Bag Liners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this has been done before but here it is again.

While we in Canada pay way more for our bikes we get less. No liners with our bikes from new. I bought the Yamaha liners for something like $110 after picking the bike up. The seam let go on one and a local shoe repair guy fixed it for about $10.

I like them when travelling and the hard bags stay on the bike and less likely to be scratched. I couldn't imagine touring without the liners.

When I bought my 2009 I was dubious about the liners. Never had them on other bikes and I was skeptical. But hey on my recent 2000 and 3000 mile trips I became a believer. I liked leaving the hard bags on the bike. The packed gear in the bags were light and easy to carry into the motel or tent. Also unlike other hard bags I wasn't worried about rain getting into clothing. I like the liners.

Bill

I've been using the same OEM liners for 7 years. No splits in the seams or anything. Pretty well made if you ask me. I suppose some could be defective.

GP

My liners are over 3 years old now and no splits either. I am pretty careful with the zippers and don't throw them around. The left one that I use daily to carry my stuff to work is getting worn along the bottom where it gets set down, but I would expect that out of any bag.

The top seams of the OE bags do split when you use them well stuffed with clothes and carry them in and out of hotels etc., not when they are just used inside the bags to just hold your commuter stuff. Both of my OEM bags did that (the seams split), perhaps coincidentally after the missus had been using that side. :rolleyes:

Being a member of the Possum Lodge (if not handsome, the ladies do find me handy) I was going to just patch them up with massive quantities of "the handyman's secret weapon", but instead broke down and got out a sewing needle and some heavy thread and re-stitched the blown out seams. The reason that they blow out is because the original stitching doesn't have enough of a seam allowance. The stitching just pulls out through the edge of the cloth. Just be sure to leave yourself a bigger seam allowance when you restitch and it'll hold the full bag capacity with no more blowing out problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture of my bags being used this last weekend when I got to my room. My Yamaha bags came with my bike and I use them all of the time and no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also A Canadian my bike did not come with bag liners. I went to Mountain Equipmemt Co-op and purchased water proof bags for camping or canoeing that you roll up to fit your bags.They were far cheaper and I have used them sucessfully on rides. I got mine in two different colours so that I could remember what was in each one and when my wife comes along I know which one is hers. These folks have stores in the Calgary or Edmonton and on line.

Good luck, Gary

Hey Gary. I'm in Edmonton also. Any certain bag you bought? and how did they fit in the hard bags? The reason I was looking at the proper soft bags is that they are shaped like hard bags, so makeing use of all the room.

I just bought a bike that came with two sets of genuine Yamaha bags. The second set is still sealed in factory packaging. I'm willing to sell them if anyone is interested (one set is sufficient for me). Send PM.