BBG Hell Week - Mission Complete!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats. Amazing, I didn't think you were going ahead with it. That is some insane riding, glad you made it safe. More miles than I can ride right now.

You are and will be The Man for some time to come ! Hard to fathom what you had to pull out of the depths of your soul to pull this off. Long Live The King !

Fuck you must like riding eh? or is there something you are trying to get away from??? As most have said you are indeed a crazy MOFO but very impressive still mad but impressive man!

Last edited by a moderator:
But I promise you this: this BBG Hell Week event WOULD NOT have been successful without Brian Roberts to work the bike, and his wife Jan Roberts who took care of my various injuries, and as a trained, certified Nutritionist, she also took care took care of feeding me all week. Here she is working on the palm of a completely toasted throttle hand after feeding me:

When I first heard about this attempt, I thought you'd really finally lost ALL your marbles. When I read your plan, I knew you were a damn genius. Recruiting the Roberts was brilliant and I know that without the team, this ride wouldn't have been successful. But the fact remains, you rode the ride. Incredible. A big congratulations on accomplishing this goal, Dale. Well done!

Paul Peloquin

Monmouth OR

So waddup wit da arm?
The orthopedic surgeon does not want to operate. He claims the likelihood of significant improvement after this procedure for men in my age group is poor, at best. So.... if we weren't going to operate, then I needed to make a decision to go now, right now (while there are still some relatively long daylight hours, although we are past the Summer Solstice), or whether I wait another year.

Didn't want to wait. So I left for my "base camp" at Fernley , Nevada on Friday, July 13th.

"Day 1" was the next day, Saturday, July 14th. B)

Just curious...have you spoken with the folks at Guinness?
Some time ago, the Guinness folks stopped certifying any event that involves a time/distance record on public roads. Liability concerns, etc.

Which is fine, really. The main motivation behind doing this is that so many, many people (most being within the LD community) said it couldn't be done. IIRC, the current record for consecutive BBG's is three..... I thought I would double that, and then set the bar just a bit higher, so I did Day 7.

Mind you, I'll be the first in line to shake the person's hand who legitimately rides 8 consecutive BBGs.

Assuming it happens in my lifetime..... ;)
I think I will buy you a guiness in PC. And i thought Kaitsdad was crazy.

Richard

Wow.

Great Job!

Also a job well done to Brian, and of course myself.

(Brian for the grueling work done to the bike and to me for my donation.) :D

Dude... Absolutely incredible. I can't even fathom this. 800 miles in a day is a lot. Then double it. Then sleep 4.5 hours. Then do it again. Seven times. Heeeellllloooo!?!?

This is mind-numbing to me especially considering you put more than twice the mileage on your bike in 1 week than I did on mine in over two years!! Not that that says anything positive about me, but damn boy, who cares - you are a sick SOB!!

-BD

Congrats Dale, that's quite an amazing accomplishment.

Given the recent pace of IBA certs for single BBGs, are you making plans to let them know where you'll be in 2014, when the paperwork has been processed?

Have to patch any tires along the way, or did the bike have any mechanical issues while on the road?

How convenient was it to have all that extra fuel for the ride?

Congrats again...

Groo

Well then. Very nice work Dale. Time management, sleep management, outstanding focus and a well planed out team strategy for command and control. Maintaining an average of around 80 mph every roughly 19 hour day, day after day, through 2 fuel stops each day and any unplanned stops.

Question - Did you do a third fuel stop at the end of each day to be ready for the next day, or did Brian handle that as well?

Dale,

All I can say is that you are a man of your word. You wanted to accomplish something that has never before been done and YOU DID IT!! You are indeed a CHALLENGE driven man and your discipline and comittment to the ride makes you a LDR legend once again. Some folks might think it insane to make the ride, but I totally understand your taking on the task. Truly UNIQUE man you are. Congrats on your success and I know you had much assistance from others. I am humbled that I was able to contribute to your success with a small donation. See you in PC.

VR

Have to patch any tires along the way, or did the bike have any mechanical issues while on the road?
Didn't seem to keep a rear tire on long enough to get any punctures, evidently... went through 3 rear Avon Storms, PLUS a new rear Pilot Road.

A single front Avon Storm, OTOH, totally went the distance - including the 640-mile ride to the Start Line, and back to Washington!

And, no, the Blackbird was absolutely flawless; had no issues whatsoever, and it did everything that was asked of it. It was awesome.

How many animal/critter strikes??
Any LEO encounters?
No animal strikes, though it wasn't for lack of effort on the part of the range cattle on the ET Highway! :blink:

LEO encounters: This was minimal. There were a few encounters, but nothing we're going to discuss in the public forum, thank you. ;)

Question - Did you do a third fuel stop at the end of each day to be ready for the next day, or did Brian handle that as well?
Neither.

There was no ending fuel at the completion of a BBG. In addition to needing that time to sleep, I didn't want Brian to have to maneuver the extra 90 lbs on the bike as he changes tires, performs PM, etc. When I rolled into Brian's garage at the end of every BBG, that stops the clock (on his Witness form) for that 24hr period. When I would start the next BBG at 5 the next morning, I would refuel at that time.

The critical "time-stamp" was the very first gas purchase. This receipt said it was Saturday, July 14, 2007 @ 04:58 PDT. So every 24-period would "start" and end at 04:58 am PDT, with the finale being 04:58 am PDT on Saturday, July 21, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, this is pretty cool. Actually this is pretty incredible to say the least. I read this post a few hours ago and have just come back - I can't absorb it... too many superlatives to describe but you sir are the man and this accomplishment speaks for itself.

Congratualations, have a safe ride to PC, I'll look forward to shaking your hand!

Rich

LEO encounters: This was minimal. There were a few encounters...
Did any of the GOOJF stuff I sent help?! Probably not, but I had to ask.
Since I was collecting my first citation (just outside Lovelock) within the first hour of Day One.... I would say, no. :unsure:

However, that was the only reportable citation I received all week, and it was written for 5mph over the posted speed limit.... so I guess that was all good.

Will you be in Park City this coming weekend? If so, we should chat about a couple of your brethren.... :D ;)