it that!!!) and spliced into one of the brake light circuits - hot and ground. didn't cut any wires - just used the quick connects.

The neat trick about this one is that there's an external mount that you can get that fits almost perfectly where the reflector mounts down below the license plate. Looks really good and is very bright...

Check it out here:

https://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm?cId=1...59&pId=2312
That site doesn't seem to be too user friendly. What is the model you got and what is the bracket number?

Dutch1201
I hera ya' on the "user friendly"!!

I got it an auto - truck supply that had several versions in stock. They even hooked them up to a battery to show me the diff. You might try shops that sell strobe lights and do work on various larger vehicles that need warning lights and markers - they should be able to help you out.

The light I got was 153SR-1. This is a three wire setup, but you don't use one wire at all unless you want to sync two lights together. The "R" in the number stands for red. The lights are also available in amber and clear. The lights all fit the same mounting bracket - just diff color lights. As I said, this thing fits almost perfectly where the reflector mounts. Drill a few holes for some screws which don't show) and one for the wiring to pass through. I wired it in parallel, so the brake lights will still function if this should quit working for some reason. These are bright and a great attention getter.

No - I do not own stock in the company!!! :rolleyes: