Best company in No. Carolina?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BentAero

Reaction score
Insurance varies wildly from state to state. Anyone know who is price competitive in No. Carolina?

Dairyland is not sold here. :( Progressive is outragous!

Don't know who is the best, but I know that State Farm is trying to discourage motorcycle policies in most areas of NC.

I did some minor shopping around and landed a good quote and excellent customer service (so far) from AAA Carolinas. I used the Wilmington office but did everything via email and phone with them.

BTW, I have been a State Farm customer since 1978 and have their "guaranteed insurability" status, multiple policies, homeowners etc. with them. They obviously and simply do not want my motorcycle business.

I have progressive on my RoadStar, but ironically you're right, they were crazy-high on the FJR. So I ended up with Geico on it.

Try American Modern Insurance.........google it.........and find out if they write in your state. I have it because they are a Best A+ rated company, the rate they quoted me by far was the best. However, I can not speak for their claims handling............hopefully I never will :blink:

Don't know who is the best, but I know that State Farm is trying to discourage motorcycle policies in most areas of NC.
I did some minor shopping around and landed a good quote and excellent customer service (so far) from AAA Carolinas. I used the Wilmington office but did everything via email and phone with them.

BTW, I have been a State Farm customer since 1978 and have their "guaranteed insurability" status, multiple policies, homeowners etc. with them. They obviously and simply do not want my motorcycle business.

Whoa! Hold the phone! Just got back the AAA quote. Almost seems "to good to be true" if you know what I mean... This is FAR less than anyone else has quoted me. Do you guys see any flaws here?

Bodily Inj 50/100

Prop Dam 50

Unisured 50/100

Underinsured 50/100

Comp 500 ded

Coll 1000 ded

All for $218.96 per 6mo. / $437.92 yr.

And that includes a $20. 'policy' fee. I'm going to call the guy Thursday and confirm everything, but his quote has my name, address, reads "2007 Yamaha FJR1300AWR", the works...

Whoa! Hold the phone! Just got back the AAA quote. Almost seems "to good to be true" if you know what I mean... This is FAR less than anyone else has quoted me. Do you guys see any flaws here?
Bodily Inj 50/100

Prop Dam 50

Unisured 50/100

Underinsured 50/100

Comp 500 ded

Coll 1000 ded

And that includes a $20. 'policy' fee. I'm going to call the guy Thursday and confirm everything, but his quote has my name, address, reads "2007 Yamaha FJR1300AWR", the works...
Off the top of my head that seems comparable to my coverage and rate with them. AAA Carolinas was almost half of State Farm for identical coverages.

:)

I called the agent back today to get clarification and ask the "are you sure" questions. I was pleasantly surprised by some of his comments. Such as: "We insure touring bikes and cruisers only. If you're a squid on a crotch rocket, go somewhere else, because we won't insure them". Wow! My kind of insurance company.

Do you know what an FJR is? "Yep, we insure lots of them."

I told him of a 10 over award I received in 2005... "Nope, it's not showing up. Must be the State of TN didn't report it."

The $20 application fee is a one time only, so the actual annual premium is $397.92 . I said I'd call him back as soon as I got the VIN #. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a pretty good deal.

I went with Integon ( division of GMAC) at around $385/6mos.... but I have 100/300 and not 50/100 and 500/500 deductibles from yours above...... likely the reason mine is higher...

Actually had a hard time finding insurance in NC... NC insurance laws suck.... all the nationally advertised ones either dont write in NC or are obscenely higher than other states ( I came from VA and it was way better there,,,,)..

you want to find something hard to insure, try doing a Boss Hoss ( previous bike).... they ask how many cc? I say 5,700... <click>..... went thru 13 companies before getting a bite.. finally got insured for about $1200/year... again thru Integon...

Mosa

:( Progressive is outragous!
They just quoted me $293 for a year! $313 with the uninsured motorists (not shown in this quote)

Vehicle #1 -2007 YAMAHA FJR1300

Transport Trailer:

No coverage

Bodily Injury & Property Damage:

$25,000 person/$50,000 accident/$10,000 property damage

Uninsured/<br>Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury:

$25,000 person/$50,000 accident UM

Medical Payments:

No coverage

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage:

No coverage

Comprehensive:

$250 Deductible

Collision:

$250 deductible

Roadside Assistance coverage:

No coverage

Custom Parts and Equipment:

That doesn't seem too bad, does it? It's about $200 less than the guy doing my house and cars.

Based on your location in your profile I'm assuming that was a quote for IN? Per the suject of the thread, we were talking about rates in NC and I can attest that Progressive was pretty outrageous for the FJR here in NC and SC.

Watch your limits people..............50k aint squat these days.........if you have any assets you better protect them kuz after the 50k is gone there coming after your assets.............you better get 100/300 liability limits coverage and do as I do and secure an umbrella liability policy to kick in, in case the limits are breached, in my case I got a 1 million umbrella which covers not only my motorcycle liability but all my auto liabilities for all 3 vehicles and my homeowners liability should someone be injured while on my property/house. This is what I do for a paycheck..........trust me on this one 50k aint enough!

Bodily Inj 50/100

Prop Dam 50

Unisured 50/100

Underinsured 50/100

Comp 500 ded

Coll 1000 ded

Do you have a number/name for the agent? I can't find anything under $1200 in huntersville - 37 yrs old, not driving blemishes etc. .....

Watch your limits people..............50k aint squat these days.........if you have any assets you better protect them kuz after the 50k is gone there coming after your assets.............you better get 100/300 liability limits coverage and do as I do and secure an umbrella liability policy to kick in, in case the limits are breached, in my case I got a 1 million umbrella which covers not only my motorcycle liability but all my auto liabilities for all 3 vehicles and my homeowners liability should someone be injured while on my property/house. This is what I do for a paycheck..........trust me on this one 50k aint enough!
A follow up to Donalds suggestion: I called Kevin Brunson at AAA and had my coverages upped to the 100/300/100 for a whopping $8.

(I already have the million $ umbrella policy)

Sort of a no-brainer.

Thanks Donald.

A follow up to Donalds suggestion: I called Kevin Brunson at AAA and had my coverages upped to the 100/300/100 for a whopping $8.

(I already have the million $ umbrella policy)

Sort of a no-brainer.

Thanks Donald.
I guess I'll give AAA a call also. Mine was quoted from Erie as $570/year but when I received the bill, it was $750/year. Agent said she could only give me an estimate on the phone, but the underwriter figures up the actual cost. That "estimate" pretty much sucked. I'm a AAA member so I'll try that also. Reading other posts makes it sound like $750/year really isn't that bad but I'm always up for saving a few hundred dollars when I get a chance! :rolleyes:

Herkypilot

UPDATE:

I received a quote today of $531.96 /year + 20 fee. You have to pay attention to the way they classify the bike. Kevin Brunson no longer works in this department, and the initial quote had the bike as a sport (not a tour) bike. The initial quote over the internet at AAAcarolinas was for $1,100. I called and mentioned the info I read on this site and Adam Broome said it may be the way the bike was classified for the quote. He refigured it as a tour style bike and he resent the quote as $531.96. Looks like I'll be switching from Erie to AAA with a $218.00 savings!