Beers Worthy of a Destination

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The North Coast Brewing Co in Ft. Bragg, CA is a great place. Access to Hwy 1 and all the epic roads you've seen posted here so often including CA-36, 299 and Skaggs Springs.
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout is a winner.

741157_10151237121133952_1516728035_-0.jpg
stout.jpg

That looks awesome and I was just there a couple of years ago. Dammit!!!

Another great one to try if you're ever in the Chicago area would be Goose Island. Had the opportunity to swing by one of their locations when on a business trip over the winter. Always liked their beers at the various tasting events I attend (like ACBF in Boston), and they were even better in person.

Another great one to try if you're ever in the Chicago area would be Goose Island. Had the opportunity to swing by one of their locations when on a business trip over the winter. Always liked their beers at the various tasting events I attend (like ACBF in Boston), and they were even better in person.
That's an awesome brewery but a terrible MC destination.

The toughest thing about having a brewery or pub (or distillery, for that matter) as a motorcycle ride-to destination is that responsible old pharts such as most FJR owners are generally not willing to ride impaired. So, that means buying samples "to-go" to be enjoyed later (not always an easy trick) or doing an overnight somewhere nearby.

Making it into an over-nighter, with that added expense, means you would either already be in the area for other pursuits (i.e. great riding area or some other attractions) or it had better be some damn-fine-beer.

As many of you know, our son works as a brewer at a craft brewery in Windsor, Vermont, that also has a nice casual beer-garden pub-restaurant (Harpoon Brewery). Being in Vermont, it is a worthy place to ride to, and around (unlike their downtown Boston, main campus) But, visiting the brewery on the bike just doesn't happen all that much. As much as we love the beers that they produce, not to mention the atmosphere of their beer-garden, trying to visit and abstain from imbibing is just too much for this beer lover to stomach. So, we generally four-wheel it if we'll be stopping by for a visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple new brews that I would love to sample at the source: The closest would be Ithica NY. I've been enjoying the Ithica Brewing Flower Power IPA. Yummy.

Another favorite lately has been the Uinta Hop Notch (now Hop Nosh) IPA. super delicious but a furrther ride for us east coasters as the Brewery is in Utah. Still a great destination, right??

I also have may west coast favorites, Lagunitas and Stone bothe have several varieties worth drinking. You CA folks got it good!

The toughest thing about having a brewery or pub (or distillery, for that matter) as a motorcycle ride-to destination is that responsible old pharts such as most FJR owners are generally not willing to ride impaired. So, that means buying samples "to-go" to be enjoyed later (not always an easy trick) or doing an overnight somewhere nearby.
Making it into an over-nighter, with that added expense, means you would either already be in the area for other pursuits (i.e. great riding area or some other attractions) or it had better be some damn-fine-beer.

As many of you know, our son works as a brewer at a craft brewery in Windsor, Vermont, that also has a nice casual beer-garden pub-restaurant (Harpoon Brewery). Being in Vermont, it is a worthy place to ride to, and around (unlike their downtown Boston, main campus) But, visiting the brewery on the bike just doesn't happen all that much. As much as we love the beers that they produce, not to mention the atmosphere of their beer-garden, trying to visit and abstain from imbibing is just too much for this beer lover to stomach. So, we generally four-wheel it if we'll be stopping by for a visit.
Fred, you're absolutely right. My limit when riding is one. Driving is two. Once the ABV was higher than expected and I got to sit and read my Nook for an hour or so before venturing forth. Still, to go to a brewpub and have one .. or maybe a couple samplers adding up to 16 oz .. is tough. I much prefer the strategy of ending a ride at a hotel within walking distance of a great brewpub. I've done this many times.

That's the essence of this thread: A destination where you can call it a night at a great brewpub, and the local riding is superb. I've not been to Vermont but it is definitely on my list.

I still feel that Portland, OR is one of the great beer destinations. The riding in the area is excellent, the beer and food is as well. Their extensive public transportation system and densely brewpubulated downtown means that nearly any hotel will be within non-riding distance. Heck, my buddy and I took a half day in Portland and visited six brewpubs... on foot. If you can time is the Oregon Brewfest during the third week of July you're golden.

Bend is another such location. There are 3 or 4 breweries downtown Bend (and more in the area) with a couple hotels there as well. Less congestion makes it a nice alternative to Portland.

I really need to get my summer vacation plans in place!

Last year did the Oregon "Beer Byways" tour. Got the shirt to prove it.

Barley Brown's in Baker City, OR was worthy. One of the owners is a former MX champ. So some of the beers are named accordingly. SPeed Wobble, Two Smoke (not for the light of palate), Tumble off & Tank Slapper.

https://www.barleybrownsbeer.com/

It was just one of the Breweries we stopped at during our 4-day excursion in east WA & OR.

Rode during the day, stayed in towns with brew pubs at night.

20140825_203203_zpsab3b8a63.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In South Western Ontario I can recommend New Limberg brewery in Nixon Ontario for their Belgium Blonde and especially for their Black Sheep milk stout.