Best route creation software - by far

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed, I printed out the Agenda and plan to go through that. It looks like it will really make things "click" so to speak. Appreciate that piece as well. Being the leader in the Motorcycle GPS industry, I never understood why Garmin can't create a simple to use program without spending hours of use learning it. It shouldn't be that difficult. I know I'm preaching to the choir.
Agree 100%!

It might be powerful, but to a new user, it's not very intuitive. I've been using computers and software for about 40 years now, and after 30 minutes with it, I still can't create anything like what you are showing. "Agenda" has been mentioned repeatedly, there's no "Agenda" button or menu list on my version (downloaded this morning for the Mac platform).
I've love to use it, and will, but intuitive to use, it is not, from a new user standpoint.
The Agenda link was shown in the video. Here is the direct address:

https://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp.htm

(warning - unsolicited sarcasm forthcoming. Usual disclaimers apply....)

Wow. That looks to be a very extensive explanation. All 54 pages of it.

Bookmarked for a rainy weekend when I can't ride.

Oh wait - I've got a bike you can ride in the rain. Scratch that.

(sigh)

(sigh)
Exactly my point about it being "intuitive".

I fought my way half way through the Agenda. In the middle of the first example, threw up my hands in disgust. Even with two displays, one for BaseCamp and one for Agenda, it was a slog. I agree with the point above -- pick a start point and an end point, let it figure a route, then tweak it using "I" and "Z." Like others, I start with a paper map (actually Theresa does that) then go to BaseCamp for the routes to be loaded to the GPS.

I loved MapSource but being able to have waypoints that do not announce themselves is a benefit.

I fought my way half way through the Agenda. In the middle of the first example, threw up my hands in disgust. Even with two displays, one for BaseCamp and one for Agenda, it was a slog. I agree with the point above -- pick a start point and an end point, let it figure a route, then tweak it using "I" and "Z." Like others, I start with a paper map (actually Theresa does that) then go to BaseCamp for the routes to be loaded to the GPS.
I loved MapSource but being able to have waypoints that do not announce themselves is a benefit.
99% of the people that I have done the agenda with got it as long as they did not skip anything and were patient. Hang in there, ask questions, and be patient. Mapsource sucks compared to BaseCamp. The trick is getting over the initial learning curve. Tell me specifically what you had trouble with. The answer is usually simple.

(sigh)
It is almost all pictures. It is a piece of cake.

Basecamp is very powerful, but you must learn and practice. If you ever have used Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, you know it’s only limited by your creativity. It is not intuitive either, yet you rarely find people bashing that software. That said once you have mastered the basics you will never go back. It does so much more than any other mapping program. I read about Tyre and Google. Your routes will never come out perfect there will always be glitches and that is the trade-off. Get those funny fingers or miss an important POI. No stats can’t split or join routes. Combine multi day tours in different colors. If you do want to create the best routes, then basecamp is the tool you want.

I too was hesitant to transition from MapSource to Basecamp. Compare it from going from Windows 3.1 to Windows 10. It does so much more; you may not use it all, but does a lot that MapSource could never do.

Basecamp is very powerful, but you must learn and practice. If you ever have used Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, you know it’s only limited by your creativity. It is not intuitive either, yet you rarely find people bashing that software. That said once you have mastered the basics you will never go back. It does so much more than any other mapping program. I read about Tyre and Google. Your routes will never come out perfect there will always be glitches and that is the trade-off. Get those funny fingers or miss an important POI. No stats can’t split or join routes. Combine multi day tours in different colors. If you do want to create the best routes, then basecamp is the tool you want.I too was hesitant to transition from MapSource to Basecamp. Compare it from going from Windows 3.1 to Windows 10. It does so much more; you may not use it all, but does a lot that MapSource could never do.
Great post and very true. If folks think that they can just wing it then they will end up frustrated. If they follow my agenda and skip nothing, then they can save an incredible amount of time and aggravation.

Basecamp is very powerful, but you must learn and practice.
I got pretty comfortable with it last year especially after spending time with Ed's tutorial however much of the nuances slipped away after this past winter. This is definitely something that becomes easier with constant use which I'm not sure fits most of us here. In any case, Ed's work is most valuable and appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my map collection. Copy the desired sections on my HP copier, use my hi-lighters on the routes and put the pages in order. Also carry maps on the trip for evening motel reading and possible plan B options.
That's similar to what I've been doing last couple of years. My current technique, a combination of old-world craftsmanship and technology (who says we can't make anything in America anymore....):

1. Using Google Maps create route.

2. Print route image on color copier, size it to fit tank bag map pocket with +/- on copier.

3. By hand, skillfully trace route with a neon sharpie (pink is a good one).

4. VERY CAREFULLY apply strips of clear packing tape on both sides.

5. Using a traditional hand tool called SCISSORS (don't run with these), custom cut to my liking.

I make one for each day, viola perfectly sized waterproof custom maps. Throw them in the map drawer after rides, remember where I been
smile.png
I have a TOM TOM also but love looking at a map route along the way as well.

