Best route creation software - by far

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a while I couldn't get it to work either. I tried the open-before-BaseCamp thing and thought it still doesn't work until I found out that the screen doesn't automatically switch from BaseCamp to Google Earth anymore. I had to pick my little GE icon and poof! there it was, right where I was trying to see. Kinda stoopit I know, but when you get used to something working one way and it doesn't do that anymore it can be very confusing. Could it be as simple as that for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
help.gif
!!!!!!! Thankfully I haven't had to attempt to figure that out...........

What's the trick to getting the entire route over to the GPS? I spent time figuring this all out, mapped out a nice route, exported it to my GPS, got on the bike, went to the area where it had saved information, picked the name I named it and it just calculated the way there with the normal GPS. Apparently I didn't export the right amount of data? What should you select to get the entire route so it doesn't "Recalcuate" the route on it's own?

When you transfer a route, all it is is a series of via points that describe the route. If the route was originally created on the same version of maps as what is being run on the GPS device, it will load the route in without recalculation. If the route was originally created using an earlier version of maps, or some 3rd party mapping program, even if it was later recalculated in Basecamp or Mapsource using the same / current maps, it will always recalculate after it is transferred to the device.

Recalculating (once) after a route import doesn't usually cause any routing issues unless you have a radicvally different profile of avoidance and preferences running on the GPS vs the PC software. Recalculating the route a second time on the device often causes the route to get dicked up, and should be avoided at all costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the trick to getting the entire route over to the GPS? I spent time figuring this all out, mapped out a nice route, exported it to my GPS, got on the bike, went to the area where it had saved information, picked the name I named it and it just calculated the way there with the normal GPS. Apparently I didn't export the right amount of data? What should you select to get the entire route so it doesn't "Recalcuate" the route on it's own?
Ok, some things I learned along the way to get the route on the GPS to match exactly what I have in BaseCamp on my PC:

- you always check your GPS route against your PC route before using, adding points as needed to get them the same;

- how you chose your route on your gps makes no sense to me. I have to export from BaseCamp to the gps AND import data on the gps after disconnecting from my PC before I can use a route. What you describe is completely foreign to me;

- PC "stuff" and gps "stuff" have to match, as Fred states above.

Perhaps if we knew some specifics of PC OS, mapping software and GPS we could help.