Battery died any other way to start?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well tried to go for a ride yesterday but the battery would not do it. Is there any other way to start the bike or maybe have a spare quick alternative start to not get stranded somewhere should this ever happen again. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks

You can jump start from another vehicle, like your car, but keep the car engine off so the charging system in the car doesn't overwhelm the bike's battery.

If you have some left in your battery but just not enough to run the starter you may be able to push start. With the key on and the bike in neutral, get someone to push you by hand until you get going as fast as they can push, then put it in second and let the clutch out.

If the push start works and you need to shut the bike down while on the road, park where you can roll it downhill to restart if necessary.
Spoken like a true NON-AE owner. :rofl:
https://weather.aol.com/forecast/todays/usa/new-york/shandaken/id/12480 RH, go easy on Geezer; poor old Greg's brain is frozen, only 29 fecking degrees in Shandaken, NY!

I just put it in second...make my boys push the bike...then let out the clutch...starts right up.

I am being a Jack Wagon...Is it Friday??

I have jumped mine before. I raised and lowered the window many times removing the plastics, as well as leaving the power on while redoing the speedos.

I dropped the voltage down to about 10.5v. It was enough to hear the fuel pump clicking. Tried the push start. Only takes about 3-4 tries before you are whooped.

Went and bought jumper cables. I hooked em up like you would to jump another car, an the bike fired right up.

My bike has a tender cable hanging off it. Not sure if that is heavy duty enough to jump though, wouldnt try it unless that was the only option.

If you are ever down near Tampa, lets ride.

I keep my bike in a storage unit. I am thinking it would be a good idea to remove the battery for the winter and bring it in my apartment to keep it on a tender.

...Not sure if that is heavy duty enough to jump though, wouldnt try it unless that was the only option.

Probably not, but you can leave them connected (car engine off) for ten minutes or half an hour. This may well put sufficient charge into the bike's battery for it to start.

...I am thinking it would be a good idea to remove the battery for the winter and bring it in my apartment to keep it on a tender.
Why do you need jumper cables in Florida????

Are the roads that boring down there that you just have to give it a rest every so often? Seriously. If it's legit, I will understand...I'm just trying to figure it out.

signed,

confused in the frozen tundra of Chicagoland

Yeah, I did not look to see that the OP was talking about an AE. :blush:

Regarding push starting an FJR, non AE, I have done that successfully on flat ground with one rider and one pusher. We each had an FJR with low batteries and they both started up by pushing and popping the clutch in second gear once moving.

Also, I have jump started a motorcycle from my car in the past, not my FJR, but it works.

...I am thinking it would be a good idea to remove the battery for the winter and bring it in my apartment to keep it on a tender.

Are the roads that boring down there that you just have to give it a rest every so often? Seriously. If it's legit, I will understand...I'm just trying to figure it out.

signed,

Don't try figuring it out....he's from frikkin' Florida, fer Crissakes!

signed,

Don't try figuring it out....he's from frikkin' Florida, fer Crissakes!
+1, Gunny!

WOW, there are some real a-holes on here! I am the wife and let me just say to the a-holes, this is a fairly new hobby for hubby and the first time something's went wrong ...so he was just asking for advice NOT TO BE MADE FUN OF...and FYI He is a Spec ED teacher with a Masters Degree from USF; grad w/ a 3.8 GPA. So do not assume all Floridians are stupid!

From the BITCH that rides on the back!!!!

signed,

He just bought the bike used, went to go ride it and the battery was dead! At least we can ride year round, enjoy your snowed in 6 months! I will take the straight roads in 70 degree weather over yours anyday!

WOW, there are some real a-holes on here! I am the wife and let me just say to the a-holes, this is a fairly new hobby for hubby and the first time something's went wrong ...so he was just asking for advice NOT TO BE MADE FUN OF...
To the Bitch (as that is the self identified name, at least so far): Believe it or not, the off topic comments were not intended as personal insults from the peanut gallery. They bring fun and love to this Forum in the same way that the Three Stooges show affection and caring for each other by slapping, poking and cruel name calling. This was their over the top way of saying that they were surprised that a FJR in balmy warm Fla would sit long enough for the battery to go flat. I'm not defending the rogues gallery, just saying that this is the way they have fun and it isn't personal. When it gets personal there is usually blood on the floor <_< On the whole, every topic seems to have some that paddle on the left, some that paddle on the right and the topic ends up lurching down the middle.

If it gets to the point that you or hubby feels that the hyperbole humor(?) is too much, you can go to the upper right of the page and click on the little down arrow next to your Forum name. In the drop down menu click on Settings. From the left side of the page that opens, under Your Options click on Profile. On the left side of the page that opens is the tab that says Manage Ignored Users, click it. Now, add everyone's name that you feel needs to go. Be sure to click the box for Ignore Posts. Voila, goons be gone.