Basecamp is very powerful, but you must learn and practice.
I got pretty comfortable with it last year especially after spending time with Ed's tutorial however much of the nuances slipped away after this past winter. This is definitely something that becomes easier with constant use which I'm not sure fits most of us here. In any case, Ed's work is most valuable and appreciated.
Don't need constant use, but you can not let is sit idle for month at a time either. Re-doing the agenda takes half the time and is a great refresher.

I like my map collection. Copy the desired sections on my HP copier, use my hi-lighters on the routes and put the pages in order. Also carry maps on the trip for evening motel reading and possible plan B options.
That's similar to what I've been doing last couple of years. My current technique, a combination of old-world craftsmanship and technology (who says we can't make anything in America anymore....):

1. Using Google Maps create route.

2. Print route image on color copier, size it to fit tank bag map pocket with +/- on copier.

3. By hand, skillfully trace route with a neon sharpie (pink is a good one).

4. VERY CAREFULLY apply strips of clear packing tape on both sides.

5. Using a traditional hand tool called SCISSORS (don't run with these), custom cut to my liking.

I make one for each day, viola perfectly sized waterproof custom maps. Throw them in the map drawer after rides, remember where I been
smile.png
I have a TOM TOM also but love looking at a map route along the way as well.
I used to do this years ago and it sucked. I was constantly looking for non-existent street signs and route signs - very dangerous. It is also very hard to do great complicated routes with a lot of turns. I ended up doing a lot of boring rides using well known well marked roads.

99% of the people that I have done the agenda with got it as long as they did not skip anything and were patient. Hang in there, ask questions, and be patient. Mapsource sucks compared to BaseCamp. The trick is getting over the initial learning curve. Tell me specifically what you had trouble with. The answer is usually simple.
Patient! That's the catch. When the Good Lord was handing out patience, there was one person in line ahead of me and I couldn't wait.
rolleyes.gif

I did get enough from the Agenda to be able to plan my trip from home to BC, taking the roads I wanted by adding "I" waypoints. Dragging did not work that well as I would get some convoluted path that I couldn't clean up. When I use "I" to shape the curve, sometimes the points are "announce" and sometimes not. I want not but other than setting them as "do not announce" after the fact, I can't see how to make them as silent.

Still, I'm sticking with it until I get it. Under a bit of a time crunch now as we leave in a few days. But at least I have us to Revelstoke BC. Just have to find my way home.

I've had great luck using Basecamp, especially if I know the roads. Routes are easy to make. Recently however I have found myself on a disturbing number of unimproved dirt roads. Not just gravel, and Garmin is not avoiding this using the avoid unpaved roads. I found myself doing dirt recently on a farm road with no gravel and so rough the exhaust was grounding out. Settings were Fastest, Avoid Unpaved Roads. Any ride planning I do will continue to be with BaseCamp, but I really hope the map base gets more accurate with regard to paved roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been 43 riders who have contacted me this past week and said that they learned BaseCamp in a few hours using the agenda. Be patient. It can be done.

If you ever have used Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, you know it’s only limited by your creativity. It is not intuitive either, yet you rarely find people bashing that software. That said once you have mastered the basics you will never go back.
Same with Premiere. Years ago I needed to make a 30-minute documentary and knew Windoze movie maker or the software that came with DVD burners wasn't going to cut it. I stumbled on a Sony PC package that included Premiere Light. I bought a book (possibly a "for dummies") and read it. I never looked back. It was nothing like the video editing software I had used before, and made producing that piece SO much simpler.

I too have been frustrated by BaseCamp but now I know about this training doc., I plan to use it and learn how to unlock the features I'm obviously missing..

If you ever have used Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, you know it’s only limited by your creativity. It is not intuitive either, yet you rarely find people bashing that software. That said once you have mastered the basics you will never go back.
Same with Premiere. Years ago I needed to make a 30-minute documentary and knew Windoze movie maker or the software that came with DVD burners wasn't going to cut it. I stumbled on a Sony PC package that included Premiere Light. I bought a book (possibly a "for dummies") and read it. I never looked back. It was nothing like the video editing software I had used before, and made producing that piece SO much simpler.

I too have been frustrated by BaseCamp but now I know about this training doc., I plan to use it and learn how to unlock the features I'm obviously missing..
I created it especially for people like you.