Barbarian Jumper Mod on 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote name='MAJ Todd' date='Nov 8 2007, 07:55 AM' post='329626'

Thank you and I will read all those threads, it's just most assume you know the basics, and I don't, yet. Why do people do this mod?

The main reason appears to be that by increasing the CO settings the engine runs somewhat smoother (richer) at low rpm and reduces the "surging" felt under those conditions.

By doing the "jumper mod" you can change the CO settings yourself. Trial and error could be used to obtain a better set of numbers but with four different pipes, it seems that would not be the best route to go. You really need to analyze the gas at each pipe (there is a series of recent posts done by the FJR group in Germany who have done this) in order to get the correct setting and I don't know if the results gained would be worth the costs. It just boils down to time and money.

You can read more about this under the "New ECU 2006-2007 Barbarian jumper mod" thread.

Capt. Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
On this subject....

I have an '07 surgio... getting my New ECU tomorrow.

Has anyone done Barbarian mod on New ECU '07s And did it work, or will I have to be guinnee pig?

Yup. I run the barbarian mod +4. My bike seems to like +4 better than it liked +7.
Thanks buddy. I was a little confused about how the wires come out, but will figure it out when I see the darn thing, I guess. The most trouble seems to be pushing the plug out, no?

Will do the swap tomorrow, but will wait to adjust it until I see the need. Bike has just 45 miles. If I can live with the slight surging at altitude, will leave it alone, as I'm sure the cat don't like that extra fuel. And I'd definitely start with +4, like you did, and go up if necessary. Hey, what else can be changed on the diagnostic mode? Does anybody have the official procedure how to change all the available parameters, their possible values, etc? Maybe from across the pond? Thanks.

JC
I did mine last night (will get to ride it tomorrow to see how it feels). I took a paperclip and got the white plug out without any problems but couldn't get the wire out. Took a very small drill bit (stiffer than the paperclip) and a set of pliers and pushed it right out. My settings were 5,18,18,21

On this subject....I have an '07 surgio... getting my New ECU tomorrow.Has anyone done Barbarian mod on New ECU '07s And did it work, or will I have to be guinnee pig?
I went in this morning to the dealer. Got surge protector ECU installed. Rode home and did the mod when I got home. They obviously don't set the ECU up for your bike. Or it wouldn't be the same on so many bikes. My new ECU was 5 18 18 21. I went up by four on each and then went and rode town a little Errands :angry2: but on the bike :yahoo: It Idles better and parking lots better. But thats about all I know for now. Nothin over about 45.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning on doing this mod over the winter and I was wondering about 2 things:

1. Has anyone ever gone "backwards" to their original CO settings and try to see if the original throttle response of the bike changed back?

2. Or has anyone ever done a double blind test to see if an owner can tell if his bike has been adjusted or set back to factory?

V65Mike