BBG attempt this Friday-Saturday, September 20-21

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They appear to be making good time - 17:44 at the turn-around in Cheyenne. Now the interesting part - night-riding across Nebraska and Iowa. Here in Tennessee/Kentucky the corn harvest is on which gets the deer moving a little more than usual. Not sure if that's the case through NE and IA right now, but sure makes for an interesting time while riding at night. Hope they keep their heads on a swivel and adjust their riding as necessary.

They appear to be making good time - 17:44 at the turn-around in Cheyenne. Now the interesting part - night-riding across Nebraska and Iowa. Here in Tennessee/Kentucky the corn harvest is on which gets the deer moving a little more than usual. Not sure if that's the case through NE and IA right now, but sure makes for an interesting time while riding at night. Hope they keep their heads on a swivel and adjust their riding as necessary.
It's I-80, so they should be fine. There is lot's of fencing along the corn fields near the hwy. They appear to be ahead of schedule at this point still, so shouldn't have to ride too fast.

6:03 am, CDT, home now after a successful BBG!

Jotting this quick note (under the influence of tiredness and cold) to say thanks to Tony Osobrne (Pathfinder) and Corey Neuhring (another esteemed IBR veteran, neighbor and friend) for showing up in the dark on Friday and Saturday morning to be witnesses for Phil and I. Good people, for sure.

Definitely saw deer in Nebraska, the multiple HID's showed us many that were not a threat, and a few that could have been.

Thanks to all here for the support as well.

Will add more after sleep.

All the best,

Shane

A big congrats to you and Phil! It was nice meeting you two and tailing along for a short while. All 3 gen. 1 bikes were represented! A BBG in late September along I-80 is no easy task.

Congrats!

Here's a short "just-the-numbers" epilogue after a few hours sleep Saturday morning, a full rest Saturday night, and now a 2-hour nap Sunday afternoon. Phil and I have discussed the makings of a longer rider report, and plan to begin work on that shortly, releasing most likely upon the anticipated receipt of IBA recognition documentation.

Start date: 9/20/2013

Start time: 7:05 am, central

Odometer at start: 41,287

Omaha NE fuel stop: 11:02 am, central, 283 miles

North Platte NE fuel stop: 2:33 pm, central, 267 miles

Cheyenne WY fuel stop and turnaround: 4:44, mountain, 228 miles

Cozad NE fuel stop: 9:24 pm, central, 271 miles

Date change to 9/21/2013

Underwood IA fuel stop: 1:03 am, central, 255 miles

Hiawatha IA finish: 5:02 am, central, 252 miles

Odometer at finish: 42,843

Total odometer miles: 1,556

Miles recorded by GPS: 1,526

Miles recorded by Sigma 906 cyclometer: 1,527

Total fuel pumped: 45.147 Gallons (began with empty tanks front and rear, finished with tanks 3/4 full)

Total cost of fuel: $157.20

Lowest fuel price: Omaha NE, $3.27.9 per gallon

Highest fuel price: Cozad NE, $3.97.9 per gallon

Total stopped time: 1 hour, 39 minutes

Food consumed on the clock: granola bars, water on bike hydration system

"Relief" on the clock: #1 only, at fuel stops only

Here's a picture of what two tired friends look like after the event...

IMG_20130921_051148_022_zpse572211b.jpg

I am resisting the urge to begin detailing the ride here, but the story we tell later will have a better perspective after some more thought, rest, and collaboration.

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement.

All the best,

Shane

Congrats to Shane and Phil. I recognize that fuel cell Phil.
smile.png
Glad you both had a good ride.

I do hope you ate something other than what you listed for food on the clock! There is something of an art to eating out of the tank bag while moving. Those nice burgers at the gas station that have been sitting for a while hold up well and don't come apart when you're eating them. There is usually a good array of potential food, including hot food, that you can simply toss in the tank bag and eat as you ride.

The trick is to understand what you will tolerate, but also simple things like having a spot to put trash. I long ago found some basic things that work better. No paper bags, you must be able to reach in and grab what you want by feel, and be able to dispose of the wrapper or other trash w/o looking, and to someplace other than the tankbag. Putting the trash back in the tank bag makes it that much harder to find the next meal in there. And nothing food wise that requires a napkin is good tank bag food!

My favorite is Arbys Jr. roast beef sandwiches, but I make do with McD's cheese burgers or onion chedder burgers too. Taste the same several hours later.

You guys did great! And you had two hours to spare. Nice solid ride.

Phil checking in here, I was quite a tired, and crazy looking yokel after that!!

A BIG THANK YOU TO TONY AND COREY {IRON BUTT RALLY VET'S} AND SHANE"S NEIGHBOR for witnessing !

A big thank you to Shane for being a by the Clock and numbers maniac so that we could make the impossible, possible. You are a brother I never had! Trust you with my life. My 11 month son smiles at your mug on my phone. He can't wait to ride with us!!

My sister is having her second Brain surgery today so I am some what pre occupied, If you care to see a true IRON HUMAN { not just a BUTT }, this is her site.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/amyhodge

She is my only sister, I dedicated my ride to her.

Phil