I'm afraid your comments may actually bring the worst out in some of offenders that you mention, ignore them and the dust will settle. The timing is a bit unfortunate because Fridays have become sort of a free-for-all day.

So, is your FJR running again? How long had it sat before you discovered the battery was flat? Hopefully the problem was just from sitting too long. It could be that the battery is bad or some electrical add-on may be causing the battery to drain.

Now it's a party! :graduated: And it's Friday! :aaevil:
Dear Mrs. Wenmark, On behalf of entire FJR Forum, I want to sincerely apologize for the behavior of wheatonFJR & RadioHowie: Both are a pair of REAL ASSHOLES!!!

And this is coming from the one who gave the +1 Gunny to the posters, I do not find your post Sincere!

WOW, there are some real a-holes on here! I am the wife and let me just say to the a-holes, this is a fairly new hobby for hubby and the first time something's went wrong ...so he was just asking for advice NOT TO BE MADE FUN OF...
To the Bitch (as that is the self identified name, at least so far): Believe it or not, the off topic comments were not intended as personal insults from the peanut gallery. They bring fun and love to this Forum in the same way that the Three Stooges show affection and caring for each other by slapping, poking and cruel name calling. This was their over the top way of saying that they were surprised that a FJR in balmy warm Fla would sit long enough for the battery to go flat. I'm not defending the rogues gallery, just saying that this is the way they have fun and it isn't personal. When it gets personal there is usually blood on the floor <_< On the whole, every topic seems to have some that paddle on the left, some that paddle on the right and the topic ends up lurching down the middle.

If it gets to the point that you or hubby feels that the hyperbole humor(?) is too much, you can go to the upper right of the page and click on the little down arrow next to your Forum name. In the drop down menu click on Settings. From the left side of the page that opens, under Your Options click on Profile. On the left side of the page that opens is the tab that says Manage Ignored Users, click it. Now, add everyone's name that you feel needs to go. Be sure to click the box for Ignore Posts. Voila, goons be gone.

I'm afraid your comments may actually bring the worst out in some of offenders that you mention, ignore them and the dust will settle. The timing is a bit unfortunate because Fridays have become sort of a free-for-all day.

So, is your FJR running again? How long had it sat before you discovered the battery was flat? Hopefully the problem was just from sitting too long. It could be that the battery is bad or some electrical add-on may be causing the battery to drain.

He has no Idea I have posted anything as of yet. He went to get a new battery and left this thread up on the puter , I read it and felt inclined to post MY take on the matter NOT his! I normally do not get into his matters and he can certainly stand up for himself if he needs too. I also ride single horse power and have a horse show, so I am gone .....Thanks for post!!

Last edited by a moderator:
He has no Idea I have posted anything as of yet. He went to get a new battery and left this thread up on the puter , I read it and felt inclined to post MY take on the matter NOT his! I normally do not get into his matters and he can certainly stand up for himself if he needs too... I am gone...
Now that's funny. So many comments could follow this.

I foresee a password protected computer in Wenmark's future.

I wonder how many other things in Wenmark's life that his wife has turned into a shit storm then she runs off.

Wait until the Bitch finds out that hubby grained up her horse (for you non horse people, sweet feed and/or large amounts of grain puts a lot of extra spirit into an otherwise placid animal - buck, kick, run 'n snort).

Nobody can run a man's personal affairs like a wife.

After reading this I'm now wondering if perhaps I should password protect my computer too.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's with the rash of all the drama lately?!?

At least this one is on Friday!

:jerry:

In all seriousness, it's a shame that guy humor was taken out of context and I hope this passes..

but in the meantime...

THIS IS F*&^ING FUNNY!!

He has no Idea I have posted anything as of yet. He went to get a new battery and left this thread up on the puter , I read it and felt inclined to post MY take on the matter NOT his! I normally do not get into his matters and he can certainly stand up for himself if he needs too... I am gone...
Now that's funny. So many comments could follow this.

I foresee a password protected computer in Wenmark's future.

I wonder how many other things in Wenmark's life that his wife has turned into a shit storm then she runs off.

Wait until the Bitch finds out that hubby grained up her horse (for you non horse people, sweet feed and/or large amounts of grain puts a lot of extra spirit into an otherwise placid animal - buck, kick, run 'n snort).

Nobody can ruin a man's personal affairs like a wife.

After reading this I'm now wondering if perhaps I should password protect my computer too.
Fixed it fer ya. :